1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Germany trip upcoming in June

Discussion in 'Germany' started by invertalon, Feb 5, 2019.

1. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (464) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Hey everyone,

Currently planning our itinerary for our trip to Germany in June. We fly into Frankfurt June 2nd and leave June 15th. Our primary objective is basically amusement parks and beer, so our time fills up fairly quickly. We will have a rental car the entire duration, but we plan to utilize rail/bus/etc… within the cities on our brewery adventure days so we won’t be drinking/driving of course, getting hotels near the train stations and such.

The plan right now is… (bear with me!)

Arrive in Frankfurt at 8am on Sunday, June 2. Drive to Cologne, enjoy some Kolsch and explore the city a bit. Grab a hotel nearby/in the city. Any MUST hit Kolsch breweries? We would like to hit 3-4 if possible.

June 3rd – Phantasialand (amusement park). Once done, drive into the Netherlands close to Toverland, about a 1hr drive away. Stay overnight near Toverland.

June 4th – Toverland and Efteling parks, with a few hours at each. Drive back to Duseldorf afterward. Enjoy the city late evening, hotel for the night.

June 5th – Drive south down near Europa Park in Rust, Germany. It’s a 4hr drive, give or take, so we plan to hit up any sights/things to do along the route. Any cities/suggestions along the way from Duseldorf to Rust?

June 6 and June 7th – Europa Park both days. Any good breweries or anything nearby to Europa once the park closes at 6pm?

June 8th – Holiday Park for a few hours mid-day, then sight-see castles/sights/etc…

June 9th – Open to explore Switzerland/Sightsee/Germany on the way from the Rust area to Munich.

June 10 – Get to Munich early AM, enjoy Munich (Paulaner, Ayinger, Schneider, Hof, etc…)

June 11 – Munich all day.

June 12 – Leave early AM for Weihenstaphaner en-route to Bamberg. Enjoy Bamberg in evening.

June 13 – Bamberg all day (Schlenkerla!).

June 14 – Bamberg all day – drive back to Frankfurt late evening for hotel near airport.

June 15 – Early flight back home.

So we have about 2 days give or take in Munich and Bamberg, with a day or so in Cologne. Hoping for some really cool spots outside of the main “hubs”, like finding a place or two in Duseldorf and anything near Rust, for example.

Really excited for this trip. My first international trip out of North America, can’t wait to see what Germany is all about! So any small tips/suggestions based on the routing above would be awesome.

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,586) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Enjoy the Frankfurt airport! :rofl:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,159) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

If you haven't yet, get a copy of the Beer Drinker's Guide to Munich by Hawthorne. Very helpful.

Where are you staying in Munich?

Also -- Bamberg is more than Schlenkerla... even thought that's a good segment. :wink:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,586) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

So you arrive in Frankfurt at 8 am, and you might get out by 9 (9:30-10 is more realistic), then it's a 2 hour drive to Köln. That works out great if you can hit the ground running. If you don't have a hotel yet I'd book one if I were you.

"Any cities/suggestions along the way from Dusseldorf to Rust?" - Well it's always what you make it. I don't have a suggestion but I'll just say that I've always had a great time just touring around Deutchland. Du sprichst deutsch, ja?

I'm sure you'll have some altbiers in Dusseldorf, and I'd suggest you stop in Bonn on your way to Rust, and then perhaps Mannheim and Heidelberg. It's a long trip so you'll have to break it up.

From Rust to München there are two basic routes, northern or southern. The northern takes you near Stuttgart and then near Augsburg. The southern route is the more beautiful and leads you through Freiburg and later Memmingen (I forget what I liked about Memmingen...? It's just a small town.), but finally, with a little detour, Klosterbrau Andechs. I'd say the southern route is preferable to me.

The rest is simple. There are so many places in München I won't even bother, but I'll try to post later some of the interesting places I hit outside of Bamberg that make for a great little road trip.

#4 NeroFiddled, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Shanex likes this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,319) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

My wife and I flew out of this airport on our return trip. We arrived late afternoon for a flight the next morning and stayed at the hotel that connects with the terminal. We walked over to the terminal to get in a practice run at finding where to check in, security, etc. for the early morning flight and I'm glad we did. It's a very confusing place!

OP - Maibocks hopefully will still be available during your trip. If they are a favorite style for you, search them out.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  6. invertalon

Trader

Why? Is it very much different from say... ATL, LAX, SFO, etc...? Being an aviation nut as well, getting lost and sightseeing some aircraft will be part of the enjoyment. I give myself plenty of time in case of any security or other issues that may arise. I am typically pretty good with where I need to go, but I will keep this in mind to plan for a bit more time.

@PapaGoose03

Love Maibocks! Will definitely seek them out if still around.

