Fox Farm Brewery, CT (2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by mjco04, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (617) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I complained about the can prices but kicking myself for passing on Gather. Stopped by yesterday for first visit in months and forgot how much I like this spicy Pils. Will not miss next run.

That shaded picnic area is a nice addition.

2. bootdown21

bootdown21 Disciple (362) May 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

More cans from Fox Farm this week.... I can get used to this.

Little Brook 6pp
    Burst 10pp

Kozaka likes this.
  3. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Shhh.

jaxon53, HankSchrader and CTHopman like this.
  4. bootdown21

Trader

Last release lasted the entire weekend into next Thursday at least. Hoping it stays chill...

BababooeyHTJ likes this.
  5. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Yeah it was surprisingly easy. I’m guessing over time it will be much more difficult.

6. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (159) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Unfortunately, this is close to blowing up.

7. Kozaka

Society Trader

The can FOMO on FB seems like you’re correct.

8. pbrian

pbrian Defender (682) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Guys, not sure what all they hype is about, the place sucks. Dirty filthy old barn, pretentious clowns running the place, infected poorly made beer. Do not go, it's horrible.

(ok, that's not going to work, is it)

9. bootdown21

Trader

Stopped by on my way home around 5:30... 1 person in line for cans and about 20 people or so just enjoying the Fox Farm life. So chill, it's hard to beat.

Oh and Little Brook is one of my all time favorite blonde ales.

smutty33 likes this.
  10. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (85) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut

These burst cans are fantastic. One of the best batches that I've had.

Stopped by around 1 today. It was a little busier than normal. I'm assuming due to the weather. Still, no wait and the same chill atmosphere.

CTHopman likes this.
  11. CTHopman

I only hope to keep it this way. The fact it is a bit off the beaten path bodes well but Tilted Barn used to be mellow until every neckbeard in New England began showing up (myself included).

12. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (151) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Stopped by today and got some little brook and burst cans. Burst in the can is one of the best ipas I’ve had in a really long time, little brook very mice as well. Hate to sound like a broken record, but these guys are awesome. Their beer is as good or better than any out there, and as a place to hang out it’s unrivaled in my opinion.

woodchipper likes this.
  13. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (37) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

On a Friday afternoon/evening, after the cans are gone, Tilted Barn is delightfully low key and relaxing.

Cans might eventually bring temporary crowds to sleepy Music Vale Rd, but I think at it's worst, Fox Farm will continue to be the quiet hangout it usually is after the traders are out of the way with their cans.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  14. Kozaka

Society Trader

Did cans sell out yesterday?

15. purephase

purephase Initiate (149) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

They were still selling them at close yesterday. Little Brook is a really enjoyable can beer.

16. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,224) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I was there yesterday also. Pour lines way too long. Left with both beers that were canned and yes they are excellent.
    This place needs more employees for pours on busy days. They're pretty efficient at it, but still can't handle the lines.

17. lbower860

Interesting. Ive been there several times (always Saturday) and have never waited more than a few minutes for a pour.

18. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (186) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Going this Sunday. Have never had any of their beer so I am pumped. Gonna be a warm, sunny day, gonna sit outside and drink what is apparently some of the best that CT has to offer.

smutty33 likes this.
  19. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,224) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

We showed up at about 3:15. Felt lucky to get a parking spot near the door quite frankly.
    When we left the pour line wrapped in a big "J" from the order point to out the side door (not the double front door). Probably 3 customers standing in line on the patio.

20. lbower860

Sounds like a great plan. They are awesome, enjoy!

21. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (742) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Enjoyed this past Saturday at the brewery with @seplo @purephase @HOP-E-DAYZ @PrimeBeer

Little Brook and Burst cans were tasting phenomenal.

Large growler of Roam - Citra and Ekuanot impressed as well.

Little Brook is my new favorite low abv. brew!

22. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (244) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Does Fox Farm fill any growler or just their own? Also, do they limit growler purchases? I am heading down tomorrow for the first time and given all the praise here, I am very much looking forward to it!

