Release Founders Barrel Runner

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by TangoJuliet, Mar 21, 2018.

1. TangoJuliet

TangoJuliet Aspirant (283) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

We are happy to announce the next release for our 2018 Barrel-Aged Series:

[​IMG]
    750mL

Barrel Runner

Inspiration for our barrel-aged beers can come from the most unexpected places and our latest release is proof of that. Sweet and hoppy, rich and bright – this rum barrel-aged imperial IPA brewed with Mosaic hops will make you believe you’re in the tropics.

[​IMG]
    12oz
    Barrel Runner will be available in 4-packs of 12oz bottles and 750mL bottles beginning in June through August. It will have an SRP of $14.99/4-pack and $11.99/750mL bottle.

Barrel Runner is preceded by KBS, Backwoods Bastard (which is now year-round) and our also not-yet-publicly announced third release, Dankwood. We have two releases in the series yet to announce.

This information was shared with you, our Cadre members, first. Look for more details about the beer on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram closer to the release.

2. waltari

waltari Initiate (55) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Pass. I was hopping for BA FIS.

3. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (624) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Here comes all the hate.....another BA IPA from Founders.
    I'm personally really excited about this. Although it is interesting that back to back releases are BA IPA'S

Cheers!

steebo777 likes this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (834) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Agreed. Barrel-aged IPAs just don't do it for me, either.

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,060) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Rum BA Imperial would be great.

6. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (164) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

I've tried about 5 RBA IPAs and all of them have been complete trash. Sad to see another company wasting rum barrels.

7. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Champion (894) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

I'll certainly give it a shot if I see it. I like the rum barrel.

8. bbtkd

Premium

Yeah, that occurred to me too, a waste of Rum barrels that could have been used to make a good beer. Like when they waste maple barrels to make beers like Doom or Frootwood rather than CBS.

9. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (539) Mar 28, 2009 California

What?!! I want another BBA stout, because the thousands available just aren’t enough.

Isn’t the whole point of the backstage series experimentation? Why not try something new. You might like it, and of course it might be complete junk.

10. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (146) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Sounds delicious. I’m in.

MonkeyBread, MrKennedy88 and raynmoon like this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (834) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

They haven't done something like a doppelbock. That would be a better option than a DIPA. Or just bring back Better Half. That would suit me just fine.

12. waltari

waltari Initiate (55) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I would have been fine had they not retired their regular FIS.

GlennFreeman, jmdrpi, Lahey and 2 others like this.
  13. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,462) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

I love Doom and I love rum barrel beers. I'm in!

14. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (63) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

While a BA FIS would be my vote, I think this still sounds pretty interesting with the rum barrels.

I like the experimentation aspect but they also seem to be stuck on BA DIPAs.

15. GetMeAnIPA

I am in for that. Barrel aged dobblebock sounds great.

16. GetMeAnIPA

100% agree! I was mostly poking fun at all the people who hate on these releases and always want the same barrel aged beers.

17. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (224) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Agree I've been wanting the troegs BA Troegenator for a while. Haven't chased it down yet

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  18. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (164) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Except that this is RUM barrels, and there are definitely not "thousands" available.

Pisthetaerus and bbtkd like this.
  19. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (763) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

This has potential. I dig Doom well-enough, and rum barrels can be awesome (or ridiculously overpowering--see Central Waters Rum Barrel Coconut Porter, which was an alcoholic mess). Mosaic is not the most tropical hop they could have chosen, in my opinion, but it probably wouldn't matter with the rum barrel anyway.

I just hope it is more balanced than DKML.

20. bbtkd

Premium

Exactly - that's the point I was trying to make. A Rum BA Stout would be great.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  21. GetMeAnIPA

Yes, I know. You missed my point but all good. Cheers!

22. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (655) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Why even make a 750ml?

Enjoy

23. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (205) Feb 28, 2017 Virginia

What a waste of Rum barrels. Just about any other high ABV style would be better.

24. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (273) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Was not a fan of Doom, so I'll pass.

25. GetMeAnIPA

My comment had nothing to do with your post. I actually didn't see your post. I was making a blanket statement.

bbtkd likes this.
  26. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (778) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

doppelbock, weizenbock, dubbel/ quad, strong red, strong brown, schwarzbier would all be great

bubseymour, TonyLema1, Lahey and 3 others like this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (827) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I see what you did there.

Stout_Sabre and waltari like this.
  28. spark3148857

spark3148857 Crusader (703) Dec 4, 2010 California

I’m very intrigued and looking forward to giving this one a try. And I’m patient enough to wait for December for when you all know they will probably release a stout for the final release of the year.

GlennFreeman likes this.
  29. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,431) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Glad some people are excited for this ... For me its just more disappointment from a more and more underwhelming array of barrel aged beers from Founders. Another barrel aged IPA? Hard pass from me.

30. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (125) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Yeah, as much as I love Founders, I hope there is a reason for doing this that makes sense that I'm just ignorant about. Why in the living hell would I pay $12 for basically 2 beers when I can get four in a far superior format for an extra $3?

Anyways, thought I'd join in since bitching is the MO for a Founders Barrel Aged Series Release thread...but I am interested to try it and have found several of these experimental beers to be much better than what they're given credit for. I don't get why people seem to get mad when they put out something they don't think they'll like.

Txex06 likes this.
  31. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (407) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

This sounds delicious.

32. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (99) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

They retired Double Trouble, then Doom (aka BA Double Trouble) came out. Now Double Trouble is back. It's reasonable to think BA FIS is on its way later this year with a return appearance by FIS in 2019.

GlennFreeman, DrippingI and GuyFawkes like this.
  33. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,917) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I'm looking forward to the return of Double Trouble. I'd like to compare it to some of our local DIPA's. And I'd like to see regular FIS again - it's one of my favorite stouts. While a BA version could be spectacular, I'd take the original.

alucard6679 likes this.
  34. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,398) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I will try this...and I don't care for rum.

Honestly, I dont care for many of thrir BA offerings but I do think they are offering a lot of original and varied BA recipes. I respect their program, even though I don't always love the final product. I do go out of my way to try each release at least once. Crazily enough, the one release i passed on was the one every one here was probably most gung-ho about...cbs.

Lahey likes this.
  35. KBS

KBS Aspirant (288) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Seems like we may be heading in the direction of 1 universally sought after new Founders beer each year, a few so-so “I will try it” beers and a few classics. That is assuming one of the new future 2018 releases is sought after.

raynmoon and FBarber like this.
  36. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (322) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sounds interesting and the price is right. count me in

37. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,300) Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Premium

Hey look, another Founders release topic with everyone telling them what they should and should not brew. You'd think their motto was "Brewed For Us" or something the way they keep just doing whatever they want!

38. Ray9230

Ray9230 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2017 New York

Don't knock it till you try it.. Don't commit to a four pack or bomber just buy a couple 11.2 oz singles.. I have to taste a beer more than once before I pass judgement. That being said I had Breaksides rum barrel golden ale last week and it was fantastic

39. nachos

nachos Initiate (106) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan

40. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (146) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Glad they're doing another BA IPA. I need another BA RIS in my fridge like I need another hole in my head.

Harrison8 likes this.