Founders to release Big Luscious

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by drunkenmess, May 11, 2020.

1. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (925) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

It hasn’t been bottled in years, but 2020 is the perfect time for a comeback. We tweaked the branding a bit but not much else has changed about this returning favorite. It’s time to welcome back…

[​IMG]

BIG LUSCIOUS!

A rich and robust stout serves as the foundation for this decadent dessert beer. Raspberries lend a tart and refreshing sweetness while the addition of dark chocolate takes it to an indulgent level. Big, yet balanced, Big Luscious is perfect for sharing with friends and family. Or you can keep it all to yourself. We won’t tell. 7.8% ABV.

Big Luscious will be on draft and available in 4-pack bottles from October through December. Please note that draft will not be available in UT.

We’ll have more announcements to come on our 2020 availability calendar – stay tuned!

2. BoldCars

BoldCars Initiate (41) Apr 5, 2018 Maryland

Whoever has had it before, how was it? I am hoping it will be a sweet dessert beer with a strong raspberry and chocolate flavor profile like the description says. Would love to see a barrel-aged version of this!

3. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (279) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Yes, was as sweet and decadent as any beer I’ve had. This and Blushing Monk...both were true dessert beers. Many are turned off by the sweetness and richness, but I think that is what they were going for.

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,002) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I am all in on this one, sounds really good. Never had it before so excited to try a new one from them, sucks its not out till Oct.

drunkenmess likes this.
  5. Burgy

Burgy Initiate (172) Jan 14, 2015 Minnesota

Bummer we have to wait until October....

[​IMG]

BIG LUSCIOUS!

A rich and robust stout serves as the foundation for this decadent dessert beer. Raspberries lend a tart and refreshing sweetness while the addition of dark chocolate takes it to an indulgent level. Big, yet balanced, Big Luscious is perfect for sharing with friends and family. Or you can keep it all to yourself. We won’t tell. 7.8% ABV.

Big Luscious will be on draft and available in 4-pack bottles from October through December. Please note that draft will not be available in UT.

We’ll have more announcements to come on our 2020 availability calendar – stay tuned![/QUOTE]

6. Hoos78

Just noticed the slight name change...

drunkenmess likes this.
  7. Junior

Junior Crusader (700) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

You mean the slight tweak to the spelling?

Hoos78 likes this.
  8. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,593) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I didn't care for it that much. A friend sent me a bottle as an extra in a trade, and I then sat on it for a bit (couple of years). When I opened it up at a share, I thought the beer had a very strong cherry cough drop, medicinal flavor that I found off putting. I spoke to someone who had had it before, and he indicated that if anything, the medicinal flavor was even more pronounced when it was first released.

The beer really smelled great, and there were a lot of interesting flavors on the nose and palate (milk chocolate, vanilla, coffee and some raspberry), but I found the medicinal flavor to be very off putting.

BoldCars, dukeandduke and Junior like this.
  9. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,711) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

I will second this. Back in the day I worked at a Godiva Chocolatier and this one took me back to my days dipping fresh fruit into melted dark chocolate. It's very rich: One bottle is definitely good for an evening, though.

10. Hoos78

Yessir. That, along with the label art change I assume, seem to be a measure to stay away from anything that could be construed as offensive. Certainly understandable given what has transpired for their brand in the last couple years...

drunkenmess and Junior like this.
  11. drocpsu

drocpsu Initiate (184) Dec 25, 2006 New Hampshire

We have to wait until October?? :sob:

drunkenmess likes this.
  12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (638) Mar 28, 2009 California

you need to get your hands on Jan the radar by Bottle Logic. It is exactly what you described. Rich, thick, raspberry and chocolate barrel aged stout. It’s like drinking a dessert but in a good way.

13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (638) Mar 28, 2009 California

jam the radar! Doh.....

DoctorZombies and BoldCars like this.
  14. bret27

bret27 Crusader (743) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Is this the brewery that got in trouble for racism? Big luscious chocolate just sounds like a lawsuit.

15. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (348) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

When all you have is a hammer

Everything starts to look like a nail

16. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,276) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

At least this was not the return of Lizard of Koz.

Prince_Casual and traction like this.
  17. traction

traction Zealot (533) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I'll check this one out when I come across it but I'm not overly excited. Berry chocolate stouts are hard to execute in my opinion and I'm not sure I've ever had a good raspberry stout. Hubbard's Cave made an excellent blueberry and chocolate stout called Chocolate & Blueberry Pot De Créme so I know it is possible. Since this one has a relatively low ABV for a stout I am guessing it may be a bit thin as well.

Generally I love the United States but it bugs the ever living hell out of my about the lawsuit culture in my country. There is nothing racist or wrong with this name and there is *certainly* nothing illegal about it. And yes, Founders settled a racism lawsuit in the past but the circumstances were extremely different and had nothing to do with beer names

Complaining about the name of a beer being racist something that generally gets thrown around on Twitter not in the courts (Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout for an example). Generally beers are only brought to court when they are violating copyright with their packaging which a ton of breweries do.

Thanks for the terrible memories are you trying to give me PTSD or something? In all seriousness though that is probably the worst beer I ever had from Founders

Junior and JohnnyHopps like this.
  18. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Is it possible to get diabetes indirectly through PTSD.
    For the record, Barrel Runner might have been worse.

drunkenmess and traction like this.
  19. traction

traction Zealot (533) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

LOL

Minutes after making my previous post I was in another thread called "I like all IPAs!" and asked OP if he had ever tried Barrel Runner. Luckily I only had to suffer through a 6oz pour of that at the bar but I had to finish the entire bottle of Koz. I guess I could of drain poured it but my personal ethics don't really allow dumping beer down the drain

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  20. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,309) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Don't forget Doom, folks. Took about 5 of us to finish a 12 oz bottle

Prince_Casual likes this.
  21. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,249) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

I'll never understand why people online clamor for their barrel series. It's gone down hill every since Batch 3 of Blushing Monk. Stores can't even give their BA beers away in Indiana.

Between no longer being an American craft brewery (due to Spanish ownership) and the whole blatant racism PR fiasco their reputation has taken quite a hit and neither of those have anything to do with their actual product, which has also been on the decline.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  22. BoldCars

That's exactly what I'm going for as well, thank you!

dukeandduke and drunkenmess like this.
  23. BoldCars

I'm already salivating!

drunkenmess likes this.
  24. BoldCars

I wish I could. Almost all of their special beers look absolutely amazing! Unfortunately, I'm on the East coast and so I've never seen any of their beers here; let alone the special ones.

25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I actually liked Doom (and I generally don't like BA DIPA's). I wouldn't have been able to drink a lot of it, but the small glass I had at an event was fine I thought. On the other hand... Barrel Runner is probably the worst IPA/DIPA I've ever tasted (with all due respect to Devil Dancer), and I've had some really bad ones over the years.

My local beer bar had Barrel Runner on tap, and fortunately I only purchased a 5 ounce sample size glass. I told the bartender I thought it was pretty awful, and he acknowledged he felt the same way, and that this seemed to be the reaction most customers had about the beer. He mentioned that it was a fairly expensive keg, and he had no idea how they were going to sell it all. Even the few folks who liked it, only wanted a single small pour of it.

26. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Doom was alright, I had no problem finishing the single that I had purchased. I probably wouldn't want a lot of it but I would drink it again if it ever came about.

I enjoyed Barrel Runner and happily drank through a four pack but I think that it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because of the Rum, which seems to be a polarizing spirit and I know people who either love it or hate it but haven't met any in between people yet.

drunkenmess likes this.
  27. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I think the other reason their stuff sits on shelves is because they make a metric ton. KBS used to sell out in a hour, now it is year round. CBS had a similar effect when they did it for the first time in ten-ish year. Then they did it 3 years in a row and the market had a lot of options for maple stouts.

In terms of the other beers in the barrel series, it is just not as interesting as it once was in addition to there being a ton of it.

Junior and aasher like this.
  28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I like rum quite a bit. I just didn't think it blended in all that well with the base beer.

I know what you mean though. I don't feel that rum barrel flavoring blends in all that well with beer, even ris stouts. I've had some good ones, but not all that many. Aging a dipa in rum barrels... That was really pushing the envelope imho.

#28 John_M, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Marklaker and ESHBG like this.
  29. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,309) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I remember liking devil dancer!:astonished:

drunkenmess and Cubatobaco like this.
  30. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Defender (689) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Devil Dancer! Now there's one I had forgot about. I was trying to think of that for a comparison the other day. I enjoyed it! It was good fresh or with some time down as it evolved into a BW so-to-speak.

drunkenmess likes this.
  31. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (562) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

I'll see your "probably the worst beer I ever had from Founders" and raise you "probably the worst beer I've ever had." Then there's Southern Tier's Crème Brûlée.....