Germany & Austria tour

Discussion in 'Germany' started by WunderLlama, Sep 4, 2023.

1. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Grand Pooh-Bah (4,576) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Heading to Germany , Austria & England next week

Need the communal advice on where to go , what to eat, what are the local drinks, what should I see, etc.

Ich verstehe nur ein bischen Deutsch

Day 1 - Wiesbaden - traveling to the city of my birth with my sister & niece although the USAF base has long been closed
    Day 2 - Frankfurt train to Munich - have tickets for the Bayer Leverkusen @ Bayern Munich match - that alone should be epic
    Day 3 - Opening day Oktoberfest- check this off the bucket list
    Day 4 & 5- Train to Vienna, beers with @snaotheus at Ammutson has been planned , schonnbrunn tour and recital on that first night
    Day 6, 7, 8 - Train back to Munich …one day devoted to neuschwanstein, liner off and Oberammergau , working on Man U at Bayern Munich tix. More Oktoberfest or a favorite bier garten?
    Day 9 & 10- London

Need your collective advice and experiences….where do I dine? Local specialities I should try?
    What beers should I seek out ? Wine in Wiesbaden? Apfel Cider in Frankfurt?
    must see sights off the typical tourist travels?

Thanks in advance

PapaGoose03 and snaotheus like this.
  2. BeerAndGasMasks

BeerAndGasMasks Grand Pooh-Bah (4,569) Apr 22, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

In Wiesbaden, the old Airbase is now the Lucius D. Clay Kaserne / USAG Wiesbaden. It became an Army Community in the 1970s when the AF realized they were on the wrong side of the Rhine River. If your folks were at Lindsey Air Station, that is a different story, it was closed much later (1993). While it is more of a Wine area and not a bier area, there is good beer around. Good luck at the Oktoberfest - the crowds will be tough. I vote for Augustiner.

WunderLlama and rodndtube like this.
  3. WunderLlama

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Danke!

Rhein Main was the air base. Looking for the hospital if you have an address, he was medical corp

augustiner helles is definitely a thing targeted beer for me

am I better served to tr6 a local weisbaden restaurant or head for either and echo or weihenstephaner ?

4. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

With both Bayern match and Oktoberfest beginning, the city will be an absolute zoo. In almost all tents, there's the traditional "O'zapft is" cask ceremony and it is very busy. Depending on how many of you are travelling, I'd get to a tent as early as possible, they will fill quickly.

There are a lot of suggestions on places to go in Munich but I'd save those for when you return. One of my favorites is Augustiner Braustuben, during the Oktoberfest you will likely need reservations.

Rest assured, we're all insanely jealous of you.

5. BeerAndGasMasks

Pooh-Bah Society

Rhein-Main Air Base is on the opposite side of the airfield from the Frankfurt am Main Flughafen. We all flew into Rhein-Main during the Cold War, About all that is left is the Berlin Airlift Memorial (visible off the Autobahn) and the guesthouse (the location of which is now an Intercity Hotel). Gateway Gardens, the housing area, is now assimilated into the greater Frankfurt Flughafen complex, I believe the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Moxy and others are on the former Gateway Gardens land. The supporting hospital was the 97th General Hospital, located on Giessenerstr, Frankfurt which now appears to be the US Consulate in Frankfurt at Gießener Str. 30, 60435 Frankfurt am Main, Federal Republic of Germany. It was obviously too nice an installation to let go.

WunderLlama likes this.
  6. BeerAndGasMasks

Pooh-Bah Society

Flying into Frankfurt, there is local beer, but the local drink for many is Apfel Wein -- they also like a green sauce, often available on Schnitzel. The Frankfurt Flughafen does have a Paulaner outlet very close by over the train station. They have a good schnitzel there as well. If you fly out of Munich to the UK, there is a brewery in the Munich Flughafen - haven't been there, but it is there.

WunderLlama and Redrover like this.
  7. WunderLlama

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks @BeerAndGasMasks , I fo7nd the street address for our apartment in the Aukamm. Section of Wiesbaden. Any restaurants you recommend in Wiesbaden?

8. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,623) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I lived in Wiesbaden 25 years ago, so much has changed. There is an Andechs restaurant in the Rathaus basement. For Augustiner go to Ludwigs on WagemannStraße, I think they have Edelstoff.

I haven't been back since 2018, so I won't attempt to recommend a restaurant.

9. jeebeel

jeebeel Zealot (667) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Ludwig mentioned by @hopfenunmaltz has excellent food, as does Bäckerbrunnen around the corner on Grabenstrasse. Same for the Weihenstephaner gasthaus on Taunusstrasse. The handful of Italian restaurants on Goldgasse are also pretty good. For food, I would skip the Andechs in the Rathaus (but don't skip the beer).

10. WunderLlama

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I selected the Andechs terrace as I had just walked by it near the church .

had the Andechs bratwurst , sauerkraut , mashed potatoes, pretzel and dip with a Helles beer. The food and service was good, the beer was very good.

had a chemist who was moving back to Wiesbaden share the table..I like that about Germany …one person sitting at a 4 top should not hog the whole table like it is the custom in the US…he a nice conversation about Wiesbaden, Germany, America, etc.
    [​IMG]

11. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

Don't mean to hijack your thread @WunderLlama but I thought I'd treat you all to this video.

https://fb.watch/niMBuy60-O/

One of my absolute favorites (next to duck)!

As I've mentioned before, Hofbrauhaus is surely a touristy place, but everything they do there is extremely solid, and no crazy prices for the international traffic that they receive.

Redrover, Gutes_Bier and PapaGoose03 like this.