1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Founders KBS returns nationwide on March 15th.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DoghouseReilly3946, Jan 31, 2019.

1. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Aspirant (278) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky
    Society

Founders KBS returns nationwide on March 15th with a taproom release on March 8th and will be packaged in both 12 ounce and 750ml bottles.

Much like Bells Hopslam, the status of KBS appears to have subsided in recent years in favor of more local craft releases. Is 2019 KBS something you will actively seek out or just something you may pick up if you see it?

2. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (578) Dec 12, 2014 California

In before somebody mention "shelf turd"

3. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (578) Dec 12, 2014 California

Great beer. I'll get a 4-pack and maybe more. I'm sure I will not have to actively seek it out to be able to get some.

jcos and jakecattleco like this.
  4. readyski

readyski Aspirant (234) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

"Bartender. There is an off flavor in this beer. Oh yeah, it's missing hype."
    Seriously I'm looking forward to getting some more KBS. Always welcome in my glass!

JohnnyHopps, jcos, craigo19 and 13 others like this.
  5. thuey

thuey Aspirant (250) Nov 13, 2015 California

I don't seek it. But if I see it, and I'm in the mood, I'll pick up a 4-pack.

(I wasn't in the mood last year.)

6. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (324) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

What's the definition of shelf turd as I can find 4 packs of 2018 KBS at many stores still?

7. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (125) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'll probably end up with a 4 pack but that's only if I see it. No going out of my way for it this year since SMS is at least as good and a total shelf beer where I am at this point.

GreenBayBA, DoctorZombies and tzieser like this.
  8. Junior

Junior Zealot (539) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Hopefully, that will mean more in Michigan this year.

9. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,485) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

10. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (235) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Great beer but very pricey in my area, will only pick some up if I see it at a decent price.

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,858) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

What is your threshold here?

Cheers!

12. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (89) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Think I paid $40 for a 4-pack last year, maybe more. But definitely not less.

LarryV and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. thuey

thuey Aspirant (250) Nov 13, 2015 California

Holy cow! Even in crazy expensive SF, I pay about $24-26.

14. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,017) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

That's cool. I prefer Sunday Morning Stout a bit more, personally.

@ericwo that's a disgrace. I'd probably write my local congressman about that (i'm only half-joking)

15. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (460) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Them's Prairie Bomb prices!

16. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,544) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I love this beer. It's reasonably priced compared to many other similar beers and the taste is incredible. I'm very happy with the availability the last few years.

17. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Ouch, its around $24 bucks a 4 pack here. That sucks, I would not pay $40.

18. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (305) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Was it ever really gone though?

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  19. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (279) Aug 3, 2015 New York

I will pick up half a case. I really enjoy it and consider it a treat. I did the same last year and still have 5 left. I do the same thing with High West Victory at Sea.

MikeP64, Greyvtrayn and szmnnl99 like this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,709) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

It’s the toughest BA Stout to get that Distros here. I’d buy a case if I could.

21. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (235) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not the price I see it for. It's good and I enjoy it but not that much. I get the economics of it all and not expecting to see it for $10.99 or something crazy like that but...

22. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (181) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

I have not seen boo diddly about 2019 SMS.. anyone? Usually right about now yes??

keithmurray likes this.
  23. hoagzzz

I’ll grab prob two four packs, IMO fresh KBS is still top notch. However it Starts to fade as early 5-6 months.

tmalt, DISKORD and Junior like this.
  24. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Initiate (89) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

25. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (125) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I do believe SMS 'usually' comes out now, but in my state it showed up very late last year (I want to say April). I remember seeing it in the hauls thread for a good month or 2 before it finally turned up at my shop. Was worth the wait since I was easily able to procure 2 4 packs at $13 each. KBS on the other hand is at best $20/4 pack here.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  26. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (331) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I opened a 2015 about a week ago and it was terrible. It had a bitter, chalky taste and I had to pour it out.

Junior and hoagzzz like this.
  27. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,285) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Three years ago, I felt lucky to be getting a 4-pack of KBS which required me to also buy two 4-packs of FBS. Last year I could have gotten a few dozen cases easily, but only got one 4-pack, and I think I've got some left. Not sure I'll get any this year - like @tzieser, I like Sunday Morning Stout as well and it's cheaper - and there are many other BA beers I like for cheaper. KBS hasn't changed, still good, but not worth $22+ a 4-pack to me.

28. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,899) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I will actively seek this.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. hoagzzz

More I think of it one four pack might be the way to go. I really am looking forward to SMS considering the value and quality. Another brew that’s better when fresh.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  30. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (89) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It always sucks to see how high the Philly/PA market is compared to most places! I didn't think too much of paying $40 for a 4-pack of KBS because in years past when it was nearly impossible to find a 4-pack, the going price for a single bottle of KBS in the Philly area was about $10. I also recently paid $35 for a bottle of CBS. What's up with these prices?

31. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (464) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Always love picking up a 4-pack or two of KBS, it's one of favorite beers (loss of hype or not!). People are silly.

On a side note, did a 4-year vertical of KBS last year and like mentioned above, fresher is best with this one. Each recent year got better than the previous bottle.

Blogjackets likes this.
  32. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (325) Apr 29, 2012 California

Never really liked this one with age on it. If you plan on drinking it before New Years 2020, then you're good! I might pick some up if I see it.

33. gcasher

gcasher Zealot (521) Dec 20, 2008 Pennsylvania

I've seen it in Pittsburgh (maybe last year's?); several cases.

34. Rich4mde1

Rich4mde1 Initiate (28) Jun 27, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

$40 to me seems really high for this beer. I think here in Missouri its somewhere in the park of $20-24, which IMO is fine for what you get. Enjoyable beer.

35. HopsCraftHouse

HopsCraftHouse Initiate (54) Mar 18, 2016 New York

Thats rough! The big box grocery store around here messed up and put most of theirs on their "Make your own 6 pack" wall. I got a case for $45. I know I just made out lucky and got it way under cost but even the beer stores around here had them for $20/ 4pk

Cheers!

craigo19 and dcotom like this.
  36. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Ya that is way beyond crazy. I got a bottle of CBS for $20 bucks. I can see a slight price difference but not almost double, someone is raking in the cash on these items.

brutalfarce likes this.
  37. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (498) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Just saw bombers of this and CBS still on the shelf at local grocer. 12.99 for KBS, 18.99 for CBS. Would definitely do both in a 4 pack format, definitely passing on KBS bombers and probably not looking for another CBS bomber

GreenBayBA likes this.
  38. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,067) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I've got more big stouts than Carter has liver pills (anybody [edit: else] here old enough to remember that line?) but I'm in anyway.

39. robo55

robo55 Initiate (54) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Love KBS! I couldn’t even finish my bottle of Treehouse Double Shot, but can’t get enough of KBS. I’ll for sure pickup a couple of 4-pks just like I do every year.

GreenBayBA, flaskman and Junior like this.
  40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,397) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

This time nation wide will include Wyoming, though Founders isn't expected to ou hit the local market until the end of April.

GreenBayBA and Mindcrime1000 like this.