Fort George 3-way (2019)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by honkduh, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

I’m not a fan of this years 3-way.

: (

2. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Bummer. Have you tried both the Citra and Idaho 7 versions? I found the Citra version just OK but liked the Idaho 7 much more.

3. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Sorry. That happens. 3-Way hasn't been infallible for a few years now.

4. crusian

crusian May 14, 2010 Oregon

I was the other way. Idaho 7 seemed... like the finish didnt match the body, and was palate confusing. And citra is.. well, citra, yum!

5. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Have only had it once so far this year, and that was on tap. So not sure what version I had.

I thought it was OK. Not great, not outstanding, not really good, just OK. Will probably order again at some point, but I'm in no hurry

#5 John_M, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I ordered it at a bar that didn't label it as a hazy and I sent it back when it appeared they had brought me a glass of orange juice made with rusty tap water.

ballardbeer, TheBungyo and VashonGuy like this.
  7. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

This year's 3-Way hasn't been super hazy and it's also easily available. I'm guessing there's a correlation there.

vurt likes this.
  8. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Looking at the Fort George website, the 3-Way looks kinda hazy. But with that said, it's possible what I ordered and sent back was Crysknife. I don't remember anymore.

ballardbeer likes this.
  9. Reidrover

Reidrover Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Crysknife is gorgeous..the 3-Way aint half bad either

NWer, 66jzmstr and vurt like this.
  10. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

It also has a bit of bitterness, which seems to affect hazy IPA fans the way water affects the Wicked Witch of the West.

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Mar 6, 2007 Washington

I've found that when I've poured the 3-Way straight from the fridge, the sentiment (and haze) really settles at the bottom. I poured the first 6-8 ozs and it didn't look hazy at all. The last bit was completely thick and opaque. I'm letting them warm up a little bit and giving them a controlled shake now before pouring.

vurt likes this.
  12. BeerandLoathing

BeerandLoathing Jan 28, 2011 Oregon

I dunno man, I like this years 3-Way. Last years 3-Way was the dud for me.

Reidrover and vurt like this.
  13. derftron

derftron Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Back on the wagon after yesterday’s wretched excess.
    This is the citra version. Not bad, but not great either. Still, 70° sunny with a beer on my back patio....I’ll take it

vurt and jakecattleco like this.
  14. crusian

Looks like cashmere hops is next?

15. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

That's what our waiter at Fort George mentioned last week.

16. sharpski

Society Trader

Seems kind of early to roll out the third and final variant. Will 3-Way have a shorter run this year, or will they cycle back through? Speculate starting... now!

17. crusian

Are they only doing 3? Was hoping for Amarillo, simcoe, etc. Like 8. Lol

kemoarps, jakecattleco and vurt like this.
  18. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Finishing up my first can, the 6/4/19 of Citra. Nice enough, but jumping out as a stand out.

19. sharpski

Society Trader

Originally announced as 3, but there’s a final Strata variant in distribution now.

20. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Huh. I still haven't stumbled across any of the Cashmere version yet.

21. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Yeah, still a lot of Idaho 7 on shelves. 3-Way doesn't seem to have the hype it used to.

22. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington

When I was in PDX a few weeks ago Citra and Idaho-7 were everywhere - even Fred Meyer. All the variants seem to be moving in Seattle though.

23. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Nov 10, 2013 Washington

i thought the cashmere one was nice. tasted v cloudburst

24. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

I thought this year’s 3 Way was solid. I’ve tried all 3 hop variants and found each version was slightly worse than the last. Still very drinkable though. Glad they went away from full on hazy. This seemed much closer to a west coast ipa than a NE ipa.

Found a can of Citra hiding in my fridge last night. Still tasted great. Idaho 7 seemed to be everywhere for a while and now have been seeing cashmere the last week or two. Can’t say I’m too familiar with cashmere. Doesn’t seem to have any distinct character. Might grab a few more cans though while they last. One more variant would be nice.

guajolote and vurt like this.
  25. dphi

dphi Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

You'll have to keep an eye out for the Strata version then, seen it on tap at a few places around town.

