Fox Farm (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by Kozaka, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (617) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

No comments since 2018?

First, some general info from their website

TASTING ROOM

We really like your tasting room! Can we book it for a private event?

Unfortunately, no. With our current permitting we’re unable to accommodate private events. Additionally, we do not reserve space during our regular business hours. If you're planning to visit in a large group, we recommend coming by before 3PM.

Are you dog friendly?

We certainly love dogs but state health regulations require that you leave yours outside (where we have additional seating) and we kindly ask that you leave your dog on a leash.

Can we bring our kids along?

Absolutely! We’re a family-friendly brewery but please do not leave your kids unattended, especially outdoors.

Do you fill other breweries’ growlers?

We sure do! As long as the growler is reasonably clean and fits under our taps. Dark glass is highly preferred.

Do you offer flights?

Not quite. It’s our feeling that most beer styles are best enjoyed in volumes a little larger than what you typically find in a flight. We’ve chosen to offer individually sold half pours (~7 oz.) and full pours (~13 oz.) for all of our beers.

Do you sell any food?

We don’t have any food available but folks are welcome to bring light snacks to enjoy on-site. We just ask that you be respectful of our limited seating and kindly clean up after yourself.

Are there other alcoholic beverages available for sale?

Sorry, but no. We occasionally offer Ashlawn Farm Coffee Nitro Cold Brew but do not sell any wine or spirits. It’s worth noting that we can’t allow outside alcohol or opening of growlers purchased from our tasting room.

DISTRIBUTION

Where else can we find your beer?

We self-distribute within Connecticut but availability is a bit sporadic and limited. At the moment, some accounts with regular availability include:

We also send regular but small shipments to Massachusetts where you can find our beer at a number of great beer establishments.

Hours:

THURS-FRI: 2pm - 7pm
    SAT-SUN: 11am - 5pm

sulldaddy and Rysk22 like this.
  2. Kozaka

Society Trader

Cans this week:

Updated Wednesday, February 20 (8:29 PM) Tomorrow at opening we will have The Cottage Helles (10 pp), Little Brook American Blonde Ale (1o pp), Verdant India Pale (10 pp) and Graze India Pale Ale (16 pp) available in cans.

Is this all through mobile canning or did FF lay out some capital?

sulldaddy likes this.
  3. bootdown21

bootdown21 Disciple (362) May 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I think it's still mobile. I haven't heard of or seen anything about them buying a canning line. I could be wrong but I don't see this as a part of their model honestly. I think they prefer to keep things on a smaller scale.

4. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

They have a cask of Ashlawn on today with maple syrup. Worth the trip for this version alone.

5. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (151) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

One hundred percent. They don’t need to can any more beer than they have been. Fox Farm is perfect. Please don’t change. Lol

6. Kozaka

Society Trader

New lager today:

It’s with great excitement that we introduce Quiet Night, a Czech-Style Dark Lager. With a grist made up almost-entirely of Bohemian malted barley, it has a restrained (but very present) malt quality highlighted by a hint of raisin and the slightest impression of roast. Following primary fermentation it was lagered for over six weeks in one of our horizontal lager tanks. Soft and creamy but with that unmistakable, clean lager finish you’d expect - we’re thrilled to share this take on tmavé pivo.

Soft and creamy, that will confuse the haze bois.

7. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (367) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

I’ll hold out for the DDH version

Kozaka likes this.
  8. pbrian

pbrian Defender (682) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

These guys are awesome.

9. Kozaka

Society Trader

We have two new single-hop offerings hitting the tasting room this week - Roam: Strata and Wile.

Strata (formerly X-331) is a new hop out of Oregon that’s turning a lot of heads. We were blown away by our first encounters with the variety and were fortunate to land enough to give it the Roam treatment. Fresh orange, passion fruit and cannabis aromatics dominate this one - it’s truly one of the most rounded, expressive hops we’ve seen lately.

Wile is whirlpool and dry-hopped exclusively with the now-classic Citra. We were thrilled with our initial draft-only batch and are pleased to give this one the can treatment.

I had the first batch of Wile and thought it was fantastic. And I typically keep away from Citra.

10. pbrian

We're no longer friends.

DrinkingThe413 and Sheppard like this.
  11. Kozaka

Society Trader

Haha, I know, I’m the rare BA who struggles with Citra. But I did enjoy my can of Wile last night.

The new Roam is unique. I want to have another can or two before a review. Seems to be more of an earthy strawberry aroma but definitely got the MJ characteristics in the taste.

pbrian likes this.
  12. lbower860

I was there on Saturday and noticed the 2pp pour limit sign for the first time. Has this always been there? I ended up getting 4 full pours without any issues, but that would kind of suck if they really enforced this. Has anyone had any issues with this? for how out of the way it is seems like people should be able to have more than two pours if they want.

13. bootdown21

Trader

It has been there since day 1 and I personally have never seen it enforced. I have gotten over the limit on a few occasions without issue but this is out of the 20+ times I have gone.

14. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

During my first visit the bartender verbally told me there was a limit of 2pp or I could do four half pours if I wanted. Don’t recall seeing signage though.

