FoBAB 2018

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Gambyt20, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Zealot (579) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Looks like the dates are set for FoBAB on November 16th & 17th. Let the line for GI start now given the variants just announced. Annual farts jokes. Really hoping it will be less crowded with a bigger venue space but doubt that will happen. Either way looking forward to all the great BA beers that will be there.

FBarber likes this.
  2. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (290) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

Hoping to be there for my 5th year in a row!

3. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,823) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

Tried to google but failed to find an answer...what's the new venue?

4. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Zealot (579) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I am just wishfully thinking it would be at a bigger venue!

5. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,823) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

Ah, gotcha. I was excited at the prospect!

An open air venue would end my fart jokes, but knowing weather in Chicago that's a pipe dream...

IlCraftWjgman and Gambyt20 like this.
  6. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (145) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa

I got the e-mail from ImBIBE a few days ago. If you want to join ImBIBE and get early entry you have to do so by August 28th.

November is just over 3 months away, that means FoBAB is going to be here soon!! Save the date, November 16th and 17th, 2018

If you haven't purchased a 2018 membership yet, don't delay. Your 2017 membership will not be valid for the 2018 FoBAB ticket presale.

The 2018 ImBIBE membership must be purchased by Tuesday 8/28/2018 to be eligible for the 2018 FoBAB ImBIBE member presale.

2018 FoBAB presale information will be going out at the end of the month and we don't want you to miss out on this opportunity.

7. croush

croush Defender (664) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I thought there were some additional Imbibe benefits besides just FOBAB early entry. But, looking at their website, I didn’t really see anything. $50 for an extra hour seems awfully steep...maybe this is why I haven’t done it in the past, but I thought there was some other benefit as well.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  8. P739397

P739397 Initiate (51) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

They send a tshirt? I signed up last year thinking there were more benefits too. They never sent a shirt. Then they had my email wrong so I missed out on the member tickets for FoBAB. When I emailed about it, they didn't seem to care. Definitely not worth the money.

croush and Beer_Economicus like this.
  9. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (277) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Even the extra hour felt worth it the last 2 years. BA Karma, Medianoche, multiple Calble Car pours etc. That $50 gives you the 12 beers you have to try/tick and makes the remaining 4 hours a more relaxing/fun experience.

The most interesting thing to me is the move off Vet’s Day weekend. Now Fobab and Prop Day May be on the same weekend which is a major drawback to most of us

10. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Savant (914) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

So it's a week later this year, so it will be the same date as Prop Day unless GI doesn't do it the weekend before Black Friday? Yikes, neckbeard conundrums...

ErrFord, ECOBOOSTINST and flat_lander like this.
  11. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (666) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Same days as Revolution's Deth's Star, Cafe Deth and Deth by Currants release.

12. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (510) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Aren't they moving Prop Day to Black Friday to take the biggest hoarders out of the equation?

13. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (476) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

They only thing they need to do its figure out how to get people in faster. You shouldn't have to wait outside for over an hour to get into an event ontime.

14. croush

Trader

I’m not down with paying $50 for for an hour. The event itself is expensive enough as it is. That’s why I did the session a couple years ago that didn’t have the VIP session. Of course, I’m not sure if I care to pay the high price they increased to last year anyway.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  15. Nbrock24

Trader

I totally understand that viewpoint. For me, it’s the best hour of the whole beer year. But yeah it’s not inexpensive as a whole day

darkwing1 likes this.
  16. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (795) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Don’t quote me on it, but I believe the location will remain unchanged for another year. There was some rumors about moving it to the McCormick Place, but that turned out to be a massive headache.

I don’t know the details of the relationship, but the UIC Forum is owned by a state school and the McCormick Place is mostly controlled by the city. Maybe the price difference was insurmountable? Either way, it looks like we are stuck at the Forum for now...

Despite the high ticket prices, FOBAB doesn’t really make money. It’s a huge PITA to pull off, with millions of moving parts and thousands of expenses.

I know it’s brought up every year, but volunteering is always a good time. Work a session/drink a session, drink while you work and eat free pizza! Worse ways to spend an afternoon.

See you all there, folks! For all it’s flaws, it continues to be one of the greatest beer festivals in the country.

17. HouseofWortship

Trader

Is UIC required to have union labor for every little thing? I know McCormick Place has issues because they have so many union labor rules it's almost at the point that you can't go to the bathroom by yourself without paying a union member to hold your junk for you at the urinal...

dukeandduke likes this.
  18. JohnnyChicago

That might be part of it. I’ve been to many events at the Forum (it’s pretty much the ICBG’s go-to spot) and the rules have always seemed very lax. Sometimes they even have what appears to be students working fests. I assume work/study? I could ask some alums I know, as they may have better insight.

I know part of the problem is that because the McCormick Place is so desirable, events basically enter into bidding wars with each other over weekends. I don’t think the FOBAB organizers were ready for that situation.

