Founders to release KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by drunkenmess, Jun 27, 2020.

1. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (930) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

[​IMG]KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge!

Michigan didn’t invent old-fashioned fudge, but it was perfected here. We pay tribute to this time-honored tradition with KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge. By amplifying the rich chocolate notes of KBS using Mackinac Fudge coffee, then adding maple syrup and aging it in oak bourbon barrels, we’ve created a bold new take on our barrel-aged classic – one that could only have originated in Michigan. 11% ABV.

KBS Mackinac Maple Fudge will make its debut in November 2020. It will be available in 4-packs of 12oz bottles and on draft. The taproom release date will be announced closer to the release.

Source: https://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2020/new-beer-release-kbs-variant-2/

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (7,694) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,449) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm in! :yum:

Blogjackets and GreenBayBA like this.
  4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,454) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

5. Specialmick

Specialmick Initiate (104) Aug 26, 2019 Connecticut

Can't wait for some reason...I know. It's hot a it gets around here I can't wait for the taste of peach and chocolate sound awesome. I am drinking a founders breakfast stout as we speak and its so freakin good as usual...I CAN DRINK THESE ANYTIME OF YEAR

Blogjackets, GreenBayBA and ChicagoJ like this.
  6. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,867) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Ummmm. Yes.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  7. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,384) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

This sounds really good as I love fudge!

Want to hit Founders, Bell's and possibly Old Nation before the year is out. November sounds like it may work. Also holding out hope Bell's is able to host some form of All Stouts Day.

Thanks for posting these @drunkenmess ! I registered for this based on a previous release you posted.

8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I'll pass on this one!

LarryV and steveh like this.
  9. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,343) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I was thinking the next variant should be chocolate. In a way, I was right. This might be better called chocolate diabetes.

PapaGoose03 and GreenBayBA like this.
  10. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I figured more variants were only a matter on time. This one has potential; maple and fudge can be done well in a stout without being cloying. I hope it isn't pastry stout sweet

11. SFNC

SFNC Zealot (520) Apr 7, 2013 North Carolina

My memories of Mackinac Island involve getting off the ferry and smelling a mixture of fudge and horse shit. Hopefully Founders does not go for the 100% Mackinac experience! I'll try one wen it comes out.

12. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,712) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Ehh, maybe, maybe not. This is Founders and they are quite capable of pulling this one off as a 5.0 beer. We'll see. I'm in.

13. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (349) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Coffee was the best version of KBS I've had. I'll try this.

arizcards, ChicagoJ and traction like this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,454) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I'm not saying they arent capable. Founders seems to be leaning towards doing what everyone else is doing. It sounds like a BBB variant. Hopefully it's not infected like so many BBB variants.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  15. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (642) Mar 28, 2009 California

Maple anything is pretty much a must buy for me. Even though many maple beers are disappointing but there are also some that are amazing!

Definitely give this a try. With KBS as a base can’t really be a bad beer.

16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I cannot access link, is this going to see distro to their normal accounts across country or is it limited to brewery or such, thanks! Sounds tasty
    Cheers

17. PapaGoose03

Society

It doesn't say. Just says more info to come on social media as we closer to the release date.

Junior and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  18. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

OK, thank you for the info. Appreciated :beers::beers:

Junior and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (217) Nov 8, 2009 New York

I love chocolate and maple but after trying the latest Curmudgeons Better Half, I fear this is going to fall victim to being to sweet as well.

Don’t mean to thread jack but
    I never got to try the original versions of Better Half when it was last brewed and bottled (I think) ten or so years ago but has anyone had both iterations of it and was the latest to hit shelves much sweeter than in years past?

#19 BruChef, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Junior and ChicagoJ like this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Mmmm hope I get a chance to try this.

21. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,395) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

This is a great post, we always joke about the time we went to mackinac island and all we ever say is, “ horse shit & fudge”.

FBarber, Junior and ChicagoJ like this.
  22. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (244) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Shut up and take my money!!!

23. RBlaszak

RBlaszak Initiate (122) Jul 6, 2009 Michigan

Back when it was “Kaiser Curmudgeon”, it was my favorite beer of all time.
    It’s definitely a sweet beer and always has been — whether it is too cloying or not may depend on how you feel about maple.

