Founder's Breakfast Stout?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by rmank, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmank

rmank Aspirant (265) Mar 26, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

What are your experiences with cellaring? How long should I let it go? Thanks

2. beveritt

beveritt Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2006 Ohio

This one gets asked a lot and there seems to be no consensus. I love it aged. I have some in the cellar from as far back as 2008 and really enjoy it. If you really enjoy the coffee flavor, you may not like it aged, as that will fade.

As someone else pointed out in another thread about this, the nice thing about this beer is that it is pretty available so easy to compare.

My suggestion; buy a four pack. Drink one and put the rest in the cellar. Drink #2 at 6 months, #3 at 12 months and #4 at 18 months. If you like where it was going, get another four pack and go longer.

ABN_918, Cubatobaco and rmank like this.
  3. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,750) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I've found it a fairly good beer to tuck away and enjoy over time. Others are better, but it's not too bad.

4. bramsdell

bramsdell Aspirant (278) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

I like it best fresh. Loses a lot of the coffee and chocolate flavors after a year.

PaulyB83 likes this.
  5. r0nyn

r0nyn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 New York

My cousin and I recently opened a 2008 bottle. It was very chocolatey and really creamy, which isn't too shabby for a nearly six-year old beer.

6. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

I just opened one with about 9 months on it and it didn't even touch it. Very good.

7. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (35) Jan 24, 2006 Indiana

My take is that is changes from a coffee smack in the face to a more chocolatey beer with a good coffee flavor still present after about a year give or take a few months. It stays pretty good for quite some time, but after about 2 years my experience has been it starts to really thin out at that point, though can still be enjoyable. I've had 4-5 year old bottles I thought were pretty bad, but I also just recently had one from 08 I believe that was still pretty tasty and believe it or not still had a very noticeable coffee component.

Overall if you're interested in seeing what the cellar will do to this one it's a very low risk/cost endeavor to through a few in the cellar. But if you only have a couple and are hoping to hold on to it for the optimal time of enjoyment, it doesn't really improve per se with age IMO...

8. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Crusader (736) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Last night I cracked an FBS bottled 9/12/12, purchased 3/14/13 and given a good home in a fridge since then. Like lotsaswigs, I believe it had lost some of the coffee flavor and it's one of the reasons I really like this beer. I have one more bottle left and I'm waiting to see it again, buy a fresher one and do a side-by-side.

9. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,504) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I just had 8 month old FBS (my last one) the other day and it was delicious. Less of the coffee, more of the chocolate. I really dug it, and I am a huge coffee drinker. You might as well go look for some in the cooler at your lesser traveled liquor store that carries Founders, anyway.

10. rmank

Beer Trader

Supply isn't the issue, I have at least 5 left in my stash. Thanks for the info

11. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,504) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yep, I mentioned that because you should be able to find more FBS that's already cellared if you fancy it.

12. rmank

Beer Trader

Good point!

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,114) Mar 18, 2010 California

Much better fresh.

14. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (217) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Just picked up two four packs bottled in December.

15. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Meyvn (1,472) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

This person seems to really like it aged - LINK

16. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

KBS sits in a barrel for a year and tastes great, no? So why not FBS, coffee might drop off but I bet the chocolate will still be there.

17. Roger85

Roger85 Devotee (409) Aug 24, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just had one of last years release yesterday and it is still fantastic. Like others have said- less coffee and more chocolate. I found it very good. I have a few left I plan on sitting on even longer.

18. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (456) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

If you don't mind beer that tastes like a weak-ass cup of coffee, throw this one in the cellar for a while.

19. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (176) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yep, fresh. Losing the coffee and chocolate flavors...why would anyone want that!!??!?!

20. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Missouri

Honestly, I have never had it fresh, but recently picked up a 4 pack tucked away in the corner of a BMC beer cave, the FBS was from January of this year. I thought it was absolutely awesome with 8 months on it, although I have nothing to compare it to.

