Fox Farm Brewery, CT (2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by mjco04, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetCraft

GetCraft Initiate (65) Jan 8, 2014 Massachusetts

Pouring:

Roam Citra & Mosaic APA
    Roam Galaxy APA
    Burst IPA
    Near & Far DIPA
    Freckled Fields Farmhouse Ale
    Gather Keller Pils
    Hearthbound Robust Porter

Robtobfest likes this.
  2. CTJman

CTJman Champion (836) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

i went back again and got a few more growlers on Saturday. For science i got the same beer and will be opening it at the end of the week to see. The ones I opened on Sunday (the next day) were all great.

Robtobfest likes this.
  3. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (76) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut

the beer tastes fantastic, I was disappointed that after opening 4 growlers back to back, I did not have a buzz.

4. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (159) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Just opening the growlers won't do it. You actually need to drink them.

epoole3, Sheppard, sulldaddy and 6 others like this.
  5. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

That saison was mighty tasty; not the best CT-brewed example I've had (Kent Falls' Field Beers currently have that honor), but it was up there, and it showed that their future farmhouse endeavors will be special.

The new IPA (Alta?) was also super impressive: rich and juicy, but the flavors never got tiring. I brought a growler to a gathering with friends yesterday and uh...I "accidentally" drank the whole liter of it myself. Oh well, there was plenty of Roam:Amarillo to go around.

HankSchrader and GetCraft like this.
  6. Phineasco

Phineasco Champion (828) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Fox farm has been in tap around Boston. Freckled fields was a great tart saison, and burst was a great dank ipa, reminded me of a Grimm IPA. I'm very impressed with this brewery.

GetCraft likes this.
  7. HankSchrader

HankSchrader Initiate (42) Dec 20, 2016 Connecticut

I couldn't get enough of Alta and think it's their best hoppy offering to date. Soft mouth feel, great aroma, juicy and flavorful yet not totally lacking bitterness like some of the NEIPAs. I definitely would have purchased more than just a 1L had I tried it at the tap room beforehand.

FYI - I was told they are currently bottle conditioning Freckled Fields so we should be able to take some home with us at some point. I'm anxiously awaiting FF being able to put out more farmhouse/sour styles.

Onemoresolo likes this.
  8. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,224) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Sounds like good reports about Alta. Have the crowds tamed down to reasonable onsite on the weekends yet?

9. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (85) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut

Idk I went around 4 on Sunday. No wait for a pour and the fills were quick.

Roam with Amarillo is excellent. I'll take that over mana mana and lights on. And that's saying something.

Alta was also very good.

I'll be back for sure.

Prices are very good too. Especially for pours.

Robtobfest and CTHopman like this.
  10. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (99) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Had Burst IPA at BranchLine last night, very tasty IPA
    Juicy enough that I even thought that it had actual fruit added

11. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

I've been to this place a few times and it's definitely worth the visit. I agree with everyone's love of Alta and if you like sours it is worth going to the brewery to have the Freckled Fields, which is only on draft at the brewery (and some bars?) for now.

12. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (170) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Had Alta at Eli Cannon's today, it was awesome. I can't wait to get to the brewery soon!

13. colby600

colby600 Devotee (400) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I've been twice in the last three weeks and haven't been disappointed with any of their offerings. Alta, Roam w/c&m and Freckled Fields were my favorites. Super friendly people running that brewery.

14. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (76) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut

damn. i was going to ignore this advice, but i did that when i was told i needed to let go of the bowling ball next time. I learned from that mistake, and i will take your advice, game changer.

CTHopman likes this.
  15. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (325) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Looks like 2 new beers today!

KentFalls collab Tart Saison on local st croix grapes

DDH Daylilly DIPA-Galaxy Simcoe Mosaic

16. PenningtonNY10

Do they ever have food trucks? Or can you bring your own?

17. HankSchrader

HankSchrader Initiate (42) Dec 20, 2016 Connecticut

Haven't seen food trucks, but you can bring your own. Plum Tomato is down the street if you are looking for a local option.

Genuine, BababooeyHTJ and Robtobfest like this.
  18. CTHopman

Also Two Brothers Pizza. Killer 'za and grinders. Taplist is small (12) but selection is solid. Always have 2 lines dedicated to FF as well.

Robtobfest likes this.
  19. PenningtonNY10

Thanks guys! May be finally going in a few weekends so food will be needed.

Robtobfest likes this.
  20. Jsukys

Jsukys Initiate (64) Apr 18, 2015 Massachusetts

Just cracked a 2L growler of two week old Alta. Tasting amazing. These guys know what's up

Robtobfest likes this.
  21. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (586) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Really enjoyed my visit this afternoon! Great weather day at their patio tables, no wait for growlers, and their staff was among the friendliest I've encountered. My favorite part was they had a fantastic porter for my hop-hating wife to have. Who am I kidding, I hit her glass a few times because their porter is fantastic.