If you look at the progression of its location, it has grown with size. First at Rock Bottom, then the art center, then the Forum. Similar events usually like C2E2 and the auto show usually make the McCormick place the final location. Since it is *checks google* holy shit, the largest convention center in NORTH AMERICA!

The FOBAB organizers are in a tough spot. They can basically only grow to a sports stadium or the McCormick Place at this point. I don’t really think outdoors is a great option considering the weather. It ain’t a summer festival...

19. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Aspirant (240) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

i've never understood people that will gladly stand in line for 5 hours to buy one 16.9 oz bottle of beer without ever factoring in the "time=money" equation, yet when told they have to spend $50 to try multiple 2 oz pours of ridiculous beers that will never last the hour, they draw a line in the sand.

20. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (306) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Your point is definitely valid. If you are paying $80 for a beer fest and then have to pay another $50, that turns people off. Also, getting friends to agree to $130 and buy a membership by a certain date is unlikely.

Chris_H_2 likes this.
  21. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Aspirant (240) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

by the way, i realize that this came off as judgy, and it wasn't intended to be. i just legitimately was interested in the rationale.

pudgym29 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  22. ktr5010

ktr5010 Initiate (84) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Seems like there is a bunch of back and forth on this event mainly because of organization/line waiting. I have never been. Is the general consensus that it's worth attending?

23. Jplachy

One of the best beer festivals I attend every year.

Ferocious, darkwing1 and ktr5010 like this.
  24. Nbrock24

Trader

It’s a great event and I am a huge proponent of the Imbibe hour. The food situation is awful and I don’t know if there’s much they can do about it (being in a building as opposed to outside with food trucks). So it requires a big late breakfast/early lunch at a place like Manny’s. The Lost Abbey/Jester King sours, previewing the BCBS lineup, and the emergence of a new beer (More and Arclight last year) all make it worth it. Plus there’s a ton of great beer you don’t have to wait for that doesn’t run out

25. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (135) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

If you can tolerate the crowd and its negative effects (long lines, whales kicking immediately, ambient flatulence) it's just about a perfect fest.

FBarber and jaysker95 like this.
  26. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (137) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Paid my $50 for the first time yesterday. Looking forward to that extra hour

stevegoz, Nbrock24 and Kraz like this.
  27. jlsims04

Trader

What about the Ball Room at Navy Pier? They did Sierra Nevada there and I feel like there were way more people than FOBAB. That space is huge. IF that wasn't big enough there are the Exhibition Halls as well. The total has to be well over 100k square feet available between the 3 rooms.

28. jlsims04

Trader

Just Checked.

UIF Forum 23k sqft
    Navy Pier
    Aon Ball Room - 18k sqft
    Hall A 113k sqft
    Hall B 57k sqft.

I think that would be a much better option over a sports stadium or McCormick. I know they are cool with beer events as they have held several.

29. JohnnyChicago

Pretty sure the Navy Pier group is the same ones that deal with McCormick Place. I’m sure it’s been looked into. I’m guessing it’s nearly as expensive.

From conversations I’ve had with people who are making these decision, it seems like they want the next location change to be the final one. That might be the reason McCormick Place was the primary target.

30. HouseofWortship

Trader

I just don't see how they could get McCormick Place. I would think that McCormick probably is contractually tied to a specific distributor similar to a sports stadium and that the servers would have to be union employees of the venue...

31. Jplachy

Rev pours at C2E2 so I'm not sure that's fully accurate.

Ferocious likes this.
  32. jlsims04

Trader

I'm sure its possible. But its also been used as a venu for a beer festival before, has the space to be the final location, and is in a better location. It also has segmented rooms allowing for future growth. It is also more set up for events like this over McCormick.

IlCraftWjgman and JohnnyChicago like this.
  33. HouseofWortship

Trader

So who does the pouring at those events? Volunteers?

34. jlsims04

Trader

I honestly don't rememver. I think it was brewery reps last time.

35. damasta414

damasta414 Initiate (31) Mar 7, 2017 Wisconsin

Only voluteers pour at FoBAB.

36. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (81) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

when i went in 2016 it was volunteers who got a free ticket to a different time slot.

37. HouseofWortship

Trader

I was asking for the stuff at McCormick place.

38. croush

Trader

I’ve been to wine events at Navy Pier before, and pretty sure they cost less than FOBAB. I’m pretty sure winery reps poured at those.

39. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (306) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Try it out. It's crowded and there is definitely line waiting but it's fun. Don't expect to try all the whales.

40. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (232) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I don't think that's entirely accurate.

Look at Soldier Field. They definitely have a beer exclusive contract, I think with Miller, and they typically host 1 beer event every year on their field with brewery reps pouring.

I honestly think if they're scaling you to another venue, they should have considered the other venue at UIC, the Pavilion, or the Wintrust Arena.

I want functionality more than anything else. I hate that rows are so close that their lines make moving very difficult at times.

If this is not big enough yet for McCormick, those are probably more practical for incremental scaling

Beer_Economicus and GuyFawkes like this.