French beer recommendation?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Graphirus, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphirus

Graphirus Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 Russian Federation

Hello! A friend of mine is currently in France and she agreed to bring me a bottle of beer.
    Which one in your opinion should I ask?

Thanks!

2. Vav

Vav Aspirant (264) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

Pelforth. And if for some reason you cant get it where you live, skip that and get Castelain instead.

3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,015) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I always liked Thiriez Blonde. Very tasty.

4. Graphirus

Graphirus Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 Russian Federation

Hi and thanks for the reply =) I usually tend to avoid listings as they usually include hard to find items... I was hoping for some personalized recommendations of beers readily available everywhere. I don't think my friend will spend her entire holidays searching for that hard to find beer I told her to buy me lol

5. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Virginia

I thought 3 Monts was very tasty and enjoyable. A lot like a grassy saison

rocdoc1, superspak and draheim like this.
  6. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Much as the UK/Ireland list is a limp interpretation of what American BAs think are the best UK/Irish beers based only on what gets imported to the States and is often in less than stellar condition when it arrives, I would imagine that the list you provided is not what the French would suggest.

That said, OP should ask the French
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/europe.20/

Hoppsbabo, ForkAndSpoonOp and Chaz like this.
  7. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

jenlain blonde is very tasty

8. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (3,522) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)
    Society

What jmw says above is probably correct; and as beer is not the most popular alcoholic beverage in France, bland macro lagers abound.

Your friend will presumably go no further than a typical supermarket. Pietra (from Corsica) is a possibility, or perhaps Fischer. The suggestion of 3 Monts above is good, but I don't know how easy it is to find. Or you could just go macro and get Kronenbourg....

If you want to browse and get an idea of what's out there, have a look at http://www.saveur-biere.com/en/

9. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (414) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Could be worth seeking out Mont des Cats. I'm not sure how widely available it is but I expect it will be distributed fairly widely, eventually. Brewed by Chimay, quite tasty, my memory was of being like a slightly more modern and hopped version of the red-top.

10. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

How good of a friend is she and how close is she to Belgium?

11. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,279) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Always like this one Castelain Blond

12. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Fischer and Kronenbourg are both macros, with Kronenbourg actually less so (Fischer is Heineken, which closed the original brewery in 2009, and Kronenbourg is Carlsberg). Neither used to be hard to find in the US, but with the rise of craft there was simply not enough space on the shelves to carry them--they are overpriced and decent for macros, but not worth buying, let along bringing from Europe. It's like bringing Heineken from Holland. And if you're going to do that, I'd almost rather see French-brewed Killian's, but that's just me :confused:

Note, however, that both are Alsatian beers and that's the area most likely to produce good stuff (used to go back between France and Germany), along with Northwestern territory, near Belgian borders (original Bourbon territories before French consolidation), that largely brews Saisons similar to Belgian. I would actually recommend finding a decent cider instead--those could be a lot more fun and are harder to find here, especially Saison-style brewed ones rather than the vinous ones.

13. Derranged

Derranged Devotee (438) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Only Frenchies I've had are Belzebuth, 3 Monts Golden, Jenlain Blonde and Jenlain Ambree. Jenlain Blonde was my favorite of those, try that.

The others were still good, but Belzebuth (13.0abv variety) was harsh as hell, even when it was a bit past its best buy date.

14. Kreko7

Kreko7 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2013 California

Gavroche is really delicious!

15. MartinCO

MartinCO Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2013 Colorado

I just came back from 6 months in France (Fontainebleau), and was not impressed by beer (by wine yes, by beer no). Of all I drank, I enjoyed Cervoise Lancelot (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2520/7469) from Bretagne. I also enjoyed different offerings from Meduz (http://www.meduz.fr/) from Languedoc.

That said, you can easily find decent Belgian beer at the grocery store. For example, Carrefour (and Monoprix and InterMarche) carries Chimay (red, white, and blue) and Orval... I really like Orval. I understand that those are easily available in the US.

16. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

You better! France gets half of all the Belgian exports and we're not talking Stella!

17. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (21,923) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Agreed on the 3 monts, I was a big fan of both, but the amber was quite a bit better than the golden. Theillier La Bavaisienne Biere De Garde is also very awesome. I got a massive gusher on that bottle, but it was so good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.