Anyway, left with a 2L of Alta and 1L Daylily DIPA. Will definitely be back.

smutty33 and Robtobfest like this.
  22. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (451) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I really gotta make my way down there this Friday. I'm all over 40 minutes away and I had their Roam Nelson Sauvin at Willibrew and was completely blown away. Can't wait to pay a visit.

Robtobfest likes this.
  23. Robtobfest

The Roam Motueka is just as good!

jaxon53 likes this.
  24. Vicirus

Vicirus Disciple (336) Oct 8, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm thinking about making my first trip down to FF tomorrow, and wanted to verify a few things:

1. Are they still filling any size growler and just price adjusting? I mostly have 32 and 64oz growlers.
    2. Does anyone know what limits are? X liters per person? Or does it vary based on the beer/availability?
    3. Is there seating for eating food purchased off-site, and is that still permitted?
    4. Any recommendations for picking up food nearby? Plum Tomato and Two Brothers sound solid, although the latter is closed on Sunday.
    5. Any idea what to expect on a Sunday, around noon? This is a detour on our way to NYC, so hoping to pick up lunch and eat there while growlers get filled.

Any feedback is appreciated.

25. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

1. Yes. They fill everything, even 750mL growlers ($1 less than 1L growlers)

2. CT's hard limit is 9L per person.

3. Yes. Just don't pop growlers or bottles, and clean up after yourself.

4. Dunno about actual food, but if the Salem Valley Ice Cream shop is open, go there!

5. Sundays are usually pretty mellow, not much waiting if any at all. You can get two full pours or four half-pours. It's a very family-friendly environment and an absolutely stunning property.

jaxon53 likes this.
  26. lfiorillo

lfiorillo Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Connecticut

I've been dying to get back to FF. I can't stop thinking about the Keller pils. One of the best CT beers I've had.

Robtobfest, Onemoresolo and Shyla987 like this.
  27. Robtobfest

The Gather Keller Pils is world class!!!

jaxon53 likes this.
  28. kennyo

kennyo Devotee (463) Jan 30, 2003 New York
    Trader

i stumbled across this brewery last friday, i was very impressed with their beers and tasting room

29. CTHopman

With all due respect, you don't exactly "stumble" on a brewery that is about 25 miles from any sort of civilization:thinking_face: That being said, the staff, brewery taproom and brew are mighty impressive.

BababooeyHTJ and hit728 like this.
  30. BababooeyHTJ

Oh, come on. Its literally right at the end of the "highway to nowhere".....

CTHopman likes this.
  31. JoeB51982

JoeB51982 Initiate (185) Jan 10, 2008 Rhode Island

I believe that they were questioning the misuse of the word "stumble"... Chances are that they intentionally went to a good up and coming brewery rather than driving down the road listening to CCR and saw the sign and decided to give it a shot. That being said, FF is a great spot and I love me some Creedence.

32. kennyo

kennyo Devotee (463) Jan 30, 2003 New York
    Trader

i "stumbled" upon it because i never heard of it and it showed up on Google maps when i was planning a brewery run. On another note, i was "directed" to a brewery with the worst beer ever.

33. JoeB51982

JoeB51982 Initiate (185) Jan 10, 2008 Rhode Island

By all means do tell us of this mystery brewery... I assume it was in Connecticut. I have been to some mediocre breweries there myself.

34. BababooeyHTJ

Stopped by Sunday after work. I think that allora may be the best beer that I've tried from fox farm. It was better than the standard fare alter ego that I picked up that Wednesday. Probably the best beer of the style that I've had outside of tree house.

I'm not going to lie I found the burst to be a step down compared to the last batch that i had.

Roam with nelson was very good as expected.

HankSchrader likes this.
  35. CTHopman

Blasphemy! The onslaught of TH fanboys is sure to follow:rofl:

Robtobfest likes this.
  36. pbrian

pbrian Defender (682) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I third that sentiment. We stopped by on Sat and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Beers were all excellent and nice to see not all beers were cloudy NEIPAs. The Pils was superb as were the porter and farmhouse ale. Got a growler of the pa;e ale because that's what wife liked best, I could have drunk gallons of the pils. Beautiful facility and grounds, well thought out operation with one line for pours and one line for growler fills, and super nice people running it. Thumbs up all around.

(and I hesitate to post this because I want Fox Farm all to myself...)

37. Robtobfest

If you have not tried the new batch of BURST you are doing yourself a dis service. Also the new batch of Verdant an d Freckled Feilds are amazing!!!....get some!!!!

#117 Robtobfest, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  38. BababooeyHTJ

Sipping on the new imperial stout ATM. I'm in love. Nice roast, it's thick and sweet. Right up my alley. This place does dark beers shockingly well.

HankSchrader and Robtobfest like this.
  39. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Fox Farm recently started releasing some bottles at the brewery. Anyone who is a fan of sours should check out Zyto, a Kvass inspired Saison. They still have a good amount left over from last weekend.

woodchipper likes this.
  40. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (958) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire
    Trader

Damnit, I wish I had seen this! I passed by last Sunday but didn't stop becuase their was nothing to interesting listed on their site!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.