Freeze Dried Blueberries

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Lukass, May 26, 2017.

1. Lukass

Lukass Champion (899) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Anyone ever try brewing/fermenting with freeze dried fruit?

I am eating some freeze dried organic blueberries at the moment, and obviously the first thing I started thinking about was how they'd go with beer. They've got a lot of flavor for not having any juice, or weight whatsoever. My thought would be to pulverize a shit ton of them into a fine powder and possibly add it at flameout/whirlpool. I think the blueberry flavor would be infused well, will add some extra fermentables (and possibly some color), you won't lose any beer due to fruit soaking it up, and you don't have to worry about racking off of them in the fermenter and clogging your siphon. I'll probably give it a try on a beer at some point this year, just thinking out loud...

inchrisin and corbmoster like this.
  2. csurowiec

csurowiec Disciple (399) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

I've never tried it but I think it's a good idea. It will add flavor and fermentables with no liquid. I think a cold crash would be almost mandatory to get all that berry mush as compacted as possible before packaging.

Lukass likes this.
  3. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,656) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

Just thinking out loud here, but I'd look to see if there are any preservatives in those blueberries and if so, I'd research to see if they could be toxic to your yeast.

csurowiec, corbmoster and Lukass like this.
  4. Lukass

Beer Trader

Good call!

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  5. corbmoster

corbmoster Aspirant (253) Dec 15, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

There may be some preservatives, but there isn't any real need for any since all moisture has been removed, it's just not compatible with life. That's why freeze drying is great for preserving. Anti-caking agents though, those might have been added. Maybe cellulite, something like that. If any were added, I'm not sure how they would affect the beer.

Lukass and Mothergoose03 like this.
  6. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (256) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Used plenty of frozen fruits, but not dryed. But, if they are pure with no additives, like an organic product should, then rock on.

7. corbmoster

Beer Trader

That was an error, I meant to say cellulose powder. It's a common ingredient in food stuffs. Most pre-packaged shredded cheese has been coated with cellulose powder to keep it from sticking.

Lukass likes this.
  8. Lukass

Beer Trader

9. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,453) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I have thought about it but not yet experimented. I have had fruitbeers get a little watery because of the fruits' water content and this seemed like a way around that. Of course, the other way to get around it is to brew a bigger beer with the understanding that the water in the fruit will dilute some of the beery flavors and textures.

Lukass likes this.
  10. Lukass

Beer Trader

So I brewed a Berliner weisse on Sunday, added a bunch of pulverized freeze dried blueberries to it at the end of the boil. It turned the beer straight up red. After fermenting out it is a cloudy pink. Great attenuation as well and the samples taste great - lots of berry flavor. Could be a quick way to add fruit flavor to your beer without having to wait the extra month sitting on a bunch of it in secondary. We shall see!

corbmoster and Mothergoose03 like this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (182) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure Goose Island does it with excellent results.

Lukass likes this.
  12. corbmoster

Beer Trader

Sounds awesome man. Can't wait for pics and tasting notes.

Lukass likes this.
  13. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,129) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

@Lukass how did this turn out? And how many ounces did you add?

14. Lukass

Beer Trader

Great! I ended up using 5 of the 1.2 oz bags of the dried blueberries, so just 6 oz total. After pulverizing them in a blender, the blueberry powder in the boil added some awesome berry flavors and color. There is nothing 'artificial' about the flavors either. Give it a try and let me know what you think, but I'm sold that this is a nice easy method for adding fruit to beer.

The yeast I used was from a wild IPA, so probably a sacch/brett blend. FG was super dry after 2 weeks so I went ahead and bottled. Lots of sour berry flavors, and spritzy. Makes for a good hot weather beer for sure.

[​IMG]

15. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,453) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

Batch size?

16. Lukass

Beer Trader

Sorry, left out an important piece of info. I yielded 5.5 gal on this batch

pweis909 likes this.
  17. 1beerbaron

1beerbaron Initiate (162) Mar 24, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Did you bring the fruit sludge in to the fermentor?

18. Lukass

Beer Trader

Since i pulverized the blueberries into a powder, it pretty much all dissolved when I added it to the boil. Hardly got any fruit sludge whatsoever!

I should say though if you do get some at the bottom of the kettle, I'd bring it into the fermenter.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.