GABF Booth Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by themill, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Did anyone use the GABF app? How did it work out? I'm old school and usually prefer to write notes (adding them to untapped later).

2. adkieffer

adkieffer Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Glad to hear this from a GABF attendee. Fremont's BBomb and KDS are phenomenal!

Prospero likes this.
  3. PDawson

PDawson Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Italy

It does what it's programmed to do just fine. however, all I want is a map that shows "my breweries" something it still can't (efficiently) do. So I'm still the dude running around with a chickenscratched map

kmanjohnson, Prospero and SalukiAlum like this.
  4. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (251) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

This is the sentiment they're best known for in Chicago. They're going to do what they do and GFY if you don't like it. I advise friends that come to Chicago to avoid their brewery. You'll like the products much more if you don't realize the bulk of the people involved there are pretty terrible people

5. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

for all you sour/ saison fans a buddy opened Transient Artisan Ales (Lansing, IL) and he is doing some fun stuff. Booth O23 right next to Triton.

6. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

In laws live about 30 minutes away. Been to the brewery once and enjoyed it, I drank many of their beers maybe 3-4 years ago when I was really getting into the craft beer more. No big deal these days, and not a huge fan of some of their STUFF. Don't get me wrong I'll pound ZD, but for the hassle, prices, attitude (at times) I'll pass.

denver10 and themill like this.
  7. themill

themill Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2012 Colorado

Someone in the craft beer industry that has an attitude problem?! Who would've guessed?!!? :slight_smile:

It's a vicious cycle of us fucking deifying someone who makes a beverage, them getting a big head, us getting pissed, and then doing it all over again. Ahhhhhh... craft beer.

Ferocious likes this.
  8. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

I used the app last year but went back to paper this year. Whether the app is useful depends on your usage. If you're the type of attendee who likes to map out your itinerary in advance, old fashioned paper works best. However, if you're more of a "pick and choose when I get there", then the app is helpful. The app's best feature is simply being able to look up where a specific breweries' booth is. And the app works offline, which is nice.

Unrelated note: I noticed that breweries' placements were all over the map. Beachwood BBQ in Pacific Northwest? NBB right in the middle of the Pacific NW area?

9. themill

themill Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2012 Colorado

[​IMG]
    Am I high or is that doing what you want it to do? I don't know if the app can do too much more than that, it has the breweries I'm gonna check out by table, and when I click on it it tells me the names... I guess it could have ONLY the breweries I wanna see pop up instead, but I think it works pretty damn well...

10. Prospero

Prospero Savant (967) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

This... ^it needs the names - 8 of 'my breweries' on a row doesn't tell me enough information.

11. ringwersen

ringwersen Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2011 Illinois

This. Betise and Presque were better than great.

12. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado

- 2x4 and 4x8 did not disappoint. Along with Fat Heads and The Brew Kettle, my favorite hop bombs.
    - Assassin was legit and I think they rationed their allotment so they can pour some each session. Best BA stout I had by far. Better hustle to get it right off the bat.
    - Minnesota Town Hall Three Hour Tour was my surprise beer of the night. That stout was awesome.
    - Tahoe Mountain was another under the radar place that was top notch across the board.
    - New Belgium NBB Loves Leopold was fantastic and NB didn't have too big of a line.
    - Weyerbacher Riserva 2014 was another awesome beer.

- Some of those lines for the big dogs (Dogfish, Cigar City, etc.) was fine by me. Relatively small lines for some places like Melvin, Destihl, Societe and LaCumbre early on in the night. LaCumbre got packed towards the end though.
    - Wicked Weed line was ridiculous. It was pretty easy to get their beer last year, but they were really popular last night.
    - As long as you avoided the big lines, you hardly ever waited more than a minute or two for anything.
    - I was near the front of the line getting in. It did feel like a mad stampede getting in. But I didn't really have any trouble getting around all night. Water was pretty easy to get, I thought. I wished there were a few more dump buckets though.

blindpiggie, Jumbolaya and Ferocious like this.
  13. kmanjohnson

kmanjohnson Champion (858) Mar 12, 2010 California

You and me both.

14. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (251) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I got in at about 6 tonight. Between 6 and 6:30, I had no problem starting at TG, getting Assassin, going to NG for Wild Sour Peach, and hitting up Lost Abbey for Cable Car. Toppling had the longest line, still shorter than any line for whale-ish beer at WTF or FoBAB in Chicago

15. Prospero

Prospero Savant (967) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

My highlights from last night:

Assassin
    Backyard Rye
    Churchill's Finest Hour
    Cable Car
    The Pupil
    R&D Wild Peach (NG sneakily called this Brown Peach)
    DRIPA
    Firestone 17
    The Abyss (as always)
    Prairie Coolship Truck b1
    Mobcraft Hop Gose the Grapefruit

#95 Prospero, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  16. angelmonster

angelmonster Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 Colorado

Goose Island was my favorite, reasonable wait times for Backyard Rye, BCBCS and BCBS. Went back multiple times for Backyard Rye.

Funky Buddha was also good, Last snow has been in my top 3 beers the past two years

Got my pours of Black Tuesday and Utopias both around the same time and their booths are fifteen feet away so that was awesome

Central Waters had a solid line up and almost no wait time

blindpiggie likes this.
  17. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2012 Illinois

Pineapple Brettanomite. For the win. Hope some of you all heard about them pouring these bottles at the Goose booth.

McNazz likes this.
  18. purplewindex

purplewindex Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Colorado

Indeed. That pineapple from goose island was probably my favorite of the fest.

CLCardinal84 likes this.
  19. shebby

shebby Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Utah

We went Thursday and had a really great time. It was a lot more mellow than I thought it would be and I don't think we stood in any line for more than five minutes (TG, Funky Buddha and Cigar City had the longest lines I saw). My favorites:

Cable Car
    NG R&D Peach
    Sour Reserve (from the Upland session Thursday)
    Tart of Darkness with Cherries & Vanilla
    Original Dankster

It was also nice to be able to walk up to the Goose Island booth two hours in and get Backyard Rye. I didn't get to try everything I had marked, time goes really fast once you get in! But lots of fantastic beer to be had, and fun atmosphere.

20. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,687) May 12, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

Went on Thursday as well - refused to wait in any line exceeding a few people. Why on earth anyone would wait in a massive line to drink beer from Wicked Weed when there are ZERO people in line at other vastly superior operations is beyond me.

The Jackson Hole scene deserves as shout-out - no lines at Melvin or Snake River and they were both pouring some really fabulous beers. The PNW section was also a ghost town - Fremont was pouring awesome stuff as was most everyone on that aisle. I was happy to drop in and drink Central Waters 16 with a wait of 0.0 seconds.

Falling Rock was fun on every visit and the Beers Made by Walking event was a great concept, though lacking a touch in quality.

ucsbmullet likes this.
  21. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

OK - now that the event is over and only hardcore fanatics are going to check this thread....

For many years, I was one of the guys that would arrive at the Convention Center an hour or two early to stand in line. The evening sessions start at 5:30PM, I'd be in by 5:45PM or so....but would have to arrive at 4:00PM. The past two years, I haven't arrived at the convention center until after the session starts - around 5:45PM or so. Guess what? Takes me about 5-10 mins to get in. I'm in NLT 6:00PM. So my biggest GABF secret, unless you like standing in line: arrive late.

22. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,883) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

I poured for Logsdon and Mutiny. Logsdon's Peche Brett (or whatever) was outstanding! Mutiny only brought two beers, it was their first GABF and they were overwhelmed and in awe. Pretty good beers; their (s)Wheat was a lightly spiced Belgian wheat, and their porter was good. Naked City Brewing has a sour beer that was S.O.U.R. I'm tellin ya

I didn't stray much from my island (Pacific Northwest)
    Melvin Brewing knows IPAs.
    Toppling Goliath is purdy good

Will have to go over my "notes"

Falling Rock was better than previous years. Not as packed (but busy) and the staff was friendly. Yeah, I said it. Friendly! :grimacing:

Star Bar had some nice tappings and wasn't too crowded (they removed the middle tables)

Lucky Pie was good, but expensive.

My favorite beers of the week:
    Logsdon Peche Brett
    Great Divide Strawberry/Rhubarb
    Melvin 2x4
    Comrade Superdamp
    several Cascades
    New Belgium Loves Leopold

ucsbmullet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.