Fonta Flora December Release

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by treznor, Dec 5, 2016.

1. treznor

treznor Zealot (551) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This just in from Fonta Flora regarding a December release. Giving out wristbands early is pretty cool, guess we'll see how it works out.

2. andyctree

andyctree Aspirant (280) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

...and bottle count based on wristbands handed out.

3. treznor

Beer Trader

I'm assuming you mean bottle limits, not bottle counts. Because that'd be interesting if they could go whip up some more bottles...

Readmorevols and Immortale25 like this.
  4. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,059) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

And is that a bad thing?

5. treznor

Beer Trader

Personally I don't think it is, just another method they're trying out until they hit on the one (or ones) that they like best. Not setting limits until you see the number of wristbands I would say favors locals fairly heavily, as does pre-distributing wristbands.

What'll be interesting is seeing how the limits are set. With a single beer release it's not particularly difficult. Take the number of bottles, divide by the number of wristbands, and then maybe cap it at a certain number if you don't have as many wristbands as you thought you would. But with three beers that could be difficult since there's a decent chance part of the line is only there for one beer, or maybe two. So if you take the safest way out and divide the bottles by wristbands for each beer you may have a lot left over (which may or may not be a bad thing as it'll all get sold eventually) if one beer (let's say... Jitterbug) is much more popular than the others.

That weekend is shaping up to be quite the weekend for beer. WW Angel of Darkness on the 16th, and then Fonta Flora and Oskar Blues on the 17th.

Immortale25 likes this.
  6. Immortale25

Beer Trader

And the solution to that would be to let people go through the line twice. All good points you've made.

treznor likes this.
  7. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (774) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

They've done the determine bottle limits based on wristbands thing a couple of times already, one with Funk & Flora and the other with Razzmatazz if I'm not mistaken.

bcp5296d likes this.
  8. treznor

Beer Trader

As long as the line moves at a decent pace, true. If the line takes 2 hours to process then that's a problem. Of course, if the line takes 2 hours to process then it's a problem for other reasons than setting limits.

9. treznor

Beer Trader

Interesting. Didn't actually make it to the release of either of those and ended up just drinking the draft the day after. There was a while that I was avoiding FF releases because it was all a bit crazy. I'm really enjoying the sanity that's been brought to their releases lately.

NCMonte likes this.
  10. CavemanRamblin

Beer Trader

It worked great and was what I had hoped they would do for Rhythm Rug.

11. Immortale25

Beer Trader

Sorry, I don't see why that would be an issue. At one of the releases last year (can't remember if it was Meemaw or Carolina Custard) we were around 100th in line and it took at least an hour for us to get to the point of sale once they started selling bottles. The fact that you're allowed to drink FF beers in line once they open alleviates the actual waiting inconvenience so I don't see why it would matter if it took a long time otherwise.

12. andyctree

andyctree Aspirant (280) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

No, I think it is a great idea similar to Side Project's way of handling releases

Immortale25 likes this.
  13. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (850) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

but.......

lines :slight_frown:

Why don't they just pre-sell allocations? The wristband is your receipt. Not a fan of having to drive up to get a wristband in advance if I still have to wait in line the day of.

Kingfred and Lonestar9 like this.
  14. treznor

Beer Trader

Problem being that with multiple beers being offered at one time, you'll end up with one or two of the beers being left over at the end, potentially with a lot left over. You want to move the beer so it doesn't sit around taking up space, so you'd want people to go back through line to get whatever is leftover. But that's less likely to happen if the line takes forever to process because the people at the front will go home at some point.

I'm not criticizing at all, I'm just saying that setting limits with a multiple-beer release using a limit-determined-by-the-number-wristbands-given-out system presents some interesting challenges in optimization :slight_smile:

15. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Devotee (488) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This system ha been my favorite.

VABA likes this.
  16. Immortale25

Beer Trader

Oh I see what you're saying. If you've been waiting in line for 3 or more hours and 2 of those hours was while the line was supposed to be moving but it was going at a slow crawl, you're less likely to go wait in line even longer. Good point. They haven't found their sweet spot for beer releases yet, but it's good to see them try and I think they're getting close.

treznor likes this.
  17. WanderFlora

WanderFlora Initiate (73) Oct 4, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

As long as the portion of the line you are drinking in is positioned within the boundaries of our tasting room. Otherwise you will be asked to leave based on legalities. The governments rules, not mine. But everyone should definitely keep in mind that we will have a close eye on pregaming in line.

18. Immortale25

Beer Trader

Ah ok, thank you for the clarification.

WanderFlora likes this.
  19. dmdoub

dmdoub Initiate (152) Nov 5, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Surprised there hasn't been any chatter about this release. How did it go? How are the beers? Any leftover for tomorrow?

20. BrewsNRecords

BrewsNRecords Initiate (111) May 13, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Heading there now, I'll update you.

21. BrewsNRecords

BrewsNRecords Initiate (111) May 13, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Got here 7:15, sold out of jitterbug about an hour ago. They still have bottles of landtrust and brine.

22. dmdoub

dmdoub Initiate (152) Nov 5, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the update. I'm more of a fan of their saisons over their fruited sours, so it sounds like a Sunday trip from Charlotte would be worth it.

23. treznor

Beer Trader

They also had magnums of Carolina Custard that sold out in the first hour (though after everyone went through line). Very well run release!

24. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (296) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I'll say this, the numbered bracelet thing beats the numbered bracelet thing where the numbers did not mean anything. <cough, cough>. Lesson learned.

treznor likes this.
  25. CavemanRamblin

Beer Trader

How was Jitterbug, more of a saison like batch 1 or more of a sour/wild this time?

26. BigBlkAf

BigBlkAf Initiate (124) Nov 5, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Way more sour and fruited. Completely different beer from last year.

treznor and CavemanRamblin like this.
  27. CavemanRamblin

Beer Trader

Was able to stop in today and get a pour, thought it was fantastic. One of the more sour FF offerings I can remember and pretty complex as well with a nice color. Definitely way different than b1 as you mentioned.

Also liked the oyster saison a lot as well as the one with the Fantome yeast. Wasn't a fan of Land Trust though, a little too smoky for me.