Founders to release 4 Giants IIPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by drunkenmess, Nov 20, 2019.

1. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,057) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

We have some more exciting 2020-related news for you. The newest addition to the 2020 Limited Series is a beer previously only available as a taproom exclusive. Introducing…

[​IMG]

4 Giants IPA
    We’ve made a lot of imperial IPAs over the years and, in turn, have had a lot of arguments over which one is the absolute best. So, to settle this once and for all, our brewers mashed up four of our favorite recipes into the ultimate imperial IPA. 4 Giants boasts aggressive bitterness balanced by a malty, sweet backbone while huge aromatics come courtesy of the seven American hop varieties. 9.2% ABV, 80 IBUs.

4 Giants IPA will be available across our distribution footprint in 4-packs of 12oz bottles and on draft as early as April 2020 through June 2020. Please note that Utah will not be receiving draft. Taproom release is TBD.[​IMG]

We’ll have more announcements to come on our 2020 availability calendar – stay tuned!

2. alert

alert Initiate (30) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

I will grab a pack out of sheer curiosity. I don't think I have had a Founders IPA since Barrel Runner was around.

3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

If they’re calling it a malty sweet backbone , and it clocks in at 9.2 abv, I can already taste the over the top sweetness. It’s like when the Dr tells this might hurt a bit.... and it does. They're telling you it’s sweet.... and I’m sure it will be. But I’d still try it although sweetish DIPAs aren’t my thing.

4. alert

alert Initiate (30) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

You are probably right it will be sweet but most doubles and triples are sweet to my pallet. Once you hit the ~10% abv level I just assume I'm going to have to deal with some sweetness. Double Two Hearted was extremely sweet to me but people seemed to love it. If they can keep the sweetness level in this below where Curmudgeon's Better Half was I'll be happy with it. I know it is a different style of beer but for comparing relative sweetness levels I don't mind comparing different styles.

Bitterbill and mambossa like this.
  5. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (472) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Agree so hard.

Its incredibly difficult to produce a beer that features hops in such a high ABV without it being too sweet for this guy... outside of SoS and PtE, these types of beer don’t seem to ever have much balance to them, and even those two are *only* 8%.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dale, I am in the same boat. I personally will not be drinking this beer.

Cheers!

hoppytobehere and ManBearPat like this.
  7. drunkenmess

Society Trader

I too think this will be a sweeter IPA.:thinking_face:

Yet (if i remember correctly) Devil Dancer wasn't a malt bomb and that abv was 12%
    It was actually well excecuted. (IMO)
    Another blended IIPA they usually have on tap in their taproom is 12 Feet Under. A 14% abv blend of 3 different IPAs barrel aged. Which isn't the same since the barrel adds some sweetness, but was still not overly sweet but balanced for what it is. Also found Double Two Hearted on the more sweeter side yet still enjoyable. :beers:

8. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,726) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I’ll drink a single if I can get one fresh, maybe just for a change of pace. Does not sound like the sweeter NEIPA styles like the 10% other half beers, guessing it’s a big malt bomb with lots of resinous bitterness from the description.

9. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (740) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

No idea why I read this as Troegs new DIPA, when I saw the package with the DT looking guy I was confused. Maybe I had nimble Giant in my head.

I need my coffee

To be on topic this does not sound like a beer I would like. Those sweet malty alcohol burn beers don’t do it for me.

Enjoy

mikeinportc likes this.
  10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,825) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Sounds like Hopslam, I always considered that a malty sweet beer and this sounds similar, least to me.

If I locate some singles I will do 2 to sample for sure, but nothing I am going to hunt for.

Cheers

tobelerone and drunkenmess like this.
  11. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,365) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

One of the sweetest DIPAs I can remember was Southern Tier Unearthly, boy that beer was cloying sweet.......hope this isn't near that bad.

I'll try a 4 pack even though I'm not a sweet beer guy either. Curiosity peaked with the 7 hops thing.

mikeinportc and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  12. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Initiate (120) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio

To my palate (and working on memory) Double Two Hearted has more of a malty sweetness than Hopslam. I thought Hopslam was better last year than in the previous few. Seemed more hoppy than sweet. Admittedly I’m biased as I love honey.

In other Bell’s hallucinations I saw them post on Instagram bottles of Black Note Vanilla rolling on the line. Waiting with impatience on that one. Cheers!

13. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I thought the exact same thing. To me, the sweetness works for Hopslam, maybe because it's so aggressively hopped. It's one of my favorites. I will be trying 4 Giants to see how it compares. May need more than one, though. :slight_smile:

14. drunkenmess

Society Trader

#14 drunkenmess, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW the sweetness level of Hopslam varies from year to year (or batch variation?) for my palate. Some years I enjoy drinking Hopslam and other years it is too sweet for my palate.

Cheers!

nc41, Blogjackets and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  16. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (98) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I'm sure I'll give it a try.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,825) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Same for me, I always get some each year and its hit and miss as to if I will like it or too sweet. I am going to give this stuff a try out of curiosity.
    Cheers

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (384) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Absolutely awful "art work".

tobelerone likes this.
  19. waltari

waltari Initiate (67) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Feels like very Against The Grain(y).

