FOBAB (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by NBHeart, Aug 16, 2019.

1. NBHeart

NBHeart Initiate (54) Jul 27, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

i haven’t heard or seen anything about it this year.

2. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (367) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

November 8-9

pudgym29, FBarber and chrismattlin like this.
  3. NBHeart

Trader

Thanks. I just hadn’t seen any updates. I figured by now people would’ve posted

Jplachy likes this.
  4. ChicagoTarheel

ChicagoTarheel Initiate (42) Nov 23, 2013 Illinois

Curious where/when the dates were announced? This is great news. I prefer when Fobab is the 2nd wknd of November & isn't 5 days before Thanksgiving. It's usually an unproductive weekend for me, and then I have to scramble to get ready for the holiday lol. Plus, the weather has a better chance of being decent as you can still get some fairly nice days in early November...

dukeandduke likes this.
  5. Jplachy

Trader

FoBAB.com

6. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (708) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Looking at that photo on the fobab home page of people jammed into UIC looks so sad. I wish Fobab could be staged in the summer in a spacious Chicago park similar to Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison.

7. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (258) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Given the dates are generally finalized, and imbibe tickets are already on sale by now with an announced date for tickets for GA, I'd bet they haven't finalized things yet.

8. Jplachy

Trader

"Wood Barrels. Celebrated Styles. Aged to Perfection. This is FoBAB 2019."

"Admission + Ticketing
    | General admission $85 with three tasting sessions:

• Friday Nov. 8 from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
    • Saturday Nov. 9 from 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
    • Saturday Nov. 9 from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m."

chrismattlin likes this.
  9. ChicagoTarheel

Even though the wording was a little confusing, I don’t think @Ferocious was questioning the dates of this year’s event, just commenting that in the past imbibe tickets had already gone on sale by now (as in by this time of year), with a sale date set for GA tix. Possibly he was speculating a new venue may be in the works?

IMO I highly doubt it, even though I would love a larger, more comfortable space for this event. Last year, ticket sales were delayed as well (relative to past years). Tickets took forever to sell out after they jacked up prices in 2017 ($60 to $85), with only Sat AM Session selling out before Fobab weekend. So my assumption is last year they decided to delay the dates the tickets went on sale in hopes it would improve sales (& hype).

10. ChicagoTarheel

But I feel like Fobab is more conducive to a cooler time of year. I completely agree they need to upgrade the space they hold the event in, or at the very least improve how they set up within UIC Forum. Chicago could def use a big summer beer event on par with Madison. Maybe Chicago could have one in a different summer month to space them out. I love The Great Taste, did you go last weekend?

11. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (79) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

Imbibe tickets didn’t go onsale until August 30 last year. Nothing is different this year from any other on the pre-sale timing, though I did notice they no longer send an email asking you to renew Imbibe.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  12. ChicagoTarheel

I was saying last year they changed up the timing relative to prior years. I’d imagine this year would be similar to last year.

13. ChicagoTarheel

Edit: just realizing you’re speaking of imbibe presale, not GA sale. However, last year’s imbibe presale was Sept 5th. If imbibe presale is the same as ever, cool. They def used to announce all the info for everything by early August...

#14 ChicagoTarheel, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Ferocious likes this.
  14. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (697) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

According to https://www.illinoisbeer.org/imbibe/ you must have an active membership by August 25th in order to be able to buy the pre-sale imbibe FOBAB ticket. Might want to get on that.

DeadWax likes this.
  15. ChicagoTarheel

People probably aren't that worried about this, but for the purpose of accuracy, I looked back at the sale dates from the last few years. Turns out both the presale & GA sale have been about the same the past 3 Fobab's (2016-2018), with the GA sale being mid-September & presale being the week prior (Last year: Sept 5th & 12th). Going back further, GA sale was Sept 4 in 2015; Aug 25 in 2014; Aug 21 in 2013.

And while I'm at it, price:
    $40, 2013
    $60, 2014-2016
    $85, 2017-present

Note, 2013 was the final year at the Bridgeport Art Center Skyline Loft, so the price jump from $40 to $60 seemed fair enough when they changed to a larger venue. However, I'm still slightly salty with the price hike from $60 to $85 with no upgrades, when the Great Taste is $60 for a much better fest, but what can you do...

16. diamdiam

diamdiam Initiate (41) Jan 18, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Does imbibe send you a confirmation email after purchase? I didn't get anything, and don't remember from previous years.

17. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (79) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

I also only got a “Thank you” Page after the transaction went through but no email so far.

18. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (189) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I received an email a few days after I signed up (last week).

19. Bretts545

Bretts545 Initiate (54) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

Might make you more upset to know that they don't even buy the beer from breweries. That is all donated on top of charging the brewery $100 per brand.

