Founders to release Oktoberfest

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by johnnybgood1999, Jun 16, 2020.

1. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (349) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

https://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2020/new-beer-release-oktoberfest-2/

For the seventh time we’ve brewed a beer to benefit ArtPrize, an art competition hosted in our hometown of Grand Rapids, MI. Unfortunately, ArtPrize was cancelled this year but that doesn’t meant we cancelled our contribution to the event. We’re taking a taproom exclusive from our Mothership Series and making it available for the first time nationwide. Slap on your lederhosen and get your dirndl pressed because it’s time for…

OKTOBERFEST!

Blink and you’ll think you’re in Bavaria. We went all in on tradition with our Oktoberfest, using imported German malts and hops with a beautiful lager yeast for the finish. This beer pours a gorgeous copper hue with a rich, malty and slightly sweet backbone. Our version is akin to the beer poured in the early days of Oktoberfest and, yes, it adheres to Reinheitsgebot for all you purists out there. Prost! 6.0% ABV.

Oktoberfest will be available in 6-pack and 15-pack cans and on draft as early as this August.

###

2. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,156) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Nice

AlcahueteJ and ChicagoJ like this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Well this is good to see. I will be snagging some when it lands, awesome to see them makes this.
    Cheers

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,654) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

What, no BreakfastFest?

Sorry, that was snarky -- definitely keeping an eye out for this.

5. Judgie

Judgie Initiate (198) Nov 21, 2012 Indiana

I will happily drink an Oktoberfest in August. It will need to be colder than technically correct, but I will compensate by grilling the brats like hot dogs.

GetMeAnIPA, Whyteboar and ChicagoJ like this.
  6. steveh

Society

Grilling the brats like hot dogs? Explain please. That's pretty much how I grill them. :-)

7. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

LOL same.
    Now I have a complex that I have been doing it wrong :grimacing:

I do know some folks like to cook them in a pan with onions and other stuff. Maybe this?

8. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (504) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Seriously!?
    Personally I would have preferred a pale weisn style Oktoberfest. A quality beer in that style would stand out.

9. johnnybgood1999

I can't wait for August. Just not a lot of Summer beers that I crave. Not a huge IPA guy and the sour craze doesn't make much sense to me. Bring on the Oktoberfests, pumpkins, and browns.

Whyteboar and DCH like this.
  10. steveh

Society

Wiesn. :grin:

Here we go! I'm starting early this year! :laughing:

11. johnnybgood1999

I like the pale styles more myself. Sierra Nevada got me hooked on those a couple years ago. I had drank just Marzen style Oktoberfest before that. Now I seek out Paulaner's Wiesn and drink more of it than other options. A pale would certainly stand out more, as Paulaner is the only pale option I can usually find and typically in short supply.

Junior, ChicagoJ and officerbill like this.
  12. steveh

Society

There's the whole simmering fresh brats in butter and onions beforehand that I've done in the past, but mostly I just drop those babies right on the grill.

13. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Same here. I tried them a few times via the pan route (no grill) and enjoy them more on the Weber. Love that smokey hit from the charcoal and all.

14. steveh

Society

Oh, I always grill 'em up even if I pre-simmer them. Just not right without a little char! :-D

I've seen people drop them back in the summer pan after grilling, but that just makes 'em too soggy for me.

15. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,318) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Since we are devolving into talking about brats, I learned this technique from the Weber grill book and better with buying raw brats. Grill/sear the brats first with higher heat (like 10 minutes, flipping halfway through) and then put them in an aluminum foil pan (still on the grill) with beer, onions, kraut, and apples. Let them cook in there on lower heat for like 25 minutes or so. Then you end up with the grill marks and nicely seared, but since you do that first, you retain all the beer juiciness and such from it sitting in the solution afterward. Basically the opposite of the old way of marinating first and then grilling.

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Ever tried them on, say, a George Foreman grill or something similar? I had doubts but I was most pleasantly surprised.

17. steveh

Society

I bet they are good, but I stick to summer or fall grilling for my brats.

