Release Founders - Dankwood

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by darklord2011, Jan 26, 2018.

1. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (143) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Founders next Barrel Aged Series release is Dankwood. An Imperial Red IPA aged in bourbon barrels. Ships April 2nd in 750ml at $11.99 and four-packs $14.99. It's essentially barrel aged reDANKulous.

I’m in for a couple four-packs.

GreenBayBA, Mongrel, Dan411 and 16 others like this.
  2. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (151) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Yep im in too!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,554) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Maybe it's time I try the base version, so I have something to reflect on while trying this.

I'm interested.

4. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (204) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Dammit! Not another barrel-aged DIPA from Founders. I pass!

SteelersX, Gemini6, TboneRN and 6 others like this.
  5. darklord2011

Here’s an excerpt from the Founders Cadre post.....

What do you get when a big, bold imperial red IPA meets an oak bourbon barrel? A palate stunner that’ll send your senses spinning or, as we like to call it, Dankwood. Rich caramel notes emerge from the depths of the IPA, highlighting strong malt character while the bourbon barrel-aging develops the complexity. A dank, sticky and slightly sweet sipper, Dankwood is the perfect alchemy of wood and hops.

Dankwood starts shipping on April 2 and will be available in 750mL bottles and 4-packs of 12oz bottles throughout our 46-state distribution network later in the month. Suggested retail price is $11.99/750mL and $14.99/4-pack 12oz bottles. You may remember this beer as barrel-aged reDANKulous, which was featured heavily in our taproom (and many of our bellies).

Dankwood is the third release of 2018 in the Barrel-Aged Series, preceded by KBS and Backwoods Bastard our newest year-round beer. There are three remaining Barrel-Aged Series beers to be announced this year.

This information was shared with you, our Cadre members, first. Look for more details about the beer on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram closer to the release.

6. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (207) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I love ReDankulous, but I have yet to find a barrel aged IPA/DIPA that I like. I'll try it if I see it, but I am a bit skeptical (for my tastes).

That said, if any brewery could nail the style, Founders is the one...and the base beer is fantastic.

7. waltari

waltari Initiate (53) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I guess they 'retired' their FIS to make a BA version of it.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  8. darklord2011

I'm a big fan of Doom and would have bought more if I could have found more four-packs instead of 750ml format.

9. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (416) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Trader

Awesome, when's that coming out?

10. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Initiate (198) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan

I'm not of fan of barrel aged IPA but I will definitely try this one. But I really liked Brandankulous (brandy barrel aged Redankulous) when they had it in their taproom. I hope this one is similar.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,447) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

I really like BA IPAs, and while I'm not a huge fan of Redankulous, BranDankulous was great. Looking forward to this.

12. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,287) Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Premium

ReDANKulous is an amazing beer. So glad they made that as a regular 4-pack beer after its initial Backstage Series release. One of the best hoppy amber ales out there, and unlike most that advertise themselves as such, this one actually takes like a supper hoppy amber ale instead of just another run-of-the-mill DIPA.

jmdrpi and BenHoppy like this.
  13. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,554) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Interesting. I honestly had no clue. I saw bottles from time to time, but never paid enough attention to look it up. I know it's still on shelves around here, so I'll snag a bottle and give it a go myself.

Thanks!

14. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,287) Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Premium

It might be really old at this point--I forget when it came out last, but I remember having it over the summer I think? If it's more than 2-3 months old, hold off until the next batch.

15. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (538) Mar 28, 2009 California

If an ipa is going to be barrel aged a red is the best. Bottle logic just released a barrel aged red and it was very good.

jakecattleco and raynmoon like this.
  16. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,361) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Love bourbon barrel aged hoppy red ales. Imagine I will love this, especially in 12 ounce format.

17. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

I'm in for at least a four-pack.

VABA likes this.
  18. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (507) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Love Redankulous, love Doom, still need to try Brandankulous. But will definitely be buying a 4pk of Dankwood.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  19. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (776) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I know everyone wants this series to be closer to Firestone's, being mostly barleywine/ stouts/ sweeter beers, but I applaud the experimentation. I bet it tastes good and is probably very affordable, to boot.

20. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (735) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

I suspect I will like this one more than Doom. Imperial reds seem more robust and likely to not fight the barrel than Double Trouble.

I’ll try it.

raynmoon likes this.
  21. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,806) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

Wish they'd tried to BA Red's Rye instead, but I'll happy try this one.

22. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (1,680) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I had BA Redankukous on tap at the anniversary party. It was decent, but not something I would line up for. I
    Am a assuming Dankwood is the same.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  23. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,597) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I've had some in house only BA Hoppyum and BA Seeing Double at Foothills Brewery a few years ago. It was interisting to say the least and incredibly barrel heavy, but I like Bourbon too, but it was like a quarter shot of bourbon in a glass of beer.

24. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (735) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

I just want to get super fresh Red’s— perhaps my favorite founders beer of all!

Jayk231 and jakecattleco like this.
  25. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,361) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Never got to try Red's Rye.....but the rye addition would have been nice. Thinking of my 2 favorite BBA red ales I have tried (La Cumbre's Ryeot On and Bosque's Red Lightning), rye was a part of the mix in both.

jakecattleco likes this.
  26. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,973) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

They had me at "next Barrel Aged Series release."

27. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,294) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

is Redankulous the base beer here? That beer was underwhelming. If so I'll probably pass. If not I'll also probably pass.

GreenBayBA, Prince_Casual and VABA like this.
  28. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (108) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

This is next in Founder’s barrel aged series? KBS day is usually April 1st..and this Dankwood beer ships April 2nd?..

Interesting but from the Founder’s web site:

https://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2018/kbs-week-2018/

I think KBS release day is pushed up to March, then the year round “official” release of Backwoods Bastard in April and then Dankwood as the 3rd in the barrel series releases for this year..

Peace...

#28 MusicBeer_1961, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (776) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I feel some of us are losing touch with good beer, considering some of these comments and the overall trends nowadays.

Think about it.

30. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (615) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

I am really excited for this. I love how Founders experiments with Barrel-Aging, and doesn't just Barrel Age Stouts. (They do those great too.)

31. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (440) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

In prior years KBS is always available to MI in March. It starts to hit nationwide in April. Similar things occurred last year with other beers in the BA series. The same could be true with Dankwood hitting MI April 2nd, but may take another few weeks to hit the rest of the nation.

MusicBeer_1961 likes this.
  32. Jayk231

Jayk231 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2017 Michigan

They are going to bottle it this year...I think its part of the mothership series. Its my favorite founders year round for sure!

jakecattleco and surfcaster like this.
  33. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,294) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

"Good" beer is subjective.

HorseheadsHophead and maximum12 like this.
  34. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Indeed, but many of us rate lack of off flavors and novelty/experimentation as more important than our subjective taste/preference.

Personally, I'd much rather Reds Rye be bottled or lesser a BA version, Devil Dancer, or the Devil Went Down to Kentucky than this BA ReDankukous, but that's just my taste. I assume this will be incredibly easy drinking- the hops and barrel heat back and forth, canceling out each other, as IMO Doom/other good BA IPAs and hopped whiskey have been.

35. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (874) Feb 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

As a homer for Michigan beer I will definitely pick this up and try it. The past couple BA imperial reds I’ve had have reminded me of BA barleywines and I’ve teally enjoyed them. Hoping for the same here.

36. jakecattleco

Premium Trader

craigo19 and surfcaster like this.
  37. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (310) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Barrel aged G'Knight by OB was definitely good.

Ill give this a try.

38. jakecattleco

Premium Trader

Did that see distro, or brewery only? I'd definitely love you try it.

39. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (642) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

If Founders is gonna brew something, I'm gonna try it. They usually get it done right, 'cept maybe "Koz".

Chuck2319, craigo19 and bbtkd like this.
  40. tzieser

tzieser Savant (961) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Have you tried CCB White Oak Jai Alai? Had some fresh cans of it recently and I was pretty impressed. I agree though, generally not a fan of BA IPAs.