Release Founders CBS - Final 2018 Barrel Aged Series release.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DoghouseReilly3946, Sep 21, 2018.

1. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Initiate (119) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky

#1 DoghouseReilly3946, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,673) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I'll probably end up picking up one just to have, but it's not something I'll go out of my way at all to find. I still have 4 bottles from last year, both from my purchases and gifts. In truth, that's enough to last me several years.

3. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,198) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

750 ml bottles. Think of it as getting 3 ounces free.:wink:

4. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (205) Feb 28, 2017 Virginia

Good beer, but wtf Founders??? You just released it last year. You retire Imperial Stout and everybody's hoping for a BBA version as your last barrel-aged series. And to make things worse NO 4-packs again! And can somebody tell the TENEMU people that 750 mL is 25+ oz, not 22 oz.

5. elohim

elohim Initiate (184) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Probably a pass. Would have been a easy yes in 4-pack format. Why was everything else in 4-packs and this in singles? Better Half is a similar beer and was sold in the 4-pack format recently. I'm not going to waste time complaining about this any more than I already have but I am disappointed.

6. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Initiate (119) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky

Three free ounces if I only buy one, if I buy four bottles I would get a whole extra beer out of it.

7. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,198) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

What if they release BA FIS in 2019? In theory, they could still release it, no?

8. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,192) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Not excited, but I'll pick up a bottle or two. Like others, I still have a couple of bottles from last year I'm sitting on (the beer seems to have improved a bit with some additional time in bottle).

jakecattleco and brutalfarce like this.
  9. elohim

elohim Initiate (184) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

What changes do you see after a year? What flavors mellow out and what grows? I didn't save any from last year so I've only had it fresh

brutalfarce likes this.
  10. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (205) Feb 28, 2017 Virginia

Oh yeah! That's right! Thank you for pointing it out!

brutalfarce and Jaycase like this.
  11. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,192) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

I felt as if the flavor profile filled out a bit, and the mouthfeel was fuller and softer. When I first sampled it (mostly on tap), I didn't feel as if the flavors had all come together yet (they seemed a bit "angular" to me).

When I first tried it, I was unhappy I'd bought as much of it as I did (4 bottles). After the last bottle, I felt better about my purchases. That being said, I think a couple bottles this year will do me just fine.

12. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,061) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Premium Trader

Easy pass because of the 750ml format.

Bought a bottle last year for the tick, and subsequently got another as a gift. Will never buy again unless they do 4 packs for the U.S.

13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,238) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

If they were to release it in 4 pack 12 ounce bottles for ~$30, i would purchase again, but at the bomber price point and gymnastics required to get my hands on a bottle, I will likely pass this time around.

14. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,060) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

What the hell happened to the Mountie? Did he get thrown from the horse, lying injured in a ravine? Without the Mountie is this just Breakfast Stout? Or does CBS stand for Cantering Breakfast Stout?

Even though I am really miffed at them for bomber-only distribution again, I'll still take release day off and find a few given that it's currently my favorite beer. Hopefully distribution is up a bit.

#14 bbtkd, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  15. threeviews

threeviews Zealot (555) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

Although I really liked CBS last year and will probably treat myself to at least one bottle this time around, I thought Founders would have gotten a little more creative...3 out of the 6 in 2018 Barrel Aged Series are repeats.

I agree with @DISKORD in that a BBA version of their Imperial Stout would have been choice. However, I can't complain with another drop of CBS around holiday time.

Dan411, brutalfarce and DISKORD like this.
  16. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (313) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

17. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (75) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Damn, I was really hoping they'd wise up and do four packs this year. Not nearly as excited about the bombers. I'll probably only buy one.

And I have to agree with others on this, I would have much preferred BA Imperial Stout. Let's hope it's it in the work's for next year... (Hint* Hint* Founders)

Also another hint to Founders. It's typically a good business practice to listen to you consumers and retailers. (So CBS 4pk's please! And get on that BA FIS pronto!) Thank you!

18. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (234) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Is Canada getting all the affordable 12 oz four packs again this year like they did last year?

19. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (31) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It sucks that they removed FIS for no apparent reason. I love that beer. Hopefully they bring it back next year.

ppohio, THANAT0PSIS, bound4er and 6 others like this.
  20. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (452) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

While I was on vacation this summer in Lake Placid I brought a bottle of CBS to enjoy at a special moment. The first pour into my 12 ounce tulip glass was very enjoyable but..... that was enough. I almost had to force myself to finish the bottle so I would not waste it. A definite pass for me. Especially when our brothers up North got 12 ounce bottles last year. Between the latest Barrel Aged offerings and now this I am losing my faith in Founders.

FonyBones and brutalfarce like this.
  21. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (452) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

Not me. Too expensive and too much to savor in one sitting.

22. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (652) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

I saw it last year and bought 2 bottles based on its reputation. I'm sure I overpaid for it and I'm happy I had a chance to try it. I thought it was terrific. If I see it at a good price I will buy it again, otherwise, oh well. I can enjoy my Curmugeons Better Half instead.

redeemer and brutalfarce like this.
  23. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,673) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

It definitely seems like they're stretching with how experimental the Barrel Aged series has been. I like new beers to a point, but haven't been impressed with what's coming out of the new barrel facility for Founder's.

I still have hope, but I'm starting to get distracted by everything else on the shelves these days.

flaskman likes this.
  24. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,996) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I could lie and say that I won't pick one up but I know I will. Because it's CBS.

I'd like to get one to drink fresh on Christmas morning...

Junior likes this.
  25. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (421) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

F**k the 750 ml format... sorry, that's my 12oz IPA talking.

Put it in a 4 pack and I'll consider it

26. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (219) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

I heard not so great things last year. At $30 ill pass

flaskman likes this.
  27. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,433) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

No 4 packs = pass for me

benzodrums, stingray, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  28. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Aspirant (255) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

Will definitely get one, maybe two. My beer nerd friends gave me shit for not sharing with them last year; so I'll have to do that this time 'round.

Also, for those hoping for Imperial Stout... who's to say that won't be their first barrel aged offering of 2019? I suspect it will be, personally.

brutalfarce likes this.
  29. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Disciple (399) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Trader

If I was smart, I'd use my hunnit to buy 2 and use the other 50 to buy a case of the Lagunitas Willetized, or whatever the hell their barrel aged offering will be called, but I'm not, so I'll still buy 3-4 bottles, and the case of value stout. My name is blank, and I have a beer purchasing problem:stuck_out_tongue:

30. bbtkd

Premium

Yes, and they get the Mountie on the label while we get the horse.

flaskman and brutalfarce like this.
  31. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,879) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I loved this when I lived in Europe last year, mainly because I could buy a 4-pack of small bottles. I am not planning to buy in the 750ml format. I think all breweries should start packaging their big stouts and barleywines in small bottles or cans. Of course, they make less per ounce, so that means an increase in price!

32. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,433) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Except for the fact that in Ohio the 4 packs (if the same as KBS) are $0.45 per ounce and the 750s are $0.98 if I maffed right
    ($22 vs $25)

33. rypkr

rypkr Champion (825) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Easy pass at 25-30/bomber. Founders is losing me fast lately.

Chris_H_2, jrnyc, brutalfarce and 2 others like this.
  34. Junior

Junior Disciple (323) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Like everyone else I would have liked it better if released in 4-packs. Like some, I would have like to have seen BA Sumatra Mountain. I bought 5 bottles of CBS last year. I had not tried it before. I drank two solo, shared one, gave one away and had one shared with me. I also had it on tap a few times. I have one left which I plan to share soon.

While 750 ml is a lot, I find this one very enjoyable from beginning to end. For me, its not a chore at all. While not as excited about the announcement as I was last year I am far from disappointed. I will probably pick up another 4-5 bottles.

brutalfarce likes this.
  35. bbtkd

Premium

You can get CBS as a 4-pack of bottles in the US, if you buy 4 bombers...only $100!!!!! They should have a $150 6-pack, using one of those wine bottle carriers...

kjlcm, brutalfarce and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  36. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (1,800) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Pass. I tried it last year, it was excellent, but in the years since they first made it, plenty of other breweries have caught up to making good flavored BA stouts at cheaper price points.

brutalfarce and flaskman like this.
  37. FlawlessCowboy

FlawlessCowboy Initiate (34) Jan 4, 2018 New York
    Trader

Disappointing. Was hoping they wouldn't make it into a yearly thing and kill the exclusivity. They must be hurting for money. This won't do as well this year

Anyone in the northern states can just drive a couple hours to Canada if you really want 12ozers, that's what I did last year

#37 FlawlessCowboy, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    flaskman likes this.
  38. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,462) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Well, I love the beer, so I'll buy some. But I would have bought a case at almost any (somewhat reasonable $25-30ish) price if it was 4-pack bottles. Now I'll probably limit myself a lot more than last time. The format makes me sad.

Edit: I almost feel obligated now to buy that last lonely bottle from last year sitting on @jdell15's shelves.

Blogjackets and brutalfarce like this.
  39. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (31) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The hype sold this one last year, and rightfully so. Without the novelty value, the price is going to scare a lot of people off.

I'm more interested in the Bourbon County Coffee Barleywine.

Harrison8 likes this.
  40. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (1,945) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

As much as I would like 4pks I'll still try to grab at least a bottle or two. I still have a bottle from last year so maybe if I can gather enough people to consume so much liquid I will try to do a side by side. Really would prefer 12oz bottles but whatever.