AlcahueteJ, Judgie and Bitterbill like this.
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I gotta grab me some. The last Independent grocery store in Casper has some beer brats that are calling my name. :wink:

steveh likes this.
  19. waltari

waltari Initiate (75) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

As long as we get the 15pk I am all for it.

20. steveh

Society

Back to Founders, has anyone had the taproom exclusive this Okto is based on?

21. DCH

DCH Aspirant (239) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Excited for this release, with my brats boiled preferably :wink:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Savant (989) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Breakfast Stout with pumpkin baby food purée added? Maybe have the baby have a jack o lantern as a head on the label.

We are on to something...

AlcahueteJ and officerbill like this.
  23. steveh

Society

I was thinking of something more Oktoberfest-like and a lot less pumpkin-like.

(Honestly, I was really thinking I hope this will be a good Okto and not gimmicky)

AlcahueteJ and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  24. steveh

Society

Should never boil brats, just simmer -- and always finish on the grill -- we're not talking Weisswurst here. ;-)

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ and DCH like this.
  25. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (112) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

Try sticking some holes in the brats with a fork before putting them in with the beer next time. It will infuse a little more beer flavor into them.

AlcahueteJ, bsp77 and Judgie like this.
  26. Judgie

Judgie Initiate (198) Nov 21, 2012 Indiana

Pretty much like this:

Brats need TLC, and the beer soak keeps them juicy & tender all day. Hot dogs just get charred, eaten, & belched. IMO.

27. steveh

Society

I treat all my grilled food with TLC. ;-)

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. steveh

Society

It will also let all the good brat flavor to escape!

29. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (334) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

15 packs of oktoberfest at the 15 pack price point sounds wonderful. Is 2020 about to take a turn positive?!

30. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (258) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

This is awesome news, can't wait to try this one when it comes out.

31. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (83) Dec 5, 2019 New York

Apart from their (un)pilsner, has Founders ever released a lager? I don't see them inherently producing a good one,but let's find out in July

32. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (487) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

You’re not gonna find a bigger fan of tubed meats on this board than myself...

Loving all the care everyone seems to be putting into their tube meat prep.

33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,366) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

They seem to have been moving a fair amount of their Solid Gold, but I can't say I've ever tried it. That and their pilsner are the only large scale lagers they've made as far as I know

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  34. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (258) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I trust founders to make this one good, their description of it would support that. To be fair @beerwego their pilsner is not marketed as a traditional pils, they're very open about what is in it on their site as well is it not being german, czech, etc.: american hopped pilser hopped with Chinook, Centennial, Cascade and Crystal.

I will start with a six and if its good i'll go the 15 pack route.

35. DCH

DCH Aspirant (239) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Mmmmmm... Weisswurst....

I used to grill my brats all the time and I'll admit that it is a much different taste - even simmered them in beer beforehand on many occasions, and it did come out pretty good. Personally, I just like the taste of them boiled in water, consumed with a cold liter of schwarzbier on the side... not very exciting, but it's just my preference (I guess that's just what it BOILS down to?:weary:).

36. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,005) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, not around these parts. Give me a simmered (not boiled!) Sabrett or Boar's Head Natural Casing All-Beef hot dog, with yellow mustard on a nice Martin's Long potato roll. (Some chili on a rare occasion.)

Sure, once in awhile I'll grab a charred dog off a grill or giddle, just for a change (and not to let the thing go to waste). If I lived further north in Jersey, I suspect I'd be a more consistent purchaser of that region's deep-fried dogs...

37. steveh

Society

To the Founders new Okto, I'll add my prediction now, in June: this beer will probably be another Ami Okto; semi-sweet and caramelly. Why? Because, as has often been experienced, that's how Americans think Okto should taste. Just me, but we'll see.

SunDevilBeer and ChicagoJ like this.
  38. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,318) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I have noticed that a lot of the newer ones (last 2-4 years) have not had that problem as often, and many have actually gone the more golden Festbier route. At least here in MN.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. steveh

Society

Understood, and those are still a little lacking compared with Bavarian examples, but I'm basing my prediction of Founder's new beer on the description they're giving.

ChicagoJ and bsp77 like this.
  40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Un Pilsner as in PC Pils or have you tried the Solid Gold lager? It was good

ChicagoJ likes this.