15. epoole3

epoole3 Aspirant (210) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts

It’s always been there, but FF doesn’t require tickets or sharpie x’s on people’s hands to police drinkers.

16. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Aspirant (214) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Would have been a funny April fools troll against Tree House.

Someone at work brought me in a Wile and a Roam. I wanted to go with him Saturday but they close at 5 which made it not possible. I really wish they could open until at least 8 on Saturday of all days

17. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (159) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

You could always go to a later AA meeting on Sat. evening.

18. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (4,702) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Said the same to me last time I was there which was when Copestone came out. Might depend on how busy it is and the ability to keep track.

19. TreeHouse_Erection

Not wanting to drink before 5 is the opposite of needing an AA meeting :sunglasses:

20. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Initiate (186) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

The signage is right behind the bar regarding the 2pp limit on pours. Always has been.

21. lbower860

Do people find that they actually enforce this though

22. pbrian

2 pp pours might be a "rule" for insurance/liability reasons.

Insurance co: "So, what policies do you have in place to prevent over serving your patrons"?
    FF: "All our servers are TIPS certified and we have a 2 pour pp limit. See the sign?"
    Insurance co: "Oh, that's great."
    moves on to next question

sulldaddy likes this.
  23. CTHopman

You forgot...Insurance Co Rep then orders 4 drafts!

pbrian likes this.
  24. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

This is actually exactly it. Coming from a guy who works for an insurance company who insurers bars and breweries. That “rule” and signage could be the difference between having a large insurance company as your carrier or having to go to some speciality market and likely paying a lot more money. Insurance companies want to insure “breweries” but they’re not as crazy about insuring “bars.” There is a distinction and the 2pp limit certainly helps create the perception that it’s truly a brewery and not just a bar.

25. DrinkingThe413

DrinkingThe413 Initiate (46) Jan 29, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Who doesn't drink before 5pm on Saturdays??

26. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (298) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Went last Friday (3/29) and thought the Roam Strata was unique and well-crafted but not an instant favorite, sorta like the way Nelson stands out for me in some beers. The Wile Citra on the other hand was quite wonderful.

27. pbrian

Yeah, I'm also having a hard time trying to adapt to some of these new hop varieties.

28. Grimpus

Grimpus Initiate (37) May 28, 2017 Connecticut

A coworker of mine asked them about the 2pp limit and the bartender said the reason for it was to have faster customer turnover to improve the parking situation. They have a small lot and if they let people sit around all day drinking then other customers wouldn't be able to find parking spots.

Now I'm not sure if that's the main driver of having the 2pp limit, but apparently that's what they're telling people.

29. j-rad

j-rad Initiate (26) Dec 27, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Anyone have the scoop on what fruit the next Avalonia bottle will be?

30. TreeHouse_Erection

What are the crowds like on Saturdays? I'm guessing it will be pretty packed if the weather is nice but how has it been lately?

Do they ever have food trucks?

31. CTHopman

No food trucks but hit 2 Brothers Pizza which is a 2 minute drive. Superb tap list (have at least one FF dedicated tap) and great food. They are closed on Sunday. The owner, Nik, is a beer geek, childhood friend of mine and a great dude.

32. TreeHouse_Erection

Thanks, hoping to go with a friend for our first time.

33. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (37) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Plum Tomato is pretty great, and is right there at the four corners too, in case one pizza place recommendation wasn't enough.

34. bootdown21

Trader

Also Salem Prime Cuts if your into to go grinder options.

35. GeoffreyWolken

GeoffreyWolken Initiate (41) Jul 22, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

How crazy do the bottle releases get? Will they last until the weekend and will there be a line at open tomorrow?

36. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (84) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Had the Votive No. 1 at Stoutfest and, in my humble opinion, it was absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite BA stout I've had this year.

Also, in the spirit of VIBES, I'd take a day at Fox Farm over a week at any other brewery in New England or NY (though I've never been to Hill Farmstead).

epoole3 likes this.
  37. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (117) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Was the barrel character better than last batch of witch meadow? Had high hopes for the witch but it tasted like straight hairspray.

Also, any ideas when that port barrel copestone is being released?

#37 jamshard2mash, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  38. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (84) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Yes. Definitely way better. The barrel notes were probably my favorite aspect of the beer. Complex but still subtle enough to enjoy the base. Loved the melding of the maple syrup, Port + bourbon barrels with the port coming through a bit more prominently on the finish for me. Felt like Mr Holland's Opus was orchestrating in my mouth.

Was not a huge fan of that batch of Witch Meadow either. Really abrasive sip for me. Comparing it to Votive No. 1 in terms of enjoyability + drinkability is night and day.

#38 mountaindewORcrabjuice, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    jamshard2mash likes this.
  39. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,707) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Most bottle releases have lasted several days. I havent been at open but dont think they usually have a line.
    "Fox Farm, the way brewery visits should be."

Kozaka, PicoPapa and Rysk22 like this.
  40. Kozaka

Society Trader

Bière de Garde is lovely. Damn ugly, though.

Gather is back next week.

jonphisher and epoole3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.