Fremont Dark Star vs. KDS

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by coquet, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coquet

coquet Initiate (106) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I recently enjoyed an amazing trip to Seattle, replete with bottles of a bunch of barrel aged Fremont goodies to bring home. On inspecting my horde, I noticed Fremont's website simply describes BBA Dark Star as being "our Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged in 15 year old single use Kentucky Bourbon Barrels." I find it hard to believe the ABV could jump from 8% to 14.5% based on barrel aging alone, and I have to assume the base beer for BBA Dark Star differs from regular Dark Star. Does anyone here have any insight?

2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,095) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

The base beers for BBomb and KDS are different from Abominable/Winter Ale and Dark Star, respectively. I know at Heron Hunters Club they let people try the base beer for BBomb, not sure if they've done the same with KDS's base beer.

shnsajax likes this.
  3. coquet

Trader

Thanks for the confirmation. Any info on how different we're talking?

By the way, not that it needs mentioning, but Fremont's BA stuff is insanely, absurdly amazing. Rusty Nail earned a spot among CBS and '14 Prop on the list of best beers I've ever had, and C&C BBomb isn't far off. Mind blown.

dirtylou likes this.
  4. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,127) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

just make sure you tell everyone in VA that you got to try some really awesome beers out on the West Coast and dont get too specific. They will all assume you mean California and we will all be better off for it :slight_smile:

kemoarps and Vivified like this.
  5. coquet

Trader

Fremont has done tap takeovers for each of the past two SAVOR Weeks, and they've brought the big guns both times. Safe to say the word is out in DC.

6. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (419) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Nooooooooo

kemoarps likes this.
  7. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,127) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

@Texwild what are you doing sharing with outsiders?? :slight_smile:

8. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (266) Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Trader

The beers that go into barrels for BBomb and KDS are quite different. They're amped up versions of Abominable (now, gulp, Winter Ale) and Dark Star. No real details, since they've never been on draft and only some of us were lucky to taste the base beer(s) at some special events. Events that included so much other beer I forget anything about how these base beers tasted.

The first year they did BBomb (2010) they just put regular Abominable into barrels--that vintage is very different.

NWer and sanford_and_son like this.
  9. itracy63

I understand attending events in the distribution footprint, but ,in my mind, doing events somewhere like the East Coast is only going to feed the secondary/trade market and encourage muling. And if I'm wrong, or missing information, someone feel free to enlighten me. This is coming from a guy who easily found all Fremont BA beers two years ago, to struggling to find CC Bbomb and Coffee KDS last year, to being completely shut out on everything except BBomb and KDS this year.[/QUOTE]

Robomunky and distantmantra like this.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,137) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Bingo.This is marketing without buying a bunch of ads. Get the word out, create demand, sell product. It's called business.

11. derftron

derftron Disciple (376) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

[/QUOTE]

shut out? I showed up a full day after spice wars/coffee release and bottles were all over the place. and just from following beer places on Twitter in Portland, it seems like a lot of places got CCBbomb and it would have been easy to get.

Did Fremont short change their home state?

12. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (78) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Brewery

It was a mistake and won't happen again, I promise. We try to snarl and talk about the crappy beer here in the PNW and the rain, etc when we go to D.C. or Florida or Colorado or Philly or Atlanta or Chicago or San Diego for events...it's not working :slight_smile:

NWer, cherche and sharpski like this.
  13. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (78) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Brewery

shut out? I showed up a full day after spice wars/coffee release and bottles were all over the place. and just from following beer places on Twitter in Portland, it seems like a lot of places got CCBbomb and it would have been easy to get.

Did Fremont short change their home state?[/QUOTE]
    No. Demand was just higher so it went faster. Oregon received less than WA, based on sales and demand. We actually made 30% more than last year and more went around in WA but demand was higher this year. We NEVER short change our home.

zeledonia, kemoarps, Vivified and 5 others like this.
  14. coquet

Trader

If you have any influence on DC-area tap takeovers, I beg that you bring more of your amazing beers and regale us with stories of your rain. The best two tap takeovers I've been to in the last two years have both been yours. I realize how absurd that might sound at first blush, but it's true.

15. derftron

derftron Disciple (376) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

No. Demand was just higher so it went faster. Oregon received less than WA, based on sales and demand. We actually made 30% more than last year and more went around in WA but demand was higher this year. We NEVER short change our home.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Thanks for the serious response to a somewhat silly question. As a Portland resident who also makes it to Seattle quite often, I just found it pretty easy to obtain all of your barre aged offerings this year. Rusty nail went pretty quick, but everything else is pretty available

Texwild likes this.
  16. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington

It doesn't sound absurd to me, except insofar as I was under the impression that the East Coast was the proverbial mecca of craft beer.

