Release Founder Brewing Co. to release DKML

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Gregf51, Jun 9, 2017.

1. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Initiate (112) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania

Central PA -- although two local distributors just did finally get Doom this week.

There were still plenty of 4-packs of KBS at the Weis Markets in Muncy PA a few weeks ago. I don't know if it's still there.

2. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Aspirant (238) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

KBS is plentiful in Erie

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,074) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Some folks have called KBS a shelf turd because it lasted more than a day in some markets. Not a shelf turd if it sold out most places within a few days, which it did. Might still be on some shelves, but increased production has gotten Founders closer to meeting demand, and there are bound to be some places where it may last weeks. They'll adjust accordingly next year. CBS is a different animal because it uses more rare maple syrup barrels. To bad they wasted some of those maple barrels on Frootwood.

4. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Savant (922) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Okay, I finally had Doom a few nights ago. I enjoyed it quite a lot. I thought it was very bourbon barrel-forward, yet not boozy or harsh. The malt presence was big but the oak tannins and hop bitterness on the finish dried it out. I thought it was dangerously drinkable for its abv. It smells and tastes immense but is not hard to drink. I thought it was great, but I will agree that it didn't seem very IPA-like. Some piney bitterness on the finish. It reminded me more of something like BBA Arrogant Bastard than 120 Minute IPA.

beerhan, CaptainHate and SeanEDPBK like this.
  5. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

I suspect that barrel aging presents a dilemma to brewers; they will want to barrel age it long enough to taste, yet wouldn't the "time in the barrel" be counting against the IPAs "hop freshness clock"? Maybe they need to hop the hell out of it to allow more time in the barrel?

HorseheadsHopHead and VABA like this.
  6. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (353) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What does DKML stand for?

7. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (356) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

** Malt Liquor... perhaps Donkey Kick Malt Liquor

8. Prager62

Prager62 Meyvn (1,392) May 7, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Dick Kicker Malt Liquor:p

9. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,363) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah. I thought I saw somewhere that Founders might dry-hop DKML after aging in the barrel. Imo they should have done that with Doom.

HorseheadsHopHead and VABA like this.
  10. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

DLMK

11. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

So when is DKML supposed to be released - more specifically than "this summer"? Some early speculation said July. Are the barrel series coming out every-other month? CBS is reportedly coming out in December, so working backwards, that would bring BWB in October, then DKML in August. Or working forward, Doom was released in late May, so then DKML would arrive in July. Anyone hearing anything through distributors?

12. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (175) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It hits the taproom July 1st, with distro starting right after.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.