24. waltari

waltari Initiate (75) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Only 11% ABV though? That's Dragon Milk territory

drunkenmess and ChicagoJ like this.
  25. GetMeAnIPA

to me if I see maple and fudge that means sweet. I have a sweet tooth and it’s gotta be super sweet to be too much for me. I would expect a sweet beer with flavors such as “fudge” and maple.

MaltheadWeirdo, ChicagoJ and BruChef like this.
  26. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (217) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Nowadays, with the rise of the pastry stout, it’s easy to agree with what you are saying. I feel like brewers could pull this type of beer off years ago with out making it too sweet. I too have a sweet tooth but, Much like the hops arms race 10-15 years ago, I feel like there is a pastry version and those beers are just entirely to sweet for me to enjoy more than a few ounces. Southern Tier’s Blackwater Series beers were just about at the threshold of cloying but those beers are practically dry compared to what a lot of breweries are putting out today.

27. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (581) May 30, 2013 Ohio

Wow.... Chocolate? Coffee? Bourbon? Maple?
    Imagine if they brewed something similar last year and said "We wont brew it again for the foreseeable future" #Crafty

DISKORD, Phoodcritic, desint and 10 others like this.
  28. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (299) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm down. Espresso was delicious and I liked it more than the regular so I have high hopes for this as well.

29. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (230) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

In. Hope it makes it to Cleveland.

Blogjackets likes this.
  30. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (334) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I really enoyed the espresso variant. Still tough for me to drop $25.00 on 4 x 12 oz bottles. Its a vacation or special occasion purchase for me.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (7,694) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Wouldn't it have been easier to start with CBS since it already has maple, and is arguably a better beer? Perhaps they have some CBS variants in mind too?

ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  32. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Aren't CBS and KBS the same base beer in different barrels?

CBS was born when we stumbled upon some bourbon barrels that had previously housed maple syrup. We opted to put the same base beer as KBS, an imperialized version of Breakfast Stout, in the maple barrels and, after one taste, we knew we had something special. Rich maple syrup, roasted coffee and velvety chocolate meld together in what can only be described as a transcendental drinking experience.

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/cbs/

33. PapaGoose03

Society

I think the maple in CBS comes strictly from the bourbon barrels which had previously contained maple syrup. The direct addition of maple syrup in this KBS could provide a different character, but that will be dependent on how/when the brewer adds it in the making of the beer.

Also, the Mackinac Island Fudge-flavored coffee in this KBS variant likely will provide a specific chocolate flavor that's not in CBS, so I think we'll have a unique beer.

But who knows!? I'm looking forward to its release to find out.

34. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,801) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I want to like maple syrup in beer, but KBS>>CBS and Backwoods>>Better Half. Just not my cup of tea.

I'll try a single and leave the rest for you folks while I patiently await the return of espresso KBS or Underground Mountain Brown. Enjoy!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  35. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,801) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

This should have more robust bourbon notes as well since the barrels will be second rather than third use.

#35 DIM, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    PapaGoose03 likes this.
  36. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Aspirant (251) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t try a Founders bourbon barrel aged stout of any variety. Hail the Mighty Kosmicki!

37. GetMeAnIPA

yeah, it does seem like palates and the market has shifted to brewing beers much sweeter than before. There is a fine balance between getting that maple character but not making it cloying sweet.

Drink your desert!

ChicagoJ, PapaGoose03 and BruChef like this.
  38. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (813) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think you can group horse shit in the flavor profile of “barnyard”.

not a kbs fan, but I’ll pick this up if I see this. Not sure if it is because it sounds good or if it stirs memories of Mackinac Island that are a replacement for the summer travel plans hampered by covid-19.

Queue mispronounciation of the Mackinac.

ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  39. PapaGoose03

Society

You pronounced it right (spelling :rolling_eyes:) so we Michiganders will give you that. :stuck_out_tongue: 'Mispronunciation' however needs a little work with its 'spelling'. :grin:

drunkenmess likes this.
  40. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (241) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Count me in for a 4 pack- I hope to see it in Massachusetts.

Blogjackets likes this.