How about you enjoy and clamor after the bounty in your own backyard? We'll try and do something like the same here.:slight_smile:

17. coquet

Trader

That's funny, people here regard the west coast as the promised land of beer. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

kemoarps and Texwild like this.
  18. EdwardAbbey

My apologies. I should have been clearer. We actually regard our grass as plenty green, and do not pine for other pastures.

And I was under the impression that those back east (where I am from) think highly of their own beer, too -- given the way they tend to line up for it, rate it with inflated scores, and (sometimes) complain to us about how they were disappointed with some of what they encountered here because it did not resemble or rise to the exalted levels of what they knew.

My main point was we should all just appreciate what we each already have. Seems to me like we both have ample reason to, and, besides, it never really helps anything to go trampling on someone else's lawn.:slight_smile:

kemoarps, ChrisPr, PaulQuinn and 2 others like this.
  19. MooreProblems

MooreProblems Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Washington

Weighing in unbiased, VA beer probably beats WA beer by a tick if you like stouts and IPAs. Veil probably pushes them into the lead..

WA is close though. It's apples to apples. Or maybe tobacco to tobacco.

20. EdwardAbbey

Probably apples to tobacco. And I am biased, because I don't smoke.:slight_smile:

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  21. itracy63

What's Veil?

ballardbeer, NWer and distantmantra like this.
  22. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,591) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I think it was several years ago, but I remember hearing back from a number of my East Coast friends who went to Savor in DC. Many of them had gone to some huge BA stout tasting event, with beers from all over the country, and almost all them had said that the CCBBOMB (I'm fairly sure that was the beer, but this was several years ago now) was the best beer at the event (and did I know anything about this Fremont place, and what was availability like, etc.).

I'm afraid it's much too late at this point. The damage has been done. :-)

Texwild and beertunes like this.
  23. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,128) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Should I have heard of Veil? This is the first time I've run across that name.

24. beertunes

Society Trader

vurt likes this.
  25. vurt

Society

Thanks @beertunes . As it happens, I've actually tried a couple of their beers at Brews for New Avenues this year: Lil' Kitty Boi and Crucial Aunt. Very good beers, but I wouldn't necessarily call them better than some IPAs I've had from Fremont, Cloudburst, Georgetown, Holy Mountain...

kemoarps, 66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  26. beertunes

Society Trader

Skookum, Three Magnets, Iron Goat, Seapine.....

kemoarps, zestd, UKFANNPACNW and 3 others like this.
  27. distantmantra

Trader

Veil makes juice and has gotten the hypebois super excited.

zestd, itracy63, ballardbeer and 4 others like this.
  28. vurt

Society

I've tried a couple beers from Three Magnets, but I haven't had anything from those other places.

beertunes likes this.
  29. NWer

NWer Champion (804) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

True that. Taste a '10 and subsequent BBomb side-by-side you'd think you were drinking entirely different beers. Only similarity is they have the same name.

30. distantmantra

Trader

You are missing out with Skookum. One of the best IPA makers on the west coast right now.

NWer and vurt like this.
  31. beertunes

Society Trader

Hush dammit!!!!!!

66jzmstr, NWer, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's an extremely high bar, and you've piqued my interest.

Is there a particular IPA of theirs that you'd recommend as an especially outstanding example?

33. beertunes

Society Trader

No John, he's been drinking. Really, the only reason I go there is out of pity. You're not missing out on anything.

66jzmstr, NWer and sharpski like this.
  34. distantmantra

Trader

I'm sorry. I forgot we're not allowed to talk about beer here.

Happy Holidays.

guajolote, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Fine. I'll conduct my own Skookum investigation next time I'm up in the SeaTac area.

Which as luck would have it, will be tomorrow afternoon. :-)

Plus my beer hating wife agreed that it would be OK if we made a visit to the UBG tomorrow as well. Happy Holidays indeed!!!

Texwild, beertunes and vurt like this.
  36. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (177) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

If it's a contest, I'll go ahead and cast my vote for VA, too.

kemoarps, vurt, EdwardAbbey and 3 others like this.
  37. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (346) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Let me second that. VA is way way way better! Nothing to see here folks, move along...maybe to California?

kemoarps, ChrisPr and beertunes like this.
  38. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (138) Jun 20, 2005 Washington
    Trader

Not a lot of repeats, but all the IPAs from skookum are good. Teku Tavern has a few on right now.

beertunes and distantmantra like this.
  39. itracy63

Pint Defiance has a new Skookum IPA on tap right now, Glow, Inc., but I forgot a growler so I grabbed a bottle of their BA barleywine.

40. itracy63

Well, yeah, they have Veil.

kemoarps, beertunes, sharpski and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.