Founders Contract Brewing All Day IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jvgoor3786, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:36 AM.

1. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,484) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

I've already gotten into a discussion with my brothers about Founders turning into Sierra Nevada.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sig...mahou-invested-brewery-to-produce-all-day-ipa

Founders Brewing announced this week plans to start contract brewing its flagship All Day IPA outside its home of Grand Rapids, finding a partner with Colorado’s Avery Brewing. Production will begin in 2019, according to an announcement posted on Founders’ company blog, with the goal of shipping All Day to West Coast markets to offer “the freshest product possible.”

Premo88 and Bitterbill like this.
  2. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (214) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Just curious what this part of your post means?

3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

All Day sucks, doesn't matter where they brew it.

4. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I'll take that a step further, I've never had a session IPA that was better than mediocre from any brewery. Different strokes for different folks maybe the style just isn't for me.

I assume he means that some Sierra Nevada is brewed in North Carolina rather than California now

ZebulonXZogg, RobNewton and nc41 like this.
  5. jvgoor3786

Premium Trader

Great question. My brother argues that as companies get bigger they get worse in quality. His words: They will become a brewery that used to be good.

We also discussed greed and money as motivation, but I think that's a different topic all together.

6. nc41

Trader

SN makes great beers at a great price, but they do make great beers. Most Brewers would love to be SN kinda good.

7. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,029) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Your brother is full of it.

DonicBoom, Zorro, PatrickCT and 25 others like this.
  8. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (385) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

They're already not hip like they used to be. I think they're embracing that and just becoming what they're supposed to from here, a mass producer of good beer. It's hard to shrink from where they're at and become the mysterious cool kid in the brewing scene again. Michigan is inundated with up and coming breweries, so founders is spreading it's wings and getting it's sales elsewhere.

I don't think it'll make quality worse, but there will be risk of becoming boring to people in other markets after the initial wave of sales. At least they didn't invest in a new brewery, at least until they see the result of this venture.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  9. jvgoor3786

Premium Trader

I know. We had a civilized discussion about it and came to an understanding of each other's position. We've found a middle ground on many things and left the discussion still friends. You know, like most everyone does now adays.

PatrickCT, wspscott, bret717 and 3 others like this.
  10. Hoos78

If every brewery could aspire to operate like Sierra Nevada it would be a good thing.

From the way it was phrased, it sounded like invoking Sierra Nevada was a pejorative. Which I think is ludicrous.

11. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (541) Mar 28, 2009 California

Hard not to derail the thread with a comment that infers that Sierra Nevada has declined in quality and is greedy. SN is such a huge part of the Chico community and an ambassador for it. They give back all the time from natural energy to brewing beers like Resilience IPA where they are donating all the sales to the Camp Fire Relief Fund.

The concept that bigger is less quality is just stupid. Sierra Nevada has so many resources to increase quality like the great bottling line to minimize oxygen at bottling. Unless a brewery like Green Flash starts cutting corners to increase profits larger breweries like SN only get better because they have more resources.

12. jvgoor3786

Premium Trader

He was only stating SN's quality has dropped as they grew, in his opinion. He backtracked his comments on greed as I pointed out some faults in his statements.

bret717 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (541) Mar 28, 2009 California

I might get a little defensive as a SN fanboy. Cheers.

TriggerFingers, pbrian and jvgoor3786 like this.
  14. jvgoor3786

Premium Trader

No worries, man. I'm a huge Founders homer as a Grand Rapids native. I feel like I derailed my own thread. :rofl:

Really wondering if people think Founders made a good decision or if quality will suffer.

15. nc41

Trader

Lol, I'm drinking a Celebration right now. Thick, thick creamy head, nicely hoppy, I don't get any spice, but this is a super easy drinking beer. 10/10 bottling.

16. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,448) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I mean Avery is a pretty competent brewery ... I find it curious that they are looking to contract brew though. Kind of interesting

17. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Initiate (86) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio

I’ll wait and see, but I don’t see a downside as Avery, a fine company that makes some good beers, gets some business thrown its way and Founders gets its beer made without selling its soul for in the form of distribution rights. Distribution is a major issue and this deal looks like a good one for all involved.

Breakfast White Rascal Stout anyone? Cheers!

sharpski, Txex06, Lahey and 1 other person like this.
  18. bigstar87

bigstar87 Initiate (40) Oct 5, 2018 Wisconsin

I think it tastes like pure hop water. I need my ipa/ pale ales to have some malt backbone. I do see the point in making lower abv beers though, but for only 0.5% or so more abv, I'd rather drink SNPA, Moon Man, Daisycutter.

