Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders beer releases

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by WIexile, Aug 14, 2017.

1. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (120) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Didn't see a thread for Founders releases, so.....

Wondering if anyone has seen 15 packs yet of Mosaic Promise? If the price is the same as Azacca, this will be more than a regular purchase for me, especially if the quality remains the same as last year. Seen a pic of the cans already filled so assume it cant be far off.

Zaphog likes this.
  2. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (158) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Just picked up Green Zebra today.

3. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,888) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I've just been to over a dozen shops in PA and didn't see any Mosaic Promise. It's an August release, no? Hmmm. That would mean that it really should have gone out at the end of July. Oh well... soon enough. Still seeing some PC Pils around.

4. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (191) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Off topic, but awesome avatar. May I borrow for another site? Not here. lol

Number1Framer likes this.
  5. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (120) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Feel free sir.

Yep, although it was originally slated for Sept then brought into Aug, so that's why were not see cans everywhere yet. Although I did see a pic of a can on Untappd, so they are officially out now, and I believe it was out by you on the east coast.

6. user8991037426712693

user8991037426712693 Initiate (134) May 19, 2017 Minnesota

flat_lander and Muss42 like this.
  7. Muss42

Muss42 Aspirant (284) Mar 7, 2015 Michigan

user8991037426712693 likes this.
  8. moshea

moshea Devotee (425) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Still sitting on my last bottle of bolt cutter. Cracked one a few years back and it was barley nyquil

9. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Meyvn (1,465) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I will just sit quietly and wait for CBS and Better Half news.

Angerhaus and archiebunkerjr like this.
  10. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (272) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Gonna crush some Green Zebras tonight bro*!

*I bought a six pack of Green Zebra I will have 1-2 and report back.

Nbrock24 and GuyFawkes like this.
  11. Jplachy

Beer Trader

I'm on my second can and I really wanted to like this but it gets this astringent baby vomit sort of thing going on. Not a fan.

FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (240) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm really liking Green Zebra. Had it a month ago at the taproom when it was just called Watermelon Gose so I was happy to have a canned version

13. Jplachy

Beer Trader

Cool, glad to hear its probably just me.

14. flat_lander

flat_lander Aspirant (220) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Well, this makes me happy. Was lucky to try the '15 Sweet Repute a few nights back courtesy of @semibaked . It was drinking fantastic. One of the highlights of a night of some real solid beers. Holding onto a bottle of '12 Bolt Cutter courtesy of my beer hero @gratefulbeerhead . Might have to wait for a little side by side now...

user8991037426712693 and FBarber like this.
  15. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (566) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

2013 actually :slight_smile:

flat_lander likes this.
  16. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (207) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I think this pretty much confirms that CBS isn't happening, actually. Wouldn't we have seen the label by now? Looks to me like these will be for release #6 and possibly next year.

17. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (140) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Don't know how you draw that conclusion about CBS.
    I didn't read that closely, but assume these are for next year

18. Jplachy

Beer Trader

They are for this year.

FBarber likes this.
  19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,952) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This is the first release from this series (other than Bolt Cutter) that I am genuinely excited for and not just thinking "I'll grab a single 12oz. to give it a try.

20. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (245) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This sucks. It's not that I'm not excited for these, but every sign pointed to the final Barrel Aged Series beer this year to be CBS. Now that they filed all three of those labels as Barrel Aged Series and December is right around the corner, it pretty much eliminates the chance of CBS being it. The fact that Sweet Repute and Project Pam both use maple syrup bourbon barrels is also discouraging.

djtothemoney likes this.
  21. user8991037426712693

user8991037426712693 Initiate (134) May 19, 2017 Minnesota

I also was thinking that CBS was going to be the December release. My initial thought was that these 3 were for next year but someone else pointed out earlier in the thread that they are for this year. Couple that with no label being filed for CBS.....magic 8 ball says "outlook not good".

cmukid87 and djtothemoney like this.
  22. cmukid87

Beer Trader

Yet in a few special dinners held at Founders and hearing Mike and/or Dave talk, they do say that it would be "irresponsible" of them to not make CBS again. Quit jerking us around and make it already.

user8991037426712693 likes this.
  23. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,459) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'm confused. Founders site clearly shows the Barrel Aged series has six releases this year.

https://foundersbrewing.com/barrel-aged-series/

How could all three of these be "for this year"? And there's still plenty of time for a CBS label to get approved. I wouldn't believe anything but an official announcement from Founders.