G_Z_a, vurt and NWer like this.
  26. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

With the early arrival of fresh hop season, I'm thinking 3-Way is at a bit of a disadvantage.

I just spotted some Cashmere 3-Way at Winco last week, and the price was agreeable, but I was already thinking about the Occidental Fresh Hop Pilsner in my fridge.

NWer likes this.
  27. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I agree. I am making room in beer fridge (with limited success) for the anticipated fresh hop beers and have passed on many I would have otherwise purchased including 3-Way Strata.

28. weaverr

weaverr Jun 10, 2008 California

Wait a minute. I've been avoiding 3-way because I didn't like last year's haze-bomb. Now I finally open this thread and see it's NOT hazy?! Looks like I need to give it a shot.

kemoarps likes this.
  29. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

It IS hazy, but to me it's more of a NW hazy, with a little bit of malt in there and just enough bitter on the back end to provide balance. Better for my palate - I didn't like last year's but enjoyed this year's.

kemoarps and weaverr like this.
  30. dphi

dphi Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

There's a little bit of haze but it seemed to settle in some of the cans I bought as looked like a straight WC IPA when I poured them.

weaverr likes this.
  31. Jinxed

Jinxed Mar 6, 2007 Washington

Agree that it really settles. If I don't give the can a good shake, the beginning of my pour looks straight WC, and the last quarter pour from the can is a murky mess.

weaverr likes this.
  32. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Definitely a departure from last year. The haze is pretty minimal. Drank and felt much more like a west coast to me, especially the Citra version.

weaverr likes this.
  33. IPAs-n-Stouts_OhMy

IPAs-n-Stouts_OhMy Dec 19, 2018 Washington

Missed out on the earlier releases this year, but snagged a 4-pak of Strata ... quite nice compared to other mildly hazy IPAs I've tried of late. Enough bitterness and malt to keep me interested, and not so juicy sweet that I need to sit in an a/c room to finish a pint

G_Z_a and vurt like this.
  34. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Kind of interesting the Idaho 7 version had such a long run while Citra and Cashmere seemed to come and go so quick. Must have procured a bigger batch of those hops. I’m guessing they’re winding down if not done completely with this year’s now.

Moving forward, I’m wondering how long they’ll continue to keep this going. Obviously, there’s no shortage of breweries to team up with, but they’ve already hit most of the best ones in the region. Maybe they’d venture into northern CA. Of course there’s nothing that says they can’t partner with a previous collaborator again.

35. jason_nwx

Society

Given Fort George's seemingly rock solid commitment to being northwest only at this point (you never say never and that could always change), I'd be surprised to see them pick a NorCal brewery. Then again, IF they were to starting venturing outside the NW that wouldn't be a bad way to start.

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  36. salemcheech

salemcheech Apr 24, 2013 Oregon

None of the cans I had were hazy at all. I had three of the variants and all were crystal clear west coast IPAs. It's very strange how different some of the reports are with regards to how this one looks in the glass. There is some serious batch variation going on.

FWIW with some time now to reflect I'd rank this at or near the bottom of the the 3-Way collabs over the years, which is a bummer because I adore all three breweries and really appreciate that they seemingly wanted to do something different. For my palette it just didn't work.

37. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

They already have ventured out of the PNW. I guess you forgot about 3-Way 2016. That was Melvin from Wyoming and Barley Brown's.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  38. dphi

dphi Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

de Garde has done a few IPA collabs, that'd be a fun partner. Make it a coastal version and bring Reach Break or Buoy in too.

39. sharpski

Society Trader

Good point, but I think he meant distribution of their beer being proudly advertised as only in the NW. I don’t think Melvin had opened the Bellingham pub yet, but that may have played a part in their selection in the slot normally reserved for a WA brewery.

#39 sharpski, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    jason_nwx likes this.
  40. jason_nwx

Society

Yeah, what @sharpski said - but I had forgotten about that one. I think maybe Melvin worked itself in via the fact they had the Washington pub presence (before the harassment)?

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.