23. lbower860

They will fill any growler. There's a limit in CT on how much growler beer you can get, but its more than I've ever needed. Its like 6 or 8 liters or something?

24. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,268) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

I just did this a few weeks ago. The limit is 9 liters which, handily, happens to equal twelve of my Hill Farmstead, Foam, Deciduous, etc. 750ml swing-top growlers.

lbower860 likes this.
  25. HOP-E-DAYZ

HOP-E-DAYZ Initiate (100) May 11, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

While I haven’t had a fox farm beer I did not like. That being said..Little brook should be in everyone’s rotation this summer..perfect beer imo.
    Hearthbound might be the best porter I have tasted since HF Everett..
    Cheers!

26. Kozaka

Society Trader

Love all their product (well, I'm split on the Saisons) but dislike growlers. Tried capped and swing top but never got good shelf life on an unopened growler. Not looking long term, just 7-10 days. I may have to revisit with some new glass.

27. CTHopman

Their little 32 oz. HF style jugs have a decent shelf life. Just be sure to tighten immediately after they give you your fills.

Kozaka likes this.
  28. Kozaka

Society Trader

Allora (10) and Quiet Life (6) cans this week. Making the splurge this time. Hopefully one being a Pils will bring mellow vibes.

29. purephase

Trader

Quiet Life in cans is great news. I actually prefer it a fair bit over Gather.

I also like how they've been pairing low ABV non-IPAs with IPAs for these releases: Gather/Graze, Little Brook/Burst, and now Quiet Life/Allora. It's nice to be able to have a canned option outside of hops and it also may keep the place from becoming too crazy for too long.

30. Rub_This_BBQ

Rub_This_BBQ Devotee (459) Jul 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was able to hit last Thursday around 3 and grabbed cans of burst and little brook and a growler of gather, all were great beers...

Wish I could go this week for cans of Quiet life, if any goes would love to trade for a couple cans, Have burst left or palatine pils (can expand shoot me DM)

31. lbower860

Quiet Life is so good. Amazing Czech style pilsner. Bummed I wont be able to make it this weekend.

32. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (85) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut

I'm loving these fox farm cans. Allora is fantastic! The batch of burst that they canned is one of the best beers that I've ever had and allora isn't all that far behind.

I scoffed at the fox farm being better than fox farm comments. But I very well may prefer fox farms single ipas. With that style their second to none. Hearthbound is unmatched for what it is too.

Their doubles on the other hand I feel are a step down. I don't get the love for daylily and just cracked a growler of tangle. It's just good, not great like most of their offerings between 6-7% imo.

33. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (141) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

My friend just got 2 singles from a friend of his: 1 Allora 1 Quiet Life.

He split the can of Allora with me. Not being dramatic it's one of the worst NEIPAs I've tried, especially from such a hyped place. Flat as all hell and a bizarre aftertaste. I took 3 or 4 sips and poured the rest.

Cautiously optimistic on the pilsner, assuming I get to try it.

34. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (37) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Is it possible the friend gave it to a friend who gave it to you, all because it was stored in a washing machine outside on a hot day? Haven't tried it from cans, but have had Allora on draft at the brewery as well as at bars, and from growlers a few days after filled, and it's never been anything but delightful.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  35. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (170) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Weird about Allora. Something had to gone wrong there, because it's a fantastic beer on tap.

36. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (713) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Do cans generally last until Fri? I'm going on the 17th right when they open.

37. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (141) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

def possible it was just an off can or whatever, don't know. But it was a fresh can from 8/1/18, so short of it being left in a hot trunk parked in the sun 24/7, it should be fine. And it wouldn't explain how flat it was.

Glazoo likes this.
  38. bootdown21

Trader

Yes, every release so far has lasted at least until Sunday if not the next week.

Celtics76 likes this.
  39. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (713) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Good to know. Thanks. Fox Farm then Mohegan next week!

40. purephase

Trader

Daylily and Roam: Nelson available at 8 pp each this week.

lbower860, smutty33 and beanoboy7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.