21. Massbmx

Massbmx Devotee (414) Apr 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Founders says KBS isn't just barrel aged FBS but a different recipie.

I usually let FBS sit for a few months before I drink it, I've had it up to 2 years old and it was still awesome but like someone mentioned it seemed to be thinning out a bit.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  22. ABN_918

ABN_918 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Indiana

Does aging really make a difference? I've tried to, but, I can't keep my hands off it!
    If so, how long?

23. Sean227

Sean227 Initiate (145) Sep 2, 2007 New Jersey

I personally prefer it fresh, the coffee falls off a lot when aged imo.

azorie likes this.
  24. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Zealot (501) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

I think it does.

I know I'm definitely in the minority on this, but I don't really care for FBS that much, but I when I had one that had been in my cellar for about 2 1/2 years, it was a lot better than any other time I've had it. YMMV

SpunkyHopslammer likes this.
  25. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (846) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I would never age a coffee beer, but that's because I like to drink beer the way the brewer intended it with the full coffee flavor (and I like my coffee). Besides, why wait to age a beer when it tastes amazing fresh?

azorie likes this.
  26. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

Depends on who you talk to, 6 months+

27. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin

Do you like Coffee? Drink it fresh. More of a Chocolate, roasted malt king of guy? Age it. Simple as that!

twizzard, HighLowJack and ABN_918 like this.
  28. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (592) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I wonder if this is a thread about this yet?

29. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

I had a 2012 FBS about 2 weeks ago and I didn't detect much difference from my 2013s. So if you want the effect of the aging, it might need a good 2 years or so.

ABN_918 likes this.
  30. ABN_918

ABN_918 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Indiana

I love it fresh, it's one of my personal favorites, just curious of people's opinions. I'm just getting into "aging" beer, been at it with cigars for years. I'll probably buy a couple of singles to put away for 6 months or so to see the differences.

31. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,015) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

My favorite thing about it was that great coffee taste - fresh for me

32. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

Yeah, as mentioned in here, coffee stouts lose more than they gain when aged, in my personal opinion.

If you want a good aging beer that's not super hard to get, grab a Bell's Expedition 6 pack and lose it for 2-3 years. What you will find when you open one is nothing short of world class, and amazing with a cigar.

Skull40 and ABN_918 like this.
  33. Daemose

Daemose Devotee (426) Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had an old bottle the other day that tasted amazing, but it also had a blob of crap at the bottom. YMMV.

34. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I had 2 beers UPS shipped to me years ago. I drank them both fairly quick. I had it on tap last Friday it was good fresh.
    When we get enough of it here the store has it on the shelf I will age 1 or 2 for a 6 month run and tell yea then.
    it supposed to be here now but my TW claimed ignorance, but I was not really insisting they check the back. I was happy with the porter. Which after trying everything they sent down here on draft, I liked it the best. (founders in Florida day last Friday)

35. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,358) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Going to make a poor mans CBS, by adding a spoon full of maple syrup to my glass. It's best fresh, but still delightful with a year on it.

36. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (592) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

:wink:

37. Barrel_age_me

Barrel_age_me Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Ohio

I don't understand the aging of Breakfast Stout at all. I think its garbage once it gets past 8 months. There is a reason why there is an exp date for that beer. It's not meant to be aged at all. When we reach the best by date we pull it off the shelves at bottle shops so customers can't have it in its inferior state.

ABN_918 likes this.
  38. mrcraft

mrcraft Meyvn (1,318) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I agree, this one I like to drink fresh when I get my hands on it.

39. CValle1975

CValle1975 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2011 Virginia

drink it fresh and enjoy! one of my favorite beers ever. so good. picked up another 4 pack today.

40. BigAl723

BigAl723 Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

Currently sipping one on tap in Ann Arbor. In my experience I would give fresh the edge by just a little bit. I love it aged but I also like my beers with a little kick. I feel some of the kick was lost after a year in the cellar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.