Funk Factory (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Chuckdiesel24, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,134) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I kind of hate to start a thread with a post about off flavors, but I view this as a brewery (guezeria) doing things the right way. In an industry where many other breweries have argued with consumers that their taste buds are off, etc., you have to respect a place that makes it right before a single consumer even said anything, and in a time of little transparency explains exactly what happened. I'm 2+ hours from Madison, but this place is the must-stop whenever I am in the area and the below only enhances that.

2. SundayMorninCominDown

SundayMorninCominDown Initiate (70) Aug 4, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

On the positive side of things, Four Winters is my favorite thing they've ever done.

While we're at the top of the thread, here's the release schedule.

[​IMG]

JJ_17, Chuckdiesel24, Sabtos and 2 others like this.
  3. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (3,917) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

On Friday I was part of a blind tasting of gueuze / lambic / "wild ale" / whatevers, and I picked Four Winters over some heavy hitters, including a 3 Fonteinen gueuze.

Now, I've only recently come around to this style, so I'm a complete newb / philistine, but it certainly piqued my interest in what they are doing up there in Madison...

4. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (280) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Any recommendations of ones on here I should pester my Madison friends about?

5. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (62) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I really enjoyed the first batch of De Bij. Of the Meerts that I've had the Strawberry has probably been our favorite. I'm hoping that batch 2 of both of those are as good

6. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Meerts is solid and cheaper but understandably not as complex as the Methodé Traditionelle stuff, which is what i would spend my money on (so stuff like Frampaars, Framzwaart, Perzik, etc.). The upper tier stuff like Flying Kites is great, too, but I'm not sure if those are MT. The saisons have been nice and reasonable price-wise. Lastly, I have liked some of the Cervinos, but they are hit and miss (and I despise the clear bottles).

7. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Initiate (145) Jan 22, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

South Sea Mountain is a rad Gin BA Saison that was a very small bottle run. Well worth tracking down if you’re a gin fan.

Quilentro likes this.
  8. SundayMorninCominDown

Trader

I believe Framzwart is still available and that would be a good one in the Fram- tier without breaking the bank. De Bij and Glory In the Morning were also very good, but probably a tougher get. Each Meerts is pleasant enough that I enjoy them for the taster size. They're all accessible and you can't go wrong, but the Arnold Palmer version is my favorite.

Quilentro likes this.
  9. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (212) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

I'm still mad at myself for reserving a few bottles of that and then forgetting to get up there that Friday...

GuyFawkes likes this.
  10. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (280) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Bro! Next time let me know! Madison loves me!

PhilBallins likes this.
  11. Mplsbrew

Mplsbrew Disciple (307) Mar 21, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

In regards to the Beer Schedule, does anyone know what "members" means?

12. PhilBallins

They have a membership club. I know it gets you magnums of some beers and I assume these special releases too.

13. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I wonder if "Members" also refers to T100 members (the top 100 supporters)?

14. SundayMorninCominDown

Trader

Since June references MC/T100 and then July changes to Members, I'd guess that structural changes are brewing.

JJ_17 and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  15. kylenabilcy

kylenabilcy Initiate (109) Aug 10, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

As a year one MC member who didn't renew and bounced back to his previous T100 status, I can tell you the two are currently not identical anyway. I didn't get access to South Sea Mountain in the most recent release, nor Oude Suiker last year. BUT, being a local, I was able to go buy a Abrikoos en Hop during the Arnold Palmer Meerts/Framwhatever release last year, which my nonlocal MC member buddies could not.

PhilBallins likes this.
  16. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,225) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

This seems way too complicated...

I was told there'd be no math~!

JJ_17 and PhilBallins like this.
  17. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,228) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

I agree, this must herald a new membership structure- I think it was around June when the first year MC members renewed, so I'm guessing the club year is coming to an end around the same time MC/T100 changes over to Member on the schedule. I'd give much stronger consideration into buying into a club that didn't include magnums (I'm not one that buys into the novelty of large format bottles) but had all the other same benefits.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  18. lilbeer813

lilbeer813 Initiate (53) Oct 1, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Does anyone know if they allow a proxy for pickups? I couldn't seem to find the info on their website.

19. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (62) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, you can just send your ticket to your proxy and they can pick up for you.

lilbeer813 likes this.
  20. J_rodriguez86

J_rodriguez86 Initiate (84) Apr 20, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Never a shortage of people in the area able to proxy. I do it for quite a few people.

21. lilbeer813

lilbeer813 Initiate (53) Oct 1, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Thanks! Luckily my brother in law is close by!

22. Jinx989

Jinx989 Devotee (474) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Anyone know if they have/ are gonna have Astronaut Juice on tap? Also do they ever do crowlers/ growlers to go of it? Thanks in advance.

