Founder's Breakfast Stout?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by rmank, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl723

BigAl723 Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

My biggest fear when it comes to beer.

2. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Devotee (452) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've been drinking 1 year old FBS, and had a fresh on tap last night. it tasted like a completely different beer. as others have said, fresh FBS was a fresh coffee bomb, aged is much more chocolately and sweet. both are great.

fredmugs likes this.
  3. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (342) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Everyone's tastes are different. You may think it's garbage, but that's your opinion. Clearly others don't agree with you.

4. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (395) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I just picked up a case. I will drink it in less than a year and I am sure I will still love it.

5. Barrel_age_me

Barrel_age_me Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Ohio

Yea, I guess my tastes are the same as Founders brewers. What ev! Just because its a stout doesn't mean age it. If someone aged a Bells Two hearted, it wouldn't be right. I see it on the same line. What makes that beer special is the coffee and chocolate. When you age it, all of that disappears. So you are drinking something that's not what it's meant to be.

6. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Defender (642) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I agree with everyone that says it's better aged. Found a couple '12 on the shelves last month and drank one side by side with a '13. While both were frahking delicious, the '12 was smoother, creamier and in my opinion a little more delicious. But of course both are better than the majority of coffee/chocolate stouts out there.

Throw a bottle in the fridge and forget about it for a year :)

7. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (342) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I disagree. The coffee does fade, depending on the bottle, but the chocolate doesn't seem to as much. It's still a great beer with time on it, not what it was, but neither is anything with any time on it. And why wouldn't it be right to age a Two Hearted? Is there a law you know about that we don't? 'Right' is again your opinion.

8. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (176) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I first had mine with a year on it. Loved it. Fresh...loved it more. That's not to say I'm not going to age 8 bottles...

9. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (176) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

How bout this question -- should it really be kept refrigerated? Saw this on the case and said...damn, did I buy to much?? Should I keep all them in the fridge if I plan on aging just a year? My first experience at it was kept in the closet and was delish. No, I didn't answer my own question! ;)

10. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

Maybe your bottles are different than mine. But mine don't show an exp date. They show a bottled date.

Where are you getting an "exp date" for Founders Breakfast Stout? o_O

tx_beer_man likes this.
  11. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,509) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I agree. I bought at least a case of FBS last year and I just had a few of them recently. Good problems!

12. bushbeer75

bushbeer75 Crusader (733) Aug 23, 2006 Michigan

I prefer it fresh over aged. I have aged FBS up to 1 1/2 years and it does seem to be a little "thinner" and lose a little of the coffee flavor....still good though.

13. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Definitely better with some age, just don't go too crazy 6 months to a year seems to be the sweet spot with this.

14. rjp217

rjp217 Meyvn (1,215) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Drank mine a couple weeks ago that was aged exactly a year, no refrigerator time except for about a day and it was amazing. Like some have said, coffee dropped a little but chocolates emerged even more. Very, very good.

BeerAssassin likes this.
  15. cubanbeerguy

cubanbeerguy Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

i strongly prefer fresh. had a vert and honestly the two most recent years were voted the best at the tasting by us all

16. Rand_ale_Thor

Rand_ale_Thor Disciple (376) Oct 6, 2012 Wisconsin

I had a 2010 recently and found the coffee to be more present, overall the beer had a thinner body, too...Loved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More