1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Forbidden Root (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by beerbelly_mike, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrajDoesBeer

KrajDoesBeer Devotee (445) Aug 2, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

and that is it for Tekus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we will get some kind of stemmed glass going for ya!

IlCraftWjgman likes this.
  2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,654) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hey man what are the chances we see a glass along the lines of this one from Modern Times?? I love that style for IPAs.

3. KrajDoesBeer

Trader

MT has like 10 plus glasses.. which one?

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,654) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

TigerDriver91 likes this.
  5. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (132) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

Just got home from a Forbidden Root late lunch trip. Power Trip still on and tasting even more awesome now which I wouldn't believe was possible?!? Insane beer and had to leave with another growler. The Brambly Bear berliner is also awesome and extremely refreshing on a day with weather like today. 4 pack cans of Radio Swan were still available too (4pm Saturday).

KrajDoesBeer, eppCOS and FBarber like this.
  6. NikNikNik

NikNikNik Initiate (28) Sep 12, 2017 Illinois

Tap version still has the oak on it and we agree that it has continued to evolve. What I can't confidently say is whether this is the wood character coming to the forefront because of additional extraction or hop character diminishing. Was considering saving a keg from the last batch to serve alongside the new batch and calling it "Oude Night Moth". It's no Double Orange Mango Vanilla Smore Night Moth but I'm sure someone will find it a fun variant.

#886 NikNikNik, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  7. NikNikNik

NikNikNik Initiate (28) Sep 12, 2017 Illinois

Did my profile pic give it away?

Quilentro, NNN and GuyFawkes like this.
  8. wally_world

wally_world Aspirant (252) Nov 27, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Had a late dinner here last night. Power Trip, Toro!, and Night Moth were all excellent.

It only took about half a glass of Power Trip for my wife to say, "This is like better Bissell s***!"

The winner, IMO, was Toro! The way they hid the ABV in a juice bomb like this was fantastic. I'd put that up with a lot of IPAs.

Oh, and the food was stellar. The burrata and tomato salad were standouts.

@KrajDoesBeer thanks for keeping us BAs in the loop!

9. NNN

NNN Initiate (101) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Would have if I had noticed! Jason Molina was a genius. Nice tribute.

Quilentro, NikNikNik and GuyFawkes like this.
  10. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (980) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

I had one of my two crowlers of Power Trip over the weekend, and it was all that I hoped. Friggin' phenomenal. Easily my favorite FR beer, and probably one of my two or 3 favorite Chicago NE beers.

Is it still on tap? I'm considering swinging by again today or tomorrow for one more fill up...

TigerDriver91 and GuyFawkes like this.
  11. KrajDoesBeer

Trader

Yep come on by!

Beardown98 likes this.
  12. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (148) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Toro can hang with anything made in Vermont, Massachusetts, etc. Im glad I live 2 blocks away. My days of trading for TH, Trillium, etc are long gone.

Next yall need to make something made with Nelson.

13. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Savant (982) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I went Saturday for a bit of a late lunch and have to agree. I had Toro for lunch and got a 32-oz of Power Trip to go. Glad I went that route - Power Trip was my favorite of the two and I was glad to have 32 ounces to drown my sorrows while watching the Bengals prove their inferiority yesterday.

Thanks for chatting @KrajDoesBeer, looks like your Vols escaped with a close call Saturday...

jaysker95, KrajDoesBeer and SeanBond like this.
  14. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (568) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

You're two games out, they lost no ground yesterday with the AFC North going 0-4.....

15. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Initiate (188) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

Yeah, I have to agree. I am very much enjoying everything FR is putting out right now. I love that I live so close. I typically try to come for a beer or two each weekend, which is saying a lot because I don't really drink as much alcohol anymore.

16. KrajDoesBeer

Trader

FIRE BUTCH JONES lol....

great to chat man for sure.... glad you guys are digging both!

Tues Oct 17th will be the next FR/BA Share!!!!!

Same set up as last time- PM me on BA and let me know if you want to attend. 18 ppl last time was perfect. Shooting for 20 ppl this time! 730pm will be the start time. Whoever did the excel file- first thank you and second can we get that going again?

thanks!