19. jvgoor3786

Premium Trader

All Day is a staple in my cooler at the pool in the summer along with PC Pils.

frozyn, Zaphog, Txex06 and 2 others like this.
  20. Hoos78

We can bemoan All-Day all we want, but they sell a sh!? ton of it. It’s their “lights on” beer.

I wonder if the arrangement with Avery will be long term, or if they will eventually open their own facility out west? These things always lead to accusations of quality inconsistencies...whether they are actual or just perceived is anyone’s guess.

Founders does a lot right in my book, they are pretty ubiquitous so there there are several of their beers that I’m not crazy about, but IMHO, their quality is pretty damn high.

Bitterbill, GetMeAnIPA, Lahey and 2 others like this.
  21. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (450) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Hell Yes, sorry to excited. I meant I totally agree :wink:.

22. nc41

Trader

I agree, or just drink a few less. The All Day is bullshit.

bigstar87 likes this.
  23. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (385) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

All day isn't a favorite, but I have no problem drinking it if it's the only craft available where I'm at. Their other rotating ipas are all pretty solid too. Azacca is one that I like a bit. What they lost in hipness they've gained in availability and consistency. Hopefully they keep that up with any expansion.

bigstar87 and jvgoor3786 like this.
  24. zid

zid Savant (915) Feb 15, 2010 New York

It feels like people are forgetting that Mahou San Miguel owns 30% of these two companies. Based on production demands, this shift is par for the course.

25. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (422) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Trader

I’m not a huge fan of Celebration but it tastes exactly the same as it did the first time I had it 20 years ago. Sierra Nevada has grown tremendously since then but their quality and consistency has not declined.

26. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (834) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

As if building a 2ond brewery 3,000 miles away is the same as having your beer contract brewed.

27. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,385) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

It is interesting that Founders needs more capacity, as they made a little less than 500k barrels last year in a 900k plus brewery. Have they grown that fast, or are shipping costs and issue, or does putting more product in Avery help that bottom line?

wspscott, zid and FBarber like this.
  28. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,385) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Both locations are owned by Ken Grossman. They take great care in the quality from both breweries, and matching flavors.

29. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (834) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

explain

30. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,343) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

According to the Brewbound interview with FBC's CEO Mike Stevens (mentioned in the GBH article), in discussing their desire for an east coast facility:
    So, I guess the answer is "A bit of all of the Above".:grin:

Not quite sure what that means, but Founders is already distributed in CO (primarily through MC houses by the looks of those names). Typically, the Avery contract-brewed Founders will be also:

31. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (498) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Except for the part where Sierra Nevada is wholly independent, and Avery and Founders are both partially owned by Mahou-San Miguel, so this is actually a very smart business move to use tank real estate in Colorado to handle Founders West Coast distribution needs, and a hell of a lot cheaper to use existing facilities than to do all of the work necessary for SN to create their Asheville destination and brewing facility.

32. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (498) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Really?

dennis3951 and thesherrybomber like this.
  33. moshea

moshea Devotee (462) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

sez you

ben4unc likes this.
  34. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,448) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I was not forgetting :stuck_out_tongue: ... I didn't know that they were both owned by MSM :scream: ... but I don't really know much about Avery. Thanks for that clarification - it does make total sense now.

zid likes this.
  35. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

It's actually quite good if you're seeking an American IPA below 5%. It may not be pointing its dick at Vermont, but one mustn't see this as a fault, but rather integrity. Plus, at $1.00 a can, you really can't bitch

John1985, frozyn, ManBearPat and 11 others like this.
  36. BiddzzBA

BiddzzBA Initiate (26) Jan 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Been true from what I have seen.

BayAreaJoe and jvgoor3786 like this.
  37. moshea

moshea Devotee (462) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

350,000 BBLs of of Founders 580,000 barrels are All Day.

drtth, dennis3951 and MJS08 like this.
  38. jvgoor3786

Premium Trader

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

39. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (599) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

For real, asking a question about Founders by throwing Sierra Nevada under a bus. Pretty much tossed his brother down there too.

40. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Initiate (33) Nov 24, 2018 New York

Grateful that I can get a stovepipes of all day for less than $2.00 to crush at summer bbq's

Premo88 and Txex06 like this.