Founders Ultimate Oktoberfest BBA Marzen

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Aug 13, 2022.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (429) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had no idea that this beer existed and is now out near me, can't wait to try it!

Roll out the barrel…the bourbon barrel, that is! We’re taking the classic German-style Marzen and kicking it up a notch by adding the smooth, rich flavors that only nine months in a bourbon barrel can provide! Get out your Lederhosen and prepare for an intense wave of Bavaria Hysteria – Ultimate Oktoberfest is here!

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/ultimate-oktoberfest/

2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,572) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Saw this the other day. "Ultimate?" My ultimate Oktoberest Märzen would taste just like the original from way back -- not some added bourbon flavor and boozy ABV.

Yeah, I passed.

3. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (515) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Some things you just don't do.

4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,941) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Believe it or not I’ll actually snag a couple singles if I see them.

I had Sam Adams’ barrel-aged Oktoberfest last year at the tap room. Just one or two 4 oz samples, but it was interesting for what it was.

I went in not judging it as an Oktoberfest, so I tampered my expectations. I don’t recall the bourbon character being overwhelming and up front like you get with a Bourbon County for example.

5. steveh

Society

I'd do this too, except for the label they tagged it with -- and all the marketing pap they're spewing. :rolling_eyes:

Many years ago, my favorite regional brewer, Kirby Nelson at Capital, came up with a cross between Oktoberfest and Bock (maybe Doppelbock) and called it Autumnal Fire.

Now, I'm not sure where the whole "cross" concept came from, but it was a big, malty lager that was delicious and the color of an Amber Märzen. It was probably a Doppelbock if you pigeon-holed it, but it was a touch sweeter and maybe not as dry.

Thing is, he didn't use anything but barley malt, hops, water and yeast -- and he didn't try to sell it as some innovative Oktoberest, just a good beer.

Brew me just such a beer and I'll buy it every year.

#5 steveh, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  6. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,606) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Right up my alley. More than a few four packs are fridge bound in this house. Super excited for this.

7. steveh

Society

All sarcastic pessimism aside, did you try it? If so, what are your impressions?

Bitterbill, arizcards and Whyteboar like this.
  8. DCH

DCH Disciple (304) Jun 12, 2013 New York

I saw this on shelves recently and I was really confused. I’ve never seen a barrel aged Oktoberfest. Maybe it tastes good, I just can’t justify paying the cost of a 4 pack of this and passing on a 12 of paulaner or hacker pschorr for maybe a few dollars more. Plus it’s gonna be trouble filling up a liter stein with a 10% abv barrel aged beer.

9. steveh

Society

I understand this dilemma myself, especially when it comes to locals pricing their Festbier at $18 a 4-pack (same price a local retailer had on Paulaner Fest 12s), but if it's an outstanding beer -- I might think twice. My trouble here is that I don't think Founder's regular Okto is all that good.
    But that's *ultimate*! :wink:

10. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (686) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

If I saw it at TW, would buy in a heartbeat. They had a barrel aged malt liquor, ppl, and it kinda sorta worked.

11. DCH

Drinking Oktoberfest beer out of a snifter is never something I’d imagine myself doing.

arizcards, MikeWard, Scrapss and 2 others like this.
  12. steveh

Society

:grin: -- No, but hard core drinkers would toss back a Maß of 10% beer!

13. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,221) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Slacker! Lightweight!

All kidding aside, I agree with you, but I'm curious to try it as well.

14. ESHBG

I got a single and it's chilling now, will be drinking it later and will post my thoughts in NBW so be on the lookout.

DKML is still one of my favorites from them and would love to see it, or something like it, return.

15. BigIronH

Society Trader

I’ll have to try it to see how it tows the “traditional” line. But, being a fan of the spicy, sweet, “American” style Oktoberfest, I’m sure this will please me. I wonder how close this beer is to Founders “Oktoberfest”. A side by side may be in order.

16. steveh

Society

Just a semi-educated prediction? Not at all. :wink:

As to "traditional?" Out the window. Barrel aged and 10% cinches that fast.

17. BigIronH

Society Trader

Understood. We’ve had this discussion before. I tend to like beers from both the traditional and American ends of the spectrum.

18. ESHBG

Excellent stuff, would gladly drink again:

New Beer Weekend #108

19. DCH

Liters of doppelbocks wouldn’t bother me:beer:

20. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,359) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

DKML was aweosme.

This, I’ll pass on. Not EVERYTHING needs to be barrel aged.