Kraj

17. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (231) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

KrajDoesBeer likes this.
  18. kbergen28

kbergen28 Initiate (60) Jan 19, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Ha, way ahead of you there :wink:

IlCraftWjgman and Quilentro like this.
  19. jb3304

jb3304 Aspirant (240) Mar 29, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know if Power Trip is currently available? Growler fills?

20. KrajDoesBeer

Trader

Yes it is.... Radio is still good for 4 packs too

jb3304 likes this.
  21. croush

croush Crusader (701) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I stopped in for a quick lunch yesterday to try Power Trip, Night Moth and TORO! - I thought TORO was by far the best of them all. I got a bit of a syrupy feeling on it that distracted from the flavor a bit, but still tasty. I was actually not really a fan of Power Trip, which seems counter to just about everyone else...too much of an overpowering weed aroma and taste for my liking.

GuyFawkes and JFresh21 like this.
  22. SeanBond

I still haven't had Toro (went in for another howler of PT last night), but I think a few people have agreed with you.

I personally can't get enough hops in my beer, so I love PT. So much so that my first howler had a fruit fly in it, and that didn't distract from the enjoyment at all! :grin:

23. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (2,208) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Totally with you on Power Trip...felt like I was biting into a ganja nugget.

croush likes this.
  24. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (247) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I went in yesterday and tried PT as well. I thought it was good, nothing great. I didn't really get a 'weed' note, just a slight hop bite. And because of that, its one of the better FR hoppy offerings imo. But I agree, Toro is my favorite of that group as well. I agree with the slight syrupy note (which I expect from a triple IPA), but I think overall its very balanced.

croush likes this.
  25. HouseofWortship

Trader

Wow, I guess if the flies are confusing a juice bomb for real fruit the NEIPA has to be spot on.:grin:

IlCraftWjgman likes this.
  26. jed_productions

jed_productions Devotee (410) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Society Trader

Who doesn't enjoy biting into a ganja nugget?

27. HouseofWortship

Trader

I wouldn't want to find a chunky ganja nugget in my glass while drinking my beer- which brings me to the next great idea-> NEIPA sangria. Some diced fruit put in with some NEIPA instead of wine? FR, you got to try this.

jed_productions likes this.
  28. croush

croush Crusader (701) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Because they're more preferred to be consumed in a different method??? :sunglasses:

29. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Savant (982) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I didn't get that from power trip - but if you want to bite into some ganja, try the PW Escape From IPA that just came out. It's dank to another level.

GuyFawkes and jed_productions like this.
  30. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (154) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

And far more refined ways to ingest as well...

jed_productions and GuyFawkes like this.
  31. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (452) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

Any chance Power Trip lasting until Friday night?

32. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (112) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'd assume so. Sounds like they have a good amount left. I think they will let us know once it's getting close to being gone.

33. KrajDoesBeer

Trader

Exactly this

NikNikNik and aussiebeer like this.
  34. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (452) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

Thanks mates

35. joeneugs

joeneugs Initiate (107) Aug 28, 2008 California

I'm flying in from California tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to visit this place! I'll probably show up either tomorrow night or Monday.

I'm looking forward to doing some serious damage to the Chicago beer scene.

36. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (231) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I think Nietzsche once said: "when you do damage to the Chicago beer scene, the Chicago beer scene does damage to you." Good luck, and hydrate. It's a great weekend to be in Chicago, and FR should be high on your list!

37. JJH1018

JJH1018 Devotee (400) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Make sure you hit Corridor too. I believe Cosmic Juice Box is still flowing.

kdawgmoney and Nachos4two like this.
  38. joeneugs

joeneugs Initiate (107) Aug 28, 2008 California

Corridor is planned for Sunday brunch.

eppCOS, IlCraftWjgman and Nachos4two like this.
  39. JJH1018

JJH1018 Devotee (400) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Cheers! Enjoy! Both are excellent.

40. SeanBond

Yeah, FR and Corridor are (with all due respect, because I love them both) kind of two sides of the same awesome coin, at least NE-wise; FR's IPAs tend to be a little sweeter and smoother, and Corridor's have a slightly grainier texture, and are slightly more on the bitter (or at least less sweet) side.

In an ideal world I'd have an apartment within walking distance of both. :money_mouth:

eppCOS, jaysker95 and GuyFawkes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.