20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,472) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm willing to keep an open mind about this beer, but I really hope to hell it's nothing like Devil Dancer. DD was a sweet, boozy, hot mess, and was not well executed at all IMHO. As always of course, YMMV, but I really am hoping this beer is less sweet and not as hot as DD.

Bitterbill, Junior and drunkenmess like this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Society

John, I too was not a fan of Devil Dancer with the biggest offending aspect for me being that it was extremely cloying for my palate.

Cheers!

22. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Figured I was in the minority.
    I recently had a growler fill of DD from the Detroit tap room a few months back. It was fantastic. Yes a bit sweet but nothing in comparison to Double Two Hearted. I felt that was way over the top with malt backbone. Yet again, different strokes for different folks. :beers:

23. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (243) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This sounds interesting but I don't drink DIPAs much anymore, hopefully I come across a single at a reasonable price.

24. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, this beer will turn out to taste like Pliny the Elder. :wink:

25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Not to get too side tacked, but...

Back in the day, DD had been a huge want of mine. If memory serves, it was in the BA top 20, and the review descriptions made it sound heavily. There was almost no mention of the heat and huge sweetness you described. Anyway, I was finally able to get a bottle at Capone's or some other bottle shop in the Philly area, and I still remember how excited I was to try it.

To this day I count DD and Masala Mama as the two biggest disappointments/letdowns I've ever had when trying a hugely hyped beer. I thought maybe the bottle I tried was old or something was off about it, but when I tried it again on tap down at the Big Hunt in DC a couple years later, there was virtually no difference.

Different strokes for different folks... I totally get that. Even so, it's amazing to me that anyone can enjoy that beer. All the more reason why I'm hoping 4 Giants is nothing like it. (I really liked Double Trouble, so it's not as if I don't think Founders can craft a well made DIPA).

ESHBG, Bitterbill and JackHorzempa like this.
  26. nc41

Trader

Another problem imo with this kinda beer is that by nature it’s a bit more malt, and with the amount of hops it’s just the way it is, but as these gets older they get to progress into the weirdly sweet category. Age does these kinda beer no favors, I’ll try them super fresh but 2-3 months forget it. There’s some DIPAs that do age well, but the bigger they get the optimum window gets a bit shorter.

PapaGoose03 and drunkenmess like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

LOL! :grin:

Cheers!

PapaGoose03 and Junior like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

John, what you are stating here is very similar to my story.

My first Devil Dancer was somewhere in Manayunk (Flatrock Saloon?) and I was quite disappointed. Was this beer too old?

I tried it again somewhere else in Philly and yup, way too sweet/cloying. I suppose I could have given it another try for 'strike three' but this beer was too expensive to give it another try for me.

Given my palate I too can't understand how anyone could enjoy this sweet mess of a beer but as has been stated more than once: "different strokes for different folks".

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  29. nc41

Trader

Another beer that doesn’t suit me at all, I don’t like sweetish wines either.

30. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Guess I'm that weirdo that keeps buying Lizard of Koz bottles when I see them, too.
    :thinking_face::wink::blush::beers:

CHEERS, fellas!

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

It would be a pretty boring old world and beer site if we all had the same taste in beer. I wish you nothing but long hours of unmitigated enjoyment drinking DD and LOK. Neither beer is my cup of tea, but that doesn't matter in the least. Hope you continue to enjoy them both.

32. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (554) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Random thoughts....pleased we're not subjected to another of their barrel aged IPAs; looking to escape my NEIPA loop, if only for a spell; loved Devil Dancer; thumbs down on Double Two Hearted; consider Lizard of Koz one of the two worst brews I've ever suffered; have enjoyed Hopslam in each of its manifestations; your mileage has undoubtedly varied.

drunkenmess and Bitterbill like this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Society

[​IMG]

34. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (394) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Unless it’s Knee Deep before the head brewer left to start Revision. They constantly produced 11%+ DIPAs that were clean as a whistle. I wish we had more like them.

35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

If I see it, a go of it I will give. Malt is not my enemy.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  36. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,992) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I can already taste the overpowered caramel note with a hint of booze.

Can't wait!

37. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (554) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Simtra Triple comes to mind.

mambossa likes this.
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Definitely different strokes for different folks.

My review from 2008. I specifically mentioned it not being overly sweet and cloying.

I got this in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

This pours a clear amber red with a 1 finger head of foam.(vigorous pour) Plenty of lacing and so far, good head retention.

The smell is hugely of citrus hops with a noticeable side order of sweet malt.

The taste is a well balanced blend of grapefruit and orange citrus hops and caramel malt with maybe the malt having just the wee bit more presence, especially in the finish. Very thickish mouthfeel here bordering on syrupy.

A few more sips in, (and yes the alcohol is quite warming during and after the swallow but we're talking 13%abv) the malt really asserts itself as it should in a well made example of the style. I've had some DIPAs that take it *too* far to the malty side and they were overly sweet and cloying and some that didn't have enough of a malt presence and were overly hoppy. This one finds a very happy medium and I thank Founders for that. Very deicious drop indeed!

drunkenmess likes this.
  39. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (394) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Simtra was the first beer I had from them. Hop Trio (aka Hoparillo) was probably one of the best beers I’ve had in my life.

I’ll stop reminiscing/digressing haha.

Marklaker likes this.
  40. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (801) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Same. Simtra was a godly IIIPA.

mambossa and Marklaker like this.