Release Founders - New Barrel-Aged Series Release: DKML

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Beer_Economicus, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Initiate (133) Mar 8, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Drinking one on tap right now. It doesn't have a whole lot of flavor other than barrel. Not overwhelming though and surprisingly smooth for being over 14%. I'm not mad at it, but I don't love it. I certainly don't see it as a failure and commend them for doing something way out of the box.

2. KBS

KBS Disciple (336) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Hitting distro today.

3. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (649) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Cool label, unless it shows up at my place with someone I won't be trying it. Sound interesting but $ point is too much for me.

Enjoy

4. theonegman

theonegman Initiate (129) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

This is a good beer to just try a single first for like 5 bucks. And if ya like it, then buy the 4pk

Beer_Economicus and croush like this.
  5. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (259) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I passed on Lizard of Koz (too much money) but I actually really enjoyed Frootwood, reminded me of a Manhattan

BWood likes this.
  6. Mute_Ant_Brew

Mute_Ant_Brew Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2017 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I saw somebody else call this "session whiskey" and feel that it was an accurate description of my experience drinking this.

cjgiant likes this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,577) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

So far it has a BA average of 3.82 across six ratings, but no reviews. I've seen folks post a review in this thread - why not turn those into official BA reviews so more people can see them?

8. craigo19

craigo19 Disciple (332) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

I had one on Sunday and I found it to be a little hot. I am going to throw 2 in the cellar and see how they taste in a year or two.

jdell15 and GreenBayBA like this.
  9. apendecto

apendecto Initiate (79) Mar 31, 2009 Michigan

Sounds awesome!

10. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (176) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Has this hit SE Michigan? I was out of town at the end of June and around the holiday. I haven't seen anything about it since then, either.

GreenBayBA and Sparty1224 like this.
  11. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

Founders is saying it's in distribution across their distribution markets. Haven't heard a peep here.

12. theonegman

theonegman Initiate (129) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

Still waiting. I bet next week

13. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (265) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I have not seen it yet in indiana, but Indiana gets it typically about a week after many other areas, and it pretty much always drops on a Friday. I'll give my local guy a call and see if I can get any word - that should provide at least some useful information to those of you nearby.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  14. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

Please post when it turns up there because it will be a couple of weeks after that when it turns up here. Michigan gets Founders releases first.

15. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Devotee (423) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I came here to ask the same thing! What's up Founder's?? It's been nearly a month since taproom release...

BaseballNBeer likes this.
  16. darklord2011

darklord2011 Aspirant (227) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

In Indy now. Just had a tasting. Way too strong for this style. I drink straight bourbon and still thought this beer was too strong. If it were an imperial stout you might be able to get away with 14% abv but not a malt beverage. I passed and it's the first time I've passed on a Founders limited release.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  17. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Kahn's?

18. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (213) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Picked up a 4 Banger at Party Source in Northern Kentucky, they had the bombers as well, but figured I'd go with the 4 pack. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  19. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

It hit Indiana Friday. Everywhere at list in Indy and NW quadrant of Indiana that didn't get it prior.

20. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,092) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I was able to find it today in West Lafayette, so that tracks with @Beer_Economicus. Got one cooling in the fridge now.

GreenBayBA and Beer_Economicus like this.
  21. Benjolovesbeer

Benjolovesbeer Zealot (506) Nov 9, 2016 Michigan

Had this last night and for 14% abv malt liquor this is quite smooth. I agree with it being session whiskey so if your not a fan of whiskey this is probably not for you. But yeah this stuff was pretty enjoyable.

Mongrel, GreenBayBA and bret717 like this.
  22. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (218) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Had one last night. It was like white corn liquor watered down with sugar water. Sweet and very boozy. I have a second bottle, but i won't buy more. Its not terrible, but it's not worth the money to me.

23. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (213) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Finally tried one on Saturday night. The resounding voice between my friend and I was, meh. There isn't much to it, aside from the Bourbon flavor and a bit of sweetness from the corn in the mash. Again, not bad, not great. Wouldn't buy again. Another "meh" from the Barrel Aged Series.

24. Beav42

Beav42 Initiate (133) Sep 13, 2007 Pennsylvania

Had it at MI summer beer fest and couldn't finish a 3-4oz pour. Quite easily the worst Founder's I've had.

25. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (456) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

26. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,277) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

All over this looking forward to it.

27. Benjolovesbeer

Exactly but shouldn't be as compared to all these on the list Dick Kicker excels. Best malt liquor ever invented. Why so much hate? I don't get it. It's supposed to be rough, not meant to be liked it's malt liquor but Founders made it to be the most flavorful malt liquor on the planet and deserves high praise of a 5 compared to other malt liquors. It's 14% and super smooth. Tell me another malt liquor with similar abv that is smoother? DkML deserves to be @ the top of this list. This is truly delicious stuff that is dangerously drinkable.

BWood, craigo19, bret717 and 3 others like this.
  28. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (456) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've not tried it yet, but even if it is mediocre, it surely doesn't belong with the rest of that swill. So, my comment was made in jest.

Benjolovesbeer likes this.
  29. Benjolovesbeer

Belongs there but should be #1

30. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Defender (682) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Dogfish Head's was supposed to be awesome, and they sold it with a paper bag. It's half the ABV, but that's one of the only other ones I can think of from a well-regarded craft brewery.

Given your join date, I assume it was before your time. It was before mine, as well.

I will buy a single of DKML if given the chance if only for the novelty and the tick.

tzieser and FFFjunkie like this.
  31. Benjolovesbeer

Regardless of my join date I've been drinking craft beer for 15 years but never heard of Dogfish Head's malt liquor but never have I been too fond of Dogfish Head. Beyond Noble Rot & AmericanBeauty I never cared too much for them I doubt they can do better than DKML especially since I love almost every Founders brew and yes if DFH malt liquor is only half the amount of abv as DKML then it really doesn't come close which once again makes DKML #1.

32. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

That was a mouthful.

33. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Defender (682) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I didn't mean my comment on your join date as an insult at all.

I don't think ABV correlates to quality.

GreenBayBA and Beer_Economicus like this.
  34. Benjolovesbeer

No but @ 14% it's unbelievably smooth

35. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (565) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Lol!

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  36. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Devotee (456) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

FFF did Region Riot awhile back. It was a malt liquor in a 32 or 40 oz bottle complete with a screw top and sold in a paper bag. I actually thought it was pretty good and clocked in around 8%.

No idea why I didn't check it in on utappd but luckily I sent a buddy a bottle and he checked it in. Took me a minute to find it....

37. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (149) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Yeah, just bought another single to see if I was crazy given some of these responses. I think it's pretty good and the sweetness (what 14% beer isn't sweet) is rounded out nicely with the barrel.

I seriously don't know what some people were expecting here. It's perfectly fine obviously if someone doesn't care for it, but it's pulled off exactly as advertised and done pretty damn well.

38. tzieser

tzieser Champion (861) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I picked up a bottle yesterday. The malt liquor labeling really did grab my attention but the whole BBA part of it seems a bit unnecessary. A few thoughts I'd like to mention

• As I said before, I really don't think a relatively clean style like malt liquor needs any barrel aging. I think this was just to appease the beer geeks
    • Would have been cool if they went for 40oz bottles and perhaps dialed down the ABV a bit. They also missed an opportunity to put "HIGH GRAVITY" on the label. That's all the rage in the malt liquor world
    • Also would have been kinda funny if they included a paper bag like DFH did with Liquor de Malt
    • I might have to drink half of this straight from the bottle like a true malt liquor
    I think I'll wait until Friday to drink it. Doesn't seem like a work night beer unless I'm in the mood for a "one and done".

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  39. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,092) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I personally like DKML a lot more than I did Region Riot; the barrel treatment takes the edge off a bit, despite being so much higher in alcohol content. Also in Indiana but virtually unknown compared to 3 Floyds, Books & Brews did a BBA malt liquor last year called #IAMSORRY that is the only other BBA version I've tried. I personally preferred #IAMSORRY (4.2 versus a 4.09 for DKML), but obviously Founders has a much larger reach; I'm actually the only review or rating for #IAMSORRY.

Edit: Oh hey, just noticed that I contributed the picture for all three of these malt liquors.

Beer_Economicus and FFFjunkie like this.
  40. philsunset

philsunset Initiate (199) Oct 3, 2013 Michigan

Dangerously drinkable indeed. I bought a 4pk last Saturday, chilled them, had one, ended up having all 4. :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.