24. ClarkstonMark

Beer Trader

Ok, I just read the link again, and I still don't see anything about the beers being released this year.
    I still believe #6 is CBS

flat_lander likes this.
  25. flat_lander

Beer Trader

^This. Where are people exactly getting that this is for this year? The tenemu link doesn't indicate that. I don't want to spend my lunch hunting down labels.

stevegoz likes this.
  26. cmukid87

Beer Trader

It'd have to be a heck of a bait-and-switch by Founders then. These are my guesses....1. One of these is the final release to the Barrel Aged Series this year and the others will carry into 2018. 2. All three of these will be released in December as the final bottles of the Barrel Aged Series 2017. 3. CBS is planned to be released in December but one of these three is a backup plan in case CBS doesn't turn out to what they hope.

27. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,459) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Breweries get labels approved for releases in the distant future all the time and some beers never even see the light of day. It's not a cost-prohibitive process, especially for a brewery like Founders. And, if you're a brewery that wants message boards to go nuts speculating and build hype, you could theoretically use the process as a marketing tool or a way to throw people off.

Tenemu is NOT an authority. Whoever runs that site just trolls the label approval sites then releases "news' assuming (correctly in many cases) that approved label = future release. Founders has made ZERO official statements on any of this so "bait and switch" just isn't the case here.

Who knows...maybe the CBS label was submitted with these but there was a slight issue and it needed an update? Not sure if that's the case at all, but, I don't think anyone knows what's going on unless you work for Founders (and even then, probably not unless you're in production/marketing/ownership).

flat_lander likes this.
  28. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (206) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I don't know how long labels are sent and approved before founders Cadre news goes out, but I can say that Cade news goes out like a month before "public" news does, and nothing has come through Cadre mentioning anything.

DKML was released through Cadre in mid to late April for July 1 release. This suggests a 2ish month lead time?

Even though backwoods is known, it still hasn't been announced through Cadre either. So, it seems unlikely that CBS should be announced officially in any capacity right now.

29. flat_lander

Beer Trader

Sure was!

30. hoppymeal

hoppymeal Champion (871) Jun 25, 2005 Michigan

31. cmukid87

Beer Trader

32. philsunset

philsunset Initiate (199) Oct 3, 2013 Michigan

33. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (207) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I retract my previous statements now. Getting in line now.

tepie and cmukid87 like this.
  34. shamrock8387

shamrock8387 Aspirant (229) Mar 14, 2015 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

35. macewank

macewank Initiate (198) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Less than thrilled about 750ml bottles, but.. sweet!

36. cmukid87

Beer Trader

I'll see you there.
    All Barrel Aged Series releases have been in 750ml AND 12oz bottles.

37. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (158) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

When CBS is released later this year, it is going to be one of the craziest releases ever. Hoarders will be out in full force. Just an FYI, the maple fades a lot after a year.

38. ClarkstonMark

Beer Trader

39. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Meyvn (1,465) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Which is why I have to tell those hoarders, the reason they are waiting to announce the release. The beer is infected and it is not some stray bacteria. It is liquid anthrax.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  40. goblue30

goblue30 Aspirant (203) May 18, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I may be in the minority here, but having had KBS and CBS side by side at Founders before I prefer KBS. That being said, I will definitely have my friends in GR on the lookout for a bottle for me as I'm sure it will be next to impossible to find on the East side per usual.

Blutz likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.