Friendly Cold Weather Warning

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by ssteigerwald, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Aspirant (251) Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I've got a beer fridge in the garage and thought it best to check the temperature in it today. Even though this is an attached garage, it's still cold in there. The beer fridge was at a frigid 23 degrees. To avoid freezing, damaging and potentially suffering breakage, I took out most of the beers until at least Tuesday.

I didn't have a problem all last winter, but with this weather, I don't want to risk it. Just a heads up for anyone else with garage beer storage.

ucsbmullet, alexipa, PDawson and 4 others like this.
  2. riored4v

riored4v Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Colorado

I've got a couple beer fridges in the garage. I hadn't really thought of this so I'll be checking mine later today. Thanks for the heads up!

3. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Zealot (503) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Definnitely have run into this in years past. It's especially a concern when fermenting homebrew in a temp-controlled chest freezer. It's great for holding temp when it's warm out, but when you get below about 20*F, it's a good idea to keep a thermometer in there and check regularly. I've had homebrew in kegs not pour and not know what's going on until I pick up the keg and realize it's a corny of slush.

4. ssteigerwald

Beer Trader

Checked the temp this morning...18 degrees in the beer fridge. The beers still in there aren't frozen/slushy (yet), but I'm not taking any chances on the more expensive beers.

5. alexipa

alexipa Devotee (431) Oct 7, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Wow I didn't even think about this. Thanks, I'll be checking it ASAP.

6. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (125) May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Do yourselves a favor and get this: http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-D11...4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1386349466&sr=1-4

Have one of those in my temp controlled cellar. At any point in time, I can check the ambient temp and humidity as well as the liquid temp due to the wet probe in a bottle of water/rubbing alcohol.

The best part is that you can set alerts to email and/or text you when the temperature goes outside of a pre-defined range. For example, @ssteigerwald, you could set it to email you when the temp goes below 40 degrees or above 60. In a fridge if either of those happens, you know something is amiss.

7. ssteigerwald

Beer Trader

coreymcafee likes this.
  8. KoloradoKonet

KoloradoKonet Initiate (161) Jul 24, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

If you need someone to help come over and drink those potentially frozen beers as opposed to having them get ruined...I'm sure I can clear my schedule this weekend.

ssteigerwald likes this.
  9. ablackshear

ablackshear Initiate (128) Sep 17, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I think there are some people for whom getting a text like that could be grounds for divorce

coreymcafee likes this.
  10. riored4v

riored4v Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Colorado

That. Is. Awesome.

coreymcafee likes this.
  11. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (125) May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

It's pretty ridiculous...you can look at 7 days of data online. I can literally tell when someone opens the cellar because of the small spike in ambient temperature.

Turns out the dog opened it one time but I blamed my roommate. Accidentally killed the wrong person that day...

12. joshclauss

joshclauss Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Stick another one in your wife's bloodstream to get the corresponding temperature there. Create algorithm to triangulate the maximum threshold between the two. Done and done.

ucsbmullet and ablackshear like this.
  13. joshclauss

joshclauss Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

There's also this: http://supermechanical.com/

It's more expensive, but it has additional features and flexibility for the engineer wonk. (Vibration sensor, what?) Plus it has a super Web 2.0-ish, one-word name and comes primarily in single-tone teal so you know it's good. I'd be willing to bet they spent a shitload of money on their UX, so it's probably pretty cool.

14. kuelhof

kuelhof Initiate (133) Apr 18, 2013 Colorado

I've been paranoid since reading this last week....checked my garage fridge multiple times per day all weekend...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe