FOBAB (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by NBHeart, Aug 16, 2019.

1. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (155) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

There is no Saturday night VIP so if you are relatively near the front of the line Saturday night you're basically starting off even with everybody else.

Friday night there is a VIP hour so there is a greater chance of being out of a beer by the time non-VIP's get in. Having said that I have seen occasional attempts made to keep some beer back for the non-VIP's, pouring very small pours, cutting off pours for a particular beer after a certain time in VIP, etc.

dukeandduke likes this.
  2. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,241) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I was the volunteer last year responsible for pouring Three Floyd’s Chemtrailmix, it was gone shortly after general admission folks made it in. It was one of the two or three whales pouring non stop the first hour, I helped out with other offerings after my keg was tapped, a few better than Chemtrailmix though they were not as hyped and this where available across all three days.

There are so many offerings, I am not certain the VIP price difference to be worth it, especially since you will not know what specific pours are available until Friday afternoon at the earliest. I do agree it’s nice to have a partially crowded hall to scout out the layout, but most entrants spent the hour circling through the same three or four pours, spending a good deal of time waiting in line. The other factor is four hours for regular admission is more than enough time to responsibly sample the 300+ available offerings. There were many passed out or puking with two hours to go in the two sessions I attended.

As always, controlling the FOMO nearly always works in the Beer Enthusiast’s favor.

#82 dukeandduke, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  3. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (155) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

It's funny, Chemtrailmix was one of the beers I remember getting a very small pour, I'm assuming so more people could try it. Might not have been you pouring though. It might even have been two years ago. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think I'd want to drink a lot of it at once.

dukeandduke likes this.
  4. dukeandduke

Society Trader

If it was last year Friday, it was me or my co-volunteers. We were told to provide smaller pours (1-1.5 ozs) based on the strong ABV and the desire to spread it broadly. We also ran into a very foamy pour before adjusting the keg a few times to pull more per draw.

Beyond the "Whales", people can get as much as they prefer throughout the evening.

5. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (153) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Apart from the fest itself, has anyone seen any events announced? We're just over 3 weeks out but I haven't seen anything yet.

6. ktr5010

ktr5010 Devotee (406) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Was wondering the same thing. I haven't heard anything yet.
    Side note, your avatar makes me laugh pretty much every time I see it.

whatruDOINdragic likes this.
  7. EastHastings

EastHastings Initiate (30) Jan 30, 2019 Estonia
    Trader

Are there any events that take place every year before/after FOBAB? Coming for FOBAB for the first time, very excited :slight_smile:

8. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (711) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

A keg of Malort Dark Lord has been known to pop up from time to time around those dates....

EastHastings likes this.
  9. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (258) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Events are starting to get announced. Beer Temple has a big BA beer event with several great breweries the Thursday before.

Wouldn't shock me if Mikerphone does something as well

EastHastings and dukeandduke like this.
  10. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (132) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Well last year henna was one of the first to kick and I got some. Waited in line for maybe 45-60 minutes before doors opened. So you don't really have to be VIP you just have to get in line early enough.

dukeandduke likes this.
  11. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,306) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Mikerphone announced a week of events including MikerFoBAB on the 6th (MikerFoBAB details follow).

dukeandduke likes this.
  12. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (350) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Do I have it right that Weldwerks is at Mikerfobab but not Fobab?

13. HouseofWortship

Trader

No, they are listed on the Fobab page as a participating brewery

Beer_Economicus and Nbrock24 like this.
  14. dukeandduke

Society Trader

No, Weldwerks is listed on the FOBAB site. Toppling Goliath isn't, but they do not donate kegs to these types of events, which is why you'll see them at Mikerphone but not FOBAB.

Barn Town, Cigar City and Windmill Brewing are the other three Mikerfobab participants not listed as participants on the FOBAB website.

Beer_Economicus and Nbrock24 like this.
  15. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (350) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Missed them when I last looked. Thanks for the correction. That’s great news after their year off last year. Peach Climacteric and Medianoche Reserve were stellar beers in past Fobabs so I’m excited to see what they come with now

16. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (189) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

17. HouseofWortship

Trader

Does that mean they aren't eligible to be judged if they are releasing that info before hand?

18. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,164) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

No it does not

19. HouseofWortship

Trader

20. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (189) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Per The Beer Temple Beachwood Blendery takeover event:

Beachwood - Bourbon Barrel Sadie (FoBAB Submission)

Beachwood - Come in Grape, Your Time is Up -Zinfandel (FoBAB Submission) Lambic-inspired ale fermented and aged in oak barrels with Zinfandel grapes

21. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,216) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

So...is FoBAB happening this year?

/s

SWChi, Jaycase and HouseofWortship like this.
  22. SWChi

SWChi Defender (619) Oct 25, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

Just got my volunteer email confirmation for Saturday day, 1st time able to make it with the earlier date, can't wait

23. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (258) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Breweries have always been able to promote their submissions before the event, but the event has a policy that they will not promote the submissions before judging has taken place.

lpierce889 likes this.
  24. Hop-Trollop

Hop-Trollop Initiate (90) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

Lucked into a brewer’s pass for Saturday.(whatever that means) Does all of the big hype stuff kick on Friday?

25. dukeandduke

Society Trader

No, most have multiple pours over Friday night and Saturday, though some are not available for Saturday evening.

PACE yourself and keep hydrated and you will enjoy FOBAB!

Hop-Trollop likes this.
  26. Jbrown72

Jbrown72 Initiate (52) May 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I believe that the breweries need to provide a keg/ equal number of bottles for each session, but some kegs might kick in the imbibe vip hour for the Friday and Saturday afternoon sessions.

HouseofWortship and Hop-Trollop like this.
  27. Buddhaa

Buddhaa Initiate (53) Mar 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

With the brewers pass you can go up to the brewers area where they have some food available, and you can skip the insane line the goose island has for their pours and go to the side where brewers can get pours

Jplachy likes this.
  28. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (367) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

It's basically an all access pass. Just don't get so drunk you embarrass whatever breweries name is around your neck.

Hop-Trollop likes this.
  29. HouseofWortship

Trader

Or if you do, put a "Phase Three" tag on there so people start going "Maybe Phase Three is made by people who are a bit too honest."

pudgym29, Hop-Trollop and Jplachy like this.
  30. NNN

NNN Initiate (106) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Any events today or tomorrow that y'all are excited about

31. Jplachy

Trader

Going to bed at a decent hour.

Jbrown72 likes this.
  32. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (150) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

That's cute, Jim.

33. Jplachy

Trader

Thanks.

34. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (265) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Jbrown72 and SWChi like this.
  35. Hop-Trollop

Hop-Trollop Initiate (90) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

I’ll be on my best behavior.

Jplachy likes this.
  36. nheinemans

nheinemans Initiate (181) Nov 4, 2017 Netherlands
    Society Trader

So any tips for first time Fobab visitor? I have vip tickets for Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. Do I have to get in line early, do I need to pick up a wristband (or is the qr code on the ticket all I need to get in)? Do they have some kind of food, and water?

37. Jplachy

Trader

Go fast, then slow, then fast again....sorry did you say FoBAB? Oh. Yeah. Anyways. Get in line as early as you want. There are 200+ beers on the floor. If you miss something oh well you're gonna try lots of amazing beer. They will wristband you before you get inside. They don't have food. For the love of god eat something before you arrive. There is plenty of water.

38. HouseofWortship

Trader

Keep drink tickets in your beer glass hand and the other hand free for doing this all night:

[​IMG]

tjk135, jaysker95 and GuyFawkes like this.
  39. nheinemans

nheinemans Initiate (181) Nov 4, 2017 Netherlands
    Society Trader

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of advice I needed.

40. dukeandduke

Society Trader

This Beachwood on draft is incredible. Amalgamator was billed as on par or better than PtE, I would like to drink both side by side but have to agree there are merits for either. Working on this Hops of Brixton which is also great, and will close out with Mocha Machine before scurrying away with fresh Amalgamator cans. I will most certainly hit this brewery next visit to SC. Plenty of cans available in the bottle shop (everything in stock on their Instagram except the retired beer).

I shouldn’t even be drinking pre FOBAB but alas I am. It’s great to be alive!!!