Friend visiting Alaska for solstice

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Sammy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (12,709) Dec 1, 2003 Ontario (Canada)

What special edition/wild beers should he pick up that are not distributed to the West Coast?

2. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (389) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I don’t really know what a special edition beer is, or really what’s distributed where, but if you want to drink and/or buy beer in Anchorage the two must hits are Anchorage Brewing and Midnight Sun, both brew funky stuff, with Anchorage being the best. If you want to hit a couple bottle shops go to La Bodega and Brown Jug Warehouse.
    If you’re going to be in Fairbanks, I wouldn’t be much help.

beertunes likes this.
  3. eire

eire Initiate (167) Jan 31, 2016 Alaska
    Trader

Anchorage Brewing just released a marionberry saison called An Eternity in bottles (it's only been on draft previously). They are also releasing two collaboration beers in canned 4 packs with the musician The White Buffalo on the 15th of June. Lastly, they have an amazing wild ale called The Experiment coming out in bottles at the end of the month.

Midnight Sun has been doing some limited releases in 4 packs at the brewery, so those will be very hard to find anywhere else. If you visit the brewery you'll usually be able to find some rare bottles in their cooler.

King St. just moved to a newer, bigger facility right next to Anchorage Brewing.... they'll have some beers that don't get distribution outside of AK.

On the outskirts of Anchorage to the south, Girdwood Brewing is selling crowlers of all their draft beers. To the north, Arkose, Bleeding Heart, and Bearpaw River are worth seeking out. You can find various releases from those breweries in most bottle shops, but if you're seeking hard to find stuff, visit the tasting rooms.

If you need more recommendations outside of the Anchorage area, let me know.

Erik-P and sharpski like this.
  4. I_h8_clowns

I_h8_clowns Initiate (29) May 31, 2018 Oregon

it's too late now, but the Beer Fest held at the Southeast Alaska state fairgrounds (Haines, AK) is a hoot. I think it's held every spring...in May? It's been many years since I"ve been. It was tiny when I went over a decade ago... Only a handful of local breweries back in the day. It's huge now. Portage Cove campground in Haines, is the best tent campground I've ever stayed at ever, by the way. If anyone is considering visiting in the future, SE AK is well worth visiting early in the season, before the tourist madness hits.

vurt likes this.
  5. JMBSH

JMBSH Crusader (726) Jun 20, 2005 Colorado

Hey I’m THE friend. If I bring some Colorado stuff ( I.e. Avery brewery only releases, Crooked Staves, others) Sammy likes sours while I like barleywines and stouts. I’ll even trade for a meet up at a brewery where you buy me a couple pints and you get a bottle. I tend to very generous. Ask Sammy...

Do you want to play? (WarGames... great classic)

6. JMBSH

JMBSH Crusader (726) Jun 20, 2005 Colorado

Or can you recommend a local liquor store to do some hunting?

7. unclekeith

unclekeith Crusader (739) Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

MSBC 4-packs are at LaBodega and BRown Jug Warehouse - 23 is worth checking out.

Coffee Darkest Hour release 6/22. Also a Barleywine release at Odd Man Rush that week.

Assuming and Anchorage area visit?

Check out La Bodega, Gold Rush, Brown Jug Warehouse. Still some waxed Fremont bottles out there.

8. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (993) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Some good info!! Will be in town for culmination and will have to hit up some of these places

9. itracy63

Do people not even read the thread?:rolling_eyes:

10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,434) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

The Rarz/Special brooze can cause damage to reading comprehension.

itracy63 and sharpski like this.
  11. I_h8_clowns

Uhh. Irritable? Try more fiber.

I only mentioned what I knew since OP didn't say WHERE friend would be visiting. And realised in mid thought probably too late already for Haines.

And I sometimes ramble about fun shit.

Thought info might be useful for others anyway. Feel free to disregard instead of criticising other posters. Enjoying a Boneyard IPA right now. Oh wait, that's off topic.

stevesbeer likes this.
  12. I_h8_clowns

Okay. I guess if the topic police are on duty...to return to the original thread...kinda sorta...

