Fun Beer Mispronunciations or Misinterpretations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MarkIntihar, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldhouseRecs

OldhouseRecs Disciple (318) Aug 3, 2012 North Carolina

I thought for the longest time that Ten Fidy was Ten Fye-Dee. Then someone pronounced it for me... I felt like an idiot.

Dracarys, keithmurray, Benish and 2 others like this.
  2. DHS1029

DHS1029 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

I love the Lagunitas mispronunciations as well. In fact, I believe they even print the phonetic spelling of their name somewhere on the corner or the label on all their bottles.

kemoarps likes this.
  3. ahq514

ahq514 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Yeah Lagunitas pronunciations are the best. I've heard as funny as Lagunishius and Lagunas.
    Schlafly is also a common one. Instead of Schlafly Kölsch, I've been asked for Shalafly Klosh.

4. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois

Wish I had a dime for every time I saw Founders Red Eye on a local menu...

5. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 California

Cuir Fruet Bois.

Jonada likes this.
  6. Jonada

Jonada Crusader (764) May 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I see what you did there

ncaudle likes this.
  7. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2008 Missouri

not being a local i can understand... but the brewery has been around for over 20 years. It's on tap all around town and sold in just about every store here that sells beer.

8. FremontBar

FremontBar Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2013 Arizona

At my bar we usually have at least one Unibroue on our list, which to my knowledge has the generally accepted American pronunciation you-ni-brew, not the dreaded you-ni-brow I often hear.

woemad likes this.
  9. tmrmwel

tmrmwel Initiate (93) Oct 14, 2008 Norway

Well, don't! Listen to that guy, that is. His pronounciation is Danish. For a correct pronounciation listen to head brewer Kjetil Jikiun instead:

:wink:

10. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

- its cool, I (am) wrong on the Pronunciation..just looked it up. Oh well, I can admit that..woops. I live in an are where a lot of folks Mispronounce stuff (i guess me too on this one). So I just assumed. Trust me I think they just dont see the W though, 'cuz even I didnt at first, or else they'd be saying it like I was. Whats my excuse? Eh, its Not that great..or else I'd give a Rats a** about it. It was a pretty decent beer..4 my palate (a handful of years ago) its moved on though.

Also I'd rather say This one wrong then..Smit-icks (the Actual proper way) sounds ridiculous. Maybe if we were in Ireland. Good thing I wont be ordering any soon.

StuartCarter likes this.
  11. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (503) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Every. Damn. Day.

Seriously. It's the most mispronounced beer brand we carry where I work. They claim to love them, but can't even say the name.

cubbyswans likes this.
  12. danscott

danscott Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2006 California

True story

We are at FW Barrelworks and a small group of people come in. We quickly determine that they are 3 very rich young ladies who do not know much about beer and a young man that they have hired to act as a guide.

After eavesdropping on them for about 10 minutes, we realized that he also knew nothing about beer, but was trying really hard to earn his money and pretend that he did. The worst part was when he showed them the imperial stout declaring that it was called "pair-uh-BOW-lah" showing he also knows nothing about math.

Moron.

Off topic, but he was also discussing why they should buy a bottle of XXII from the fridge for...$175(?) and it was so expensive because it was so old and rare, like a fine wine or brandy. Dumbfuck didn't notice that it was ON TAP for $5 a glass.

Joenajera and cnbrown313 like this.
  13. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

My pet peeve is when people call it "City of Angels." If someone's going to nick name it like that, the correct phrase from the original name would be "City of Our Lady of the Angels." And I'm not Catholic, just picky.

Zimbo likes this.
  14. Zimbo

Zimbo Savant (956) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

And too many people here pronounce it 'Loss-an-gel-lees'. Have to stop myself from wallaping the buggers every time I hear that.

15. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (421) Jul 3, 2011 Texas

That's not as bad as how many/most American English speakers butcher some UK names.
    Gloucester: Gl-ow-ster or gloss-ter, I can't recall.
    Thames: tems
    Devonshire: dev-on-sher (any *shire)
    Aluminum vs. Aluminium
    And so on.
    Correct me if I'm wrong too.

Zimbo likes this.
  16. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,490) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Shoulda made that trick replace your beer

17. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,102) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I pronounce Uerige as OO-ridge-ee for many years.

Zimbo likes this.
  18. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (474) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

I once ordered shumai once at an Asian restaurant prompting someone nearby to exclaim, "Wait, they have Chimay, here?!"