Whyteboar and crazyspicychef like this.
  21. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,822) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Saw this at the store. Didn’t get it then but I probably will. At least a single. I really enjoy bourbon barrel aged beers and am curious to see how this is. Price for a four pack is not out of line considering it’s a 10% bourbon barrel aged beer. $15.99 locally. Pretty in line with the other Founders barrel aged 4 packs.

arizcards, Whyteboar and ESHBG like this.
  22. DrStiffington

Society

Nothing NEEDS to be barrel aged.

arizcards, crazyspicychef and ESHBG like this.
  23. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (427) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

No, just, NO!
    Why?
    Totally unnecessary.
    Way to ruin a great style of beer.
    Just put a shot of whiskey in a Paulaner, same effect, but at least you'll be starting with a great beer.
    Barrel aged seltzers are not far away.
    What has this whole beer scene come to?
    I'll be sticking to the traditional German beers for this year's celebration thank you very much.
    Probably Victory Festbier as well, unless they stopped brewing that too? That was pretty solid.

Providence, arizcards and DCH like this.
  24. steveh

Society

On the night before Frühlingsfest opened I stopped in at the Augustiner Keller. I asked the Ober if they had Maibock.

"No, but we have Starkbier (Doppelbock)."
    "Oh, okay I'll have one of those -- but only a half liter... because it's Starkbier."

Silly me. It was so damn good, I sheepishly asked for a second half liter.

Of course, we're not talking 10%, and my hotel was 3 blocks away. :grin:

25. steveh

Society

But *bourbon* and Märzen really aren't two characters that go together -- traditionally speaking.

I guess if you're George Patton overrunning Bavaria and just being George Patton, a shot & a beer is about right. :wink:

26. steveh

Society

I understand, but aren't there other BB beers that just work better than a style that's supposed to be smooth and elegant -- easy drinking and not head banging?

Whyteboar, Rug and BigIronH like this.
  27. ESHBG

Ha ha! I just view it as simply as malty + malty works well together. Could I do a Marzen and a shot of Bourbon? Definitely, so this fits for me.

This beer is subtle and I'm surprised at how subdued it is for the ABV. Give it a try, would love to hear your thoughts.

Whyteboar, JackHorzempa and BigIronH like this.
  28. zac16125

Society Trader

Bourbon does, by definition.

29. DCH

Similar thing happened to me. I went in to a Hofbrau and got a few Weltenberger Kloster Asam Bocks. That one really snuck up on me, roasty and chocolaty goodness going down, standing up after a few proved to be a challenge:beers:

Whyteboar likes this.
  30. MikefromDormont

MikefromDormont Initiate (104) Dec 11, 2004 Pennsylvania

I used to travel to Akron Ohio to visit a friend and while there I'd check out the beers that I could not get in PA. Back around 2002 - 2003, Capital beers were available and I purchased a variety pack as well as a six pack of Autumnal Fire. Really enjoyed that beer as well as the other Capital beers. Never saw them again after that time.

Whyteboar likes this.
  31. DrStiffington

Society

You seem to be contradicting yourself here.

jonphisher and BigIronH like this.
  32. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,992) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Likewise, I thought it was quite fun, if not a bit strange

AlcahueteJ and BigIronH like this.
  33. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,992) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

If you do a side-by-side tag me in the thread, you know your Founders so I'm sure it would be an interesting take

AlcahueteJ and BigIronH like this.
  34. zac16125

Society Trader

***insert confused face gif***

Cubatobaco and jonphisher like this.
  35. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,615) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

:confused:

zac16125 likes this.
  36. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,398) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

I totally understand. My idea of an Oktoberfest beer is an all day drinker that just barely pushes 6%.
    However, I couldn't ignore the opportunity to encourage experimentation. And at Founders' distribution level this is way past an experiment. Tasting later today on the lanai with notes.

37. KT3418

KT3418 Meyvn (1,459) Mar 18, 2021 Colorado

1000% will try if i find it that said I have no idea if it will be good or one of those things that makes you go "why?"

arizcards likes this.
  38. budsNpils

budsNpils Aspirant (271) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Trader

No thanks.

Just a BA strong lager to me. There's nothing Oktoberfest about bourbon and a 10% abv. Just my opinion.

39. steveh

Society

$15 a 4-pack of 12 ouncers (just checked the Binny's website), you guys have bigger budgets than me. :grin:

arizcards and GrumpyGas like this.
  40. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,398) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thanks for the reminder.:astonished:
    But is that really that much? The math for my consumption has flipped to quality over quantity and a $3.75 beer is no issue.

Hoppedelic, ESHBG and steveh like this.