20. Jplachy

Trader

FoBAB is a fundraiser for the Illinois Craft Brewer's Guild and has FAR FAR less resources and sponsors than Great Taste of the Midwest.

21. HouseofWortship

Trader

Tax deductible marketing expense. Boohoo.

Really? Isn't the GToM a volunteer based organization? Do they have a paid staff?

Beer_Economicus and jlsims04 like this.
  22. diamdiam

diamdiam Initiate (41) Jan 18, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Just got the confirmation email and so did my friend.

DeadWax likes this.
  23. Jplachy

Trader

The money isn't to pay the staff its to pay for literally everything else. And in exchange keep the ticket prices low.

macewank and dukeandduke like this.
  24. NBHeart

Trader

Any update?

25. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (350) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Presale Wednesday

26. goods_the_man

goods_the_man Initiate (31) Apr 26, 2016 Illinois

I haven't seen anything posted on the website or their Twitter that confirms this. Where did you hear about this?

Edit: Assuming this is coming from IMBIBE. In that case, I'm curious when they'll announce the public sale.

#27 goods_the_man, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Nbrock24 likes this.
  27. ChicagoTarheel

IMBIBE e-mail says public GA sale is 10a Wed Sept 18th. Odd there hasn’t been a formal announcement on their website or social media...

whatruDOINdragic likes this.
  28. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (350) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The email went out to Imbibe....with the wrong dates/days on the links. I imagine another email will be coming at some point.

29. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (153) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed it's odd, especially since we're now within a week from the sale. Has this been confirmed anywhere else?

30. EastHastings

EastHastings Initiate (30) Jan 30, 2019 Estonia
    Trader

I've never been to FOBAB before, so a newbie question here.. if I understand correctly, the ticket includes 20 pours. How much are the extra pours?
    Also, do you usually attend just one session or multiple sessions? I assume that there are different beers poured during different sessions.

31. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (155) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

The beers are the same for the three sessions. I have never seen a charge for the extra pours. Mots of the time they don't keep close track. Whether you go to one or more is personal preference. I have been to a session on Friday and one on Saturday, but for me it would be tough to do both sessions on Saturday as most of the beers are high alcohol content.

Though the beers are the same for all three sessions, often the most popular beers will kick very quickly so there might be some variation in what you can actually get from session to session.

EastHastings likes this.
  32. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (263) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

1. I think they have to give a specific number of tickets for legal reasons but they have never collected them. It's as many pours as you want
    2. One session, attending two would be bonkers
    3. The beers poured are all the same, part of the condition of breweries attending FOBAB is the provide enough for all three sessions

DeadWax and EastHastings like this.
  33. HouseofWortship

Trader

The only times I've used all of my tickets was my first few Fobabs when I would liberally dump anything that wasn't good after 1 sip and move on(BA programs have come a long way in 10 years, the majority of BA stuff in the early part of the this decade was garbage, now the average BA beer is pretty damn good) and even then the outgoing crowd was just giving their extra tickets away. That being said, as my Fobab game evolved to trying the best stuff and utilizing lines as a reprieve from pounding another high abv sample, I have never come close to using all my tickets.

EastHastings likes this.
  34. EastHastings

EastHastings Initiate (30) Jan 30, 2019 Estonia
    Trader

Thanks, very helpful.
    Also, since there are so many breweries and beer lovers in town for the event, there are probably a lot of side events during the weekend, right? Bottle shares, tap takeovers, that kind of stuff.

dukeandduke likes this.
  35. HouseofWortship

Trader

Tons of tap takeovers and special events. No public bottle shares that I'm aware of...

dukeandduke and EastHastings like this.
  36. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,241) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I volunteer at FOBAB, and wasn't even aware patrons were handed individual pour tickets, we pour for whoever pulls up with a glass.

I'd suggest getting a good food base, arriving early, drinking water / rinsing your glass between pours, and pacing yourself to get the most out of your ticket / day.

Outside of a few "whales" which will likely be tapped by VIP early entrants, you can take your time as most beers are available for the entire event. It also helps to review the substantive (over 300) beer list before, if possible, or go through the book you receive to plot out the top styles / beers you want to hit to start the evening.

One good strategy is to take a break standing in Goose Island BCS line (for variants) when you want to take a break and regain your footing/palate. When it first opens, the lines are short, but by the 90-120 minute mark, the line gets pretty long.

Unless you are very ambitious and like to try just about every style, one session should be enough. FOBAB is a great time, definitely worth checking out.

37. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (150) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

When was/is the presale till? I just looked through my emails and did not find anything even though I signed up. I just emailed them hoping to get a link

38. HouseofWortship

Trader

Hmm, I may go to Fobab with a pint glass....

GuyFawkes likes this.
  39. macewank

macewank Initiate (171) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

The ticket thing is a dumb IL law. Happy hour laws forbid public unlimited sampling events

dukeandduke likes this.