@NeroFiddled

Great info, thanks! Appreciated.

@steveh

No set place in Munich yet, we are currently looking into and will be booking our hotels. Just finalizing our routing and "to-do's". We want to stay in the city or on the outskirts if rail is accessible nearby. So we still need to dig into that. Any suggestions?

7. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,274) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I'd say that the must-try Kölsch places in Cologne are Päffgen, Peter's and Mühlen, which are luckily all fairly close to one another in the old city district. Actually, the original Päffgen brewery is a little farther out, just off Friesenplatz, but their "Zum Pfaffen" off-shoot in the old city district is just a lot more convenient to get to.

There are also two more craft-oriented places in the area, if you're interested: Craftbeer Corner Köln and Delirium Cafe Köln. The former is a bit more quiet and with a more interesting beer selection most of the time, while the latter is a bit more of a quantity-over-quality kind of place, although they do have a decent lambic selection.

If you're interested in meeting up while you're in Cologne, just let me know :slight_smile:.

Google maps link

Shanex and invertalon like this.
  8. invertalon

Trader

@Snowcrash000

Excellent info, thanks! And we would definitely be game to meet up some fellow BA'ers on our trip! Always helps to hang with those who know the city/areas best!

9. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (3,861) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Trader

Hit Mahrs in Bamberg and Cafe Abseits. In Dusseldorf, gotta go to the Alstaad and drink some altbier at Uerige!

invertalon likes this.
  10. Snowcrash000

Trader

Sure thing, just send me a PM if you want to arrange a meet-up.

Also, I didn't notice you were planning on heading to Düsseldorf as well at first but will also say that Uerige is a must while there. I don't know Düsseldorf as well as Cologne, but other Alt places worth visiting are Schumacher and Füchschen and you might as well check out Schlüssel, which is almost right opposite Schumacher.

There's a craft beer bar in Düsseldorf as well, Holy Craft, but it's not quite as good as the places in Cologne in my opinion. It's not far from Füchschen though, so might be worth checking out anyway if you feel like it.

Google maps link

Gutes_Bier and invertalon like this.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,405) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Spezial also makes Rauchbier, good food. Fässla is across the street.

If you go to Mahr's, Keesman is almost across the street, the Herren Pils is super.

12. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

I fly in/out of Frankfurt airport several times a year for business. There are a few things that can be confusing, but I don't mind it at all, especially when compared to a dump like LAX. When you arrive you'll have a bit of a walk to get your rental car. If you have good status at the rental company, I believe you can walk straight to the pick-up area, which is in the adjoining parking structure. Otherwise, you need to find your way to the rental counters in the terminal, which are through a good portion of the airport and past an area with quite a few stores (and maybe downstairs, I forget). Once you're ready to actually get your car, there's a long hallway, then elevator, walk to the structure, etc. Not really any different than other big European airports though - I'm sure it made sense when they built it. If you get a car with GPS, make sure to check that it's set to English before you leave so you can ask an attendant to decipher the settings if it isn't.

When you return, I highly recommend staying at one of the hotels attached to the airport. I usually stay at one of the two Hiltons inside the big shiny jellybean building - it's just so convenient to drop your car off, have your hotel, and be able to walk to the terminal all without having to even go outside again. Pay attention to which drop off point to need to take the rental car back to - there are two (A and B, 1 and 2, something like that). Also, the attendants can be notoriously nitpicky about inspecting the car when you drop it off. Like 15+ minutes, squinting and scowling at every little blemish while muttering under their breath. It can take so long that you might be tempted to just say "screw it, give me the form to sign, I have a flight to catch", but I'd suggest taking photos of the car when you pick it up and drop it off - my company (including myself personally) has later received several charges for "damage". The most recent was $500 for a new windshield.

I've been perfectly happy with the airport after that. The hotels are nice (if a bit expensive for the convenience), there's a major train station attached, a small grocery store, and several restaurants in the main hallway. I was pleasantly surprised by the food at the Paulaner restaurant - very tasty pork knuckle. To catch your flight, just follow the signs to the correct terminal. There's a good duty-free store, but keep in mind that there's not much in the way of services after security. The best you can hope for is more of a to-go type place, so eat in one of sit-down places before security if you want a sit down meal.

13. invertalon

Trader

@Sparty93

Thank you! I really appreciate the information!

The rental car situation sounds like SFO to me.. Getting to/from the rental facilities was pretty crazy, especially after hours when we arrive at 1am or whatever. Up/down, this way and that. The check in counters are closed so you have to detour elsewhere and it just kept going. Perhaps it’s not as bad as Frankfurt, but just seemed so weird compared to more refined places such as say, Orlando or something.

We originally wanted to fly in/out of Munich, but the flight cost difference