This one isn't clicking for me: what is a malh malh?

Loganyoung, DHS1029 and dianimal like this.
  19. Luckytiki

Luckytiki Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2010 Indiana

Couple friends are opening a brewery and we've made a point to tell them not to name their brewery or beers something that leaves folks guessing.

I really hope the person who said that the owner of Schlafly gets mad was joking or heard wrong. If the name of your brewery or beers leave people guessing you've got no right to get mad or snotty- just tell them how to say it and thank them for their business.

FoamInnovation and Furlinator like this.
  20. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Poo-Bah (2,775) Nov 28, 2012 Illinois
    Society

Dudes at my local store were callin it "boyz" too. I thought about how it would sound if you said it in French, but I didn't bother to correct them.

21. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Don't feel too bad about that, it's not really a word...well, it is a word that has been spelled backwards because of some dumb legal shit.

22. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,317) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Trader

Someone help me out here...how do you say Jai Alai. Is the 'J' silent?

23. paulys55

Yes. And you realize this is a sport, right?

24. DHS1029

It is said like "High uh-LIE"

25. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,284) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Westverletennnnnn.... (just say Westy); Avent inus (emphasis first syllable); St. Foolian (French, Walloon ?); Aecht Schlenkerla (most folks just say, "that smoked beer in the gothicky bottle); Aass; Ringnes; Nogne (I've heard from the source "nongnya", I don't know); and always the Ws in German beers not being the vee sound.

26. Benish

Trader

It's a sport I never played as far as I know. I just always wondered how to say it w/o sounding foolish.

27. Benish

Trader

Thank you!

DHS1029 likes this.
  28. paulys55

Sorry, I didn't mean that in a condescending way, I just think a lot of people look at that beer name and wonder how to pronounce it not realizing it is named after the sport and that they could just Google it.

29. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

oh I did. I sat back down all like, "wth" and had them get me another.. and bring the high-chair back. :confused:
    I had even left a bottle on the table before I went outside so, I don't know what they were thinking.

30. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

Once, before I was old enough to recall, I asked myself for a birthday beer, and eight weeks later, when my pants were falling down again, I heard my sister laughing at my bathroom.

31. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (421) Jul 3, 2011 Texas

Does anybody else suddenly think that all of the damn trademark lawsuits actually aren't 110% idiotic?
    Risking my neck here, but these stories are good reminders that most/almost all beer drinkers could be confused by similar names, logos, etc.

While I think/hope the Supplication route should be used 9 out of 10 times, sometimes it might be necessary to send a C&D. People new to craft, or branching out in craft can be confused and that doesn't make them dumb. They just don't spend as much time learning and keeping up-to-date as BAs. The server stories drive this (the point I'm making about trademarks) home. They 100% should know the name of the beer, but some don't. They get confused or think the brand is the beer. Beers need unique names and labels (to within reason).
    Thoughts?

32. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,490) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Is Leffe pronounced "Leff-fey" or is it pronounced "Leff"?

33. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,632) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

These correct pronunciations would be good things to put on a sticky note on this BA site. Hey, bros! :slight_smile:

Pablodiablo311 and ThirstyMiner like this.
  34. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (559) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry accepts both variants of aluminum/aluminium.
    I also enjoy when out-of-state folks try to pronounce Worchester in Mass (it's 'wooster').

35. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,148) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Speaking of, Slainte. Pretty fun to hear "Slaint!"

I usually hear German beers (and food) pronounced significantly wrong. Also, I pronounced Chimay with a chewey "Ch" (the way it's spelled to an ignorant American like myself) for like an entire year. Took a good bartender to ask, "Do you mean Shi-may?"

36. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

Woosta

dumpman, dianimal and RobinLee like this.
  37. jamiesmith28209

jamiesmith28209 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2013 North Carolina

Beetleguise is a star.... A delicious star...

38. DHS1029

You mean its not pronounced "war-chester?" Damn... :stuck_out_tongue:

39. BeahDrinkah

BeahDrinkah Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2010 South Carolina

Had it recently explained by a young 'tender that it's not "Why en steff ann er", but "VineShteffan". Gulp....

40. dianimal

dianimal Aspirant (236) Apr 18, 2012 California

...but spelled Worcester. Like the sauce: Woostasher sauce

RobinLee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.