FoBAB 2018

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Gambyt20, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_King

the_King Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Michigan

It's a mess. It is the worst run beer event I have ever been to. All the talk about the venue size is all you need to know. I've been twice, left early both times because how ridiculously crowded it was.

Ditkastache and GuyFawkes like this.
  2. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’ve never had an issue getting an Uber/Lyft from UIC. Sure there’s a surge, but that’s to be expected.

It’s also a half mile to the blue line, and a bus can take you to it.

Ferocious and xdtfx like this.
  3. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Pundit (995) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’ve walked to Union Station the last 5 years. 2 of the years there was snow, and my trail of footsteps was not a straight line.

4. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

I have volunteered multiple times. Each time we were expected to move kegs to the appropriate places, ice them, dump water at the end of the night, clean, etc. Im not saying there is no work that goes on in the background but to say all volunteers do is pour is ridiculous. 2 of the session to work are specifically for set up and tear down.

My point remains. If they sell 1k tickets to each session (just a guess) they are making 200k + in profit as I cannot imagine fees to the UIC being more than 50k

5. jlsims04

Its far from that. Also. its not like it is not well documented what to expect. you wait maybe 5min tops for pours that are not GI's line. Most have no line at all. It a pretty great fest with some issues but is far from the worst.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  6. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois

For folks like us who enjoy volunteering and are choosing to avert from complaining about yet another aspect they dont care for in the craft beer world, I have a question.....

If you volunteered last year then I heard rumblings that an auto generated email will be sent this year asking if you want to volunteer again. Is that true? Last year was my first go around.

For all the folks who are choosing to spend their time formulating a negative post about this event....save the characters and dont attend. It's simple. You don't have to go. You can always find negatives in anything in life....especially in this beer scene nowadays. FOBAB happens to have many positives that a lot of us will CHOOSE to focus on instead. Cheers.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  7. ebe2023

ebe2023 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2016 Illinois

Don’t check a coat, that was probably the crazy thing last year. People were getting at each other at last year’s Friday session. LoL

8. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It’s been hit or miss with emails. Best bet is to be on the lookout, but also keep an on eye on their website, BA, Facebook, etc, for when the link goes up.

ryno0384 likes this.
  9. ChangSing

ChangSing Zealot (640) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I think as long as you have managed expectations you'll enjoy it. If you go in thinking "I'm gong to have every beer on my wish list.." and you don't,naturally you'll be let down/upset because of the crowds. My biggest gripe isn't so much the crowd, but the layout..to me, it's a pain in the ass to find beers because of how it's set up.

all that being said, of the 3 times I've gone, Claire's Thirsty by Haymarket is by far the best beer I've been able to try and you can drink that all session long.

10. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

I volunteer every year; for sure, there is more to do than just pour, but I’ve never had to clean up vomit or broken glass or a toilet. Never had to work security, never had to set up audio on the stage. There’s a lot that goes into an event this size.

As far as the 50k, I admit, I have NO idea what the place costs, but that seems low. Doesn’t the average US couple spend like 13k on their wedding venue?
    A place that size for 2 whole days has to be a bit pricy...

11. jlsims04

Sure but its the middle of November. Even if you double the average wedding space to 25k over two days and get to 50(i would be willing to bet quite alot its less than that) your other expensive are fairly low post that. My point is. they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars of profit.

12. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Whoa, this is some true farmer’s almanac-style math! Calculate in the average US wedding, subtract the season, multiply by the weekend...:grin:
    But, you know what, this has definitely piqued my interest. Seeing these festivals go off from the inside, it always looks like a mad scramble, but I am kinda curious what the financial deal is, so I’ll bring it up the next chance I get.

@jlsims04 what day are you going? We’ve got to have a beer together.

13. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

they fixed it Saturday with no problems so I don't forsee that an issue this year.

14. jlsims04

Usually try to volunteer on Friday afternoon and attend Saturday Night. Always game for a beer!

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  15. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,629) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They definitely need to fix the venue and crowding. It is very unhealthy. Every year I go I feel great until I get inside. Within an hour of being inside I start feeling different. By the end of the night I have a terrible headache, my balance is off, and I develop a stomach illness. The next morning I don't want to do anything, but stay in bed and hope my cold goes away.

16. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Zealot (612) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

What about the Donald E. Stevens Convention Center? I know it's not in the city, but it's right by the Blue Line, and I imagine it's cheaper than McCormick Place (Especially since the IL CPA Society uses it for their convention)

#76 FleskBrewFan, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    HouseofWortship likes this.
  17. macewank

macewank Zealot (666) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Diabetus

HouseofWortship likes this.
  18. Jplachy

Jplachy Pooh-Bah (1,664) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You guys are KILLING me with this thread. They don't rent the Forum for 2 days. They rent it for 4-5 days. It takes 2 days of prep and one day for tear down. So double whatever you think it costs to rent AN ENTIRE COMPLEX. Which some of you seem to think costs zero dollars so I guess its still free.

Ferocious and stevegoz like this.
  19. Jplachy

Jplachy Pooh-Bah (1,664) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Tickets on sale 9/12. Call your accountant to make sure you can afford it.

ktr5010 and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  20. Ferocious

Ferocious Pundit (840) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.