If u can find a local small batch spruce tip ale, it's worth grabbing. Spruce tip ale is an Alaskan thing as far as I know.

Something to do with captain cook and vitamin C.

Alaskan Brewing does spruce tip in their Winter ale, but not as good as some made by smaller brewers.

13. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,008) May 23, 2011 Washington

I don’t think that was targeted toward you.

kemoarps, beertunes and sharpski like this.
  14. I_h8_clowns

Thanks. I'm only paranoid because everyone is out to get me. And there's the whole alien abduction thing I have to revisit now and again. Enjoying my 2nd Boneyard right now. I'm a bit of a lightweight.

Number1Framer, 66jzmstr and vurt like this.
  15. sharpski

sharpski Champion (835) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

It wouldn’t suprise me to learn spruce tip beers were more of a thing in AK, but there are multiple spruce tip beers from OR with a little looking: Fort George’s Spruce Budd (Magnanimous uses fir tips), Bend Brewing has made versions in season multiple years (Spruce Lee, Spruce Jenner, Spruce Willis), and Wolf Tree Brewing uses them in multiple packaged beers.

16. itracy63

Don’t people...never mind.

blackcloud, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  17. beertunes

Trader

So, what you're saying is, ignore the info provided by the two most knowledgeable, about the Alaska scene, regulars on this forum? That they've got some agenda? Not sure wut your point is, but, I'm equally as sure you didn't read the thread either.

distantmantra likes this.
  18. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,171) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

A completely legitimate concern. And besides, as you correctly referenced, off point/topic, vague, rambling, sometimes completely irrelevant observations and comments are what we often times do best in the NW forum. Carry on....

19. beertunes

Trader

But, despite wut Sculder and Mully may "believe", the Truth may not be "out there", but, what those of us who give a shit contribute, say it is. Or not.

Shrug.

Maybe we all are liars?

20. NWer

NWer Crusader (754) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

What did you just say?

itracy63 and 66jzmstr like this.
  21. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,171) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Not sure I'm capable of deciphering a lot of your post Terry, but I'll disagree with the last part.

If anything, I think most of the folks in this forum are brutally honest/honest to a fault when voicing their opinion.

It's funny... not that I see a whole lot of this, but in other regional forums I occasionally see members posting BS comments about new releases, ticket availability to exclusive events, release times at a brewery, fictitious purchase limits, and so on. Sometimes it's done just to be playful (I think), or to intentionally just jerk someone around (I think), and usually it doesn't cause anyone any real harm.

Yet for whatever reason, I just don't seem to see that sort of thing here in the NW. Not that it's a big deal or any reason to collectively pat ourselves on the back, but when someone posts something regarding a brewery release, local taphouse/restaurant or upcoming event in this forum, I pretty much always assume that the information provided is accurate (and it usually is).

NWer, sharpski, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  22. blackcloud

blackcloud Aspirant (284) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

I'd chime in but everyone seems to have it covered. unless @itracy63 could maybe recommend a spot to pick up some bottles.

23. itracy63

Carrs on Gambell always has some hidden gems, bottlewise, as well.

24. I_h8_clowns

that's not what I'm saying at all. but just because other posters don't have the same status as other revered, godlike members of this forum, no need to criticize other participants for well...participating. Even if their contributions may be slightly off the mark.

Naikoon likes this.
  25. Naikoon

Naikoon Initiate (46) May 25, 2018 British Columbia (Canada)

The occasional needless negativity and hostility from a few otherwise good folks in this forum is its greatest defect. Pay it no mind. It's just talk from people who should know better. And no one here, assuredly, is a god. Fallibility is everywhere in evidence.

As long as you keep your posts reasonable, constructive, and/or droll, you'll be fine. Alternatively, you could throw in some lame haikus and disdain for hazy beers and you'll be backslapping with the old guard in no time.:slight_smile:

kemoarps likes this.