Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Founders - Canadian Breakfast Stout 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by slander420, Aug 25, 2017.

1. philsunset

philsunset Initiate (199) Oct 3, 2013 Michigan

2. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,020) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Oh, the irony. As I was ringing some folks out yesterday, they asked when FBS was supposed to come out and I told them probably sometime soon. They then were talking about how they were going to Michigan in October and that they were going to Founders and would certainly drink their fill of it then. My coworker then proceeded to say "Maybe CBS too!" And I said "Don't hold your breath" Lol. Seems like every time one of those rare, sought after beers gets resurrected, I make some comment about how it's impossible to find or not coming back right beforehand.

3. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (247) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I will be picking up as much as I can get my hands on....at least up to the brink of divorce.

4. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Aspirant (206) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

December will be a shit show.

5. slander420

slander420 Initiate (153) Jul 12, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

You should talk more about how King Henry is never coming back.

Redrover, Brehnert, JohnnyMc and 22 others like this.
  6. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (321) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Good to know we're not all crazy...

Really curious how easy it is going to be to get... most of their other beers this year in the series hit hard, and stuck around for a bit. KBS being the hardest to find, yet still every meijer got it. some having cases on the shelf, and then recently stores getting more in stock.

Also, i'll be there with my brass knuckles.

#7 Jmorey, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  7. tzieser

tzieser Champion (852) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Nice. I remember casually scoring a bottle in 2010 (or was it 211?) at a liquor store. It was just chillin' on the shelf with the rest of the bombers. I have a feeling it isn't going to be that way this time around

I opened it about a year later. It was pure excellence. Worthy of the hype. Blows KBS out of the water, IMO (probably because I'm not a huge bourbon fan). Actually, now that I think about it, no; it was bloody awful. You guys shouldn't seek this out. You'll absolutely hate it. I'll do you all a favor: let me know where you find a bottle so I can make sure it is properly disposed of. No need to thank me, I'm looking out for you guys:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lonewolfwmv, MikeP64, BartS and 3 others like this.
  8. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (249) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

In b4 the disappointment.

9. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (142) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I am hoping for a ticketed release at brewery like KBS, so I don't have to deal with the SE MI party store mafia - I expect to see $15-20 / 12 oz bottle at some of the local party stores, if it gets distributed.

10. A_Rad

A_Rad Disciple (351) May 8, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

It's exciting in theory. However I know I will miss out cause I work a day job and truck chasers will have bought it all by the time I am able to get to stores....Maybe it will be on tap around town.

11. Donco

Donco Devotee (484) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Looks like another Road Trip to see my family in Michigan:grin:

12. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,131) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

MFSW? (MuhFuckaSayWhat?)

rronin, tobelerone and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,047) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This is one I am stocking up on, I want to age these bad boys and enjoy all year to come. Love this stuff.
    :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue:

14. JoeK89

JoeK89 Aspirant (203) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So this is less bourbon forward than the bourbon devoid KBS? ehh still gotta tick it off my list.

15. darklord2011

darklord2011 Aspirant (224) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Scored two bottles with last release. Drank one within a few months, drank the other last year. Both experiences were nothing less than remarkable. Might be the best beer I've ever had.

SMH_NWI likes this.
  16. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (158) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This is the newb's dream. I'll get bottles. Not looking forward to dealing with the mess though.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  17. craigo19

craigo19 Disciple (331) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

Between this and Dark Horse 4 Elf party, my beer budget will be beyond exhausted for the following 3 months.

Scarysun and king75 like this.
  18. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (247) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

That is the truth...I'm worried that I won't be around for either releases...I'll be vacationing for 8 days out of the country so I may be recruiting my in laws to mule!

craigo19 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  19. tzieser

tzieser Champion (852) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Yeah, it was back then at least. The bourbon barrels were previously used for aging maple syrup so that cuts down on a lot of the bourbon flavor, IMP. It's still there but the maple sweetness is much more prevalent than bourbon. I think you'll be happy with it though.

20. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (232) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

In another thread someone said a Founders rep told them that the bourbon barrels for CBS were first used for KBS then used for maple syrup then returned back to the brewery again for CBS. If that's true then yeah those barrels are spent by the time they're filled with CBS.

tzieser likes this.
  21. KBS

KBS Disciple (305) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I don't think that is correct. I've never seen anywhere that they start with KBS.

22. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,520) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Well - I can't see them changing up the recipe with the reputation it has, so if that's how they are doing it then that's what they've done before. Never had it, but I'll get my hands on some somehow - bottle, tap, or both.

23. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah me either but the dude insisted that a Founders employee confirmed that's how it's done. I'm still skeptical though because neither the syrup or the beer advertise that.

5thOhio likes this.
  24. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

They're saying that's how it's always been done hence the 3 years in between releases. The barrels spend a year with KBS then close to a year with syrup then a year with CBS. Could be true but I'm not convinced until it's more than a message board rumor.

25. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

I don't care if they make it with unicorn hair and phoenix feathers, as long as it's as good as in the past and as long as I can get my hands/lips on some.

26. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (249) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

You know what I don't get? How many maple syrup barrels do you think Founders would need for a release like this? It's not like you see bottles of barrel aged maple syrup everywhere.

Fluteswell likes this.
  27. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

Not only that they aged Project Pam and Frootwood in Maple barrels. Those were also both national releases.

28. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,236) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Believe it. It's true. Bliss maple syrup is aged in bourbon barrels. They were on a tv episode too that I can't recall off the top of my head.
    If memory serves correct, they are indeed spent KBS barrels. I know for sure that Founders uses the Bliss barrels for CBS. They even sell their syrup at the brewery and online. Also, it's phenomenal, so you should not feel bad at all about spending $30 on maple syrup for your waffles, pancakes, or omelets (trust me on this one).

https://blisgourmet.com/collections/flavored-maple-syrup

29. KBS

Beer Trader

I really don't think KBS barrels come into play for CBS. On Founders web site they have Blis maple syrup and it says the syrup is aged in bourbon barrels and then used for beers like curmudgeon, CBS and sweet repute. No mention of KBS on founders web site or Blis web site.

tzieser and Hoppedelic like this.
  30. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

Not surprised that they're holding back some of their process from competitors.

31. KBS

Beer Trader

So Blis's secret is their syrup is aged in spent KBS barrels, they purposefully leave that out on their website and just talk about the carefully selected bourbon barrels (that Founders gets if KBS first). CBS secret is the same. Yet, they openly say it on a tour?

archiebunkerjr and DonicBoom like this.
  32. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,236) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

You're right. The barrels used for Blis syrup are fresh from distilleries. Then go to Founders for CBS. I was confusing the Blis hot sauce process. At least my mind is not completely gone. :smirk:That's what they use former KBS barrels for.
    It's a viscous cycle when you drink a lot.
    https://foundersbrewing.com/store/blis-blast-hot-sauce/

33. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,721) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Definitely going to pick this up, a few four packs.

VABA likes this.
  34. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,588) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

VABA likes this.
  35. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,093) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Holy. Shit. Yes. This is a whale for me. I can't wait.

RD70 likes this.
  36. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Disciple (393) Jan 8, 2015 Texas

While I am going to buy as much as I can, I kind of wish it was one of those beers you could only get a few times each year at Founders when it's tapped randomly.

It's my top rated beer on BA. Can't wait to try the 2017 version.

37. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Aspirant (269) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

Can't wait to try it!

38. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,334) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I'd scoot my bare ass through 300 yards of broken salt shakers just to smell the breath of a neckbeard who had this on tap 3 weeks earlier.

39. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (501) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Waiting eagerly for the first post that says, "Not as good as last year. Did they change the recipe?"

BeerPugz, cgwami, KBlodorn and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.