23. Dactrius

Dactrius Meyvn (1,495) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I don't believe FF does crowler/growlers of anything and it's never been bottled as far as I know. If you want to make your own with a bottle of regular meerts I believe it's something like 1/4 of the Tang you'd use if it was water.

24. MilwaukeeBeerMaker

MilwaukeeBeerMaker Devotee (461) Jun 30, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Changes coming at FFG; T100 being eliminated/consolidated (depends on how you look at it) with the Magnum Club. Below is an excerpt from the e-mail explaining it:

We are making some changes to our membership this year based on the feedback we've received from Magnum Club members. With these changes, we are wrapping T100 into the Magnum Club structure and consolidating the two groups. This brings the total up to 200 members, and we don't anticipate expanding that number in the near future. With the addition of more members these beers become more financially feasible, so we've also dropped the price proportionally, and it will now be $300 per spot.

The 2019-2020 Magnum Club Benefits include:

• 5 guaranteed beers: one 1.5L or two 750mL bottles of each (formats are subject to availability)

• Ability to purchase Member-only beers

• Access to first come, first served online sales

• Exclusive glassware

• 20% Member’s taproom discount on draft pours, food, on-premise bottles, and merchandise

• First rights to next season's Magnum Club
    Looks like some spots potentially opening up depending upon any current MC members who don't decide to renew and however many current T100 members don't decide to join the new MC.

25. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (188) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Is the cost of these guaranteed beers included in the $300? Or do you pay the $300 so they hold the the beer then you still purchase each bottle?
    TIA

PhilBallins likes this.
  26. MilwaukeeBeerMaker

Trader

Correct; the $300 covers the 5 beers in the bullet point that you quoted. All other beers are extra money outside of the membership fee.

ECCS likes this.
  27. Dactrius

Dactrius Meyvn (1,495) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

While it's kinda annoying that the T100 is gone and we're losing the benefit of being supporters all along, it also seems like not that bad of a deal now that the price has dropped and we can get 2 750s instead of a magnum.

I'm leaning towards joining up and not being too upset about the T100 going away, which means FF probably handled this pretty well. I'd assume the most annoyed would be the old mag club members who paid quite a bit more the last two years (granted there were a few more extras, but not $200 worth in my opinion).

Also, it's a big positive to no longer have to feel like I need to constantly buy bottles to keep my T100 status. In the end I'll be joining my first paid beer membership but it'll probably actually reduce how much beer I'm buying and bringing home, which is kind of novel.

28. MilwaukeeBeerMaker

Trader

They have to do what they feel is right for their business. I think it's a little bit of a slap to the face of the T100 but it is what it is. The price tag is a lot more reasonable this time around but I just don't have the extra money to throw at it with other societies that I'm in. It will probably save me money in the long haul since I won't buy bottles I'm luke warm about to make sure I stay in the T100; now I can just buy stuff that really interests me or see what they have in the taproom whenever Im out that way. I'm sure I'll miss out on some cool bottles but you can't get every bottle that you want. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next year.

29. thebigredone

thebigredone Crusader (767) Dec 19, 2011 Wisconsin
    Trader

For the last year plus buying bottles made no difference in your T100 status. I haven’t bought a bottle since the Mag club came out and I still get the T100 emails.

30. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,228) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

I picked up my T100 to MC option. Biggest factor was the decrease in price from previous years. I figured the 10 bottles that are included in the membership (of course, big assumption that I'll have the option for 2 750's each time), I would buy anyway and that's already pretty much the cost of the membership right there. I can certainly make use of the 20% taproom discount as well. So altogether it made sense to buy in this round.

31. PhilBallins

Overall, how have people felt about the FFG membership? Beers have been worth it? Communication and logistics are good?

32. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Initiate (63) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

I think it’s worth it. Beers are good, they’re reasonable folks to deal with, and they have more cool members only bottles in store. Quick to answer questions via email, and there’s a FB members group for general questions/ chatter.

PhilBallins likes this.
  33. Parksnmc

Parksnmc Initiate (15) Feb 5, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

I joined MC for the first time this year as an out-of-towner. Where can I find said FB group? Will be relying on a local friend (and hopefully other willing members) for proxy pickups the majority of the time.

34. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Initiate (63) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

You’ll probably get an invite once they have the list set.

Parksnmc likes this.
  35. JJ_17

JJ_17 Initiate (186) Apr 22, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I couldn’t find you to tell you, but thanks Levi for putting on the best pre- GTMW event on! No entry fee for some of the best beers in the country. Thanks for the beer culture you bring to WI. You rock!

36. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (458) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Anyone been here recently and seen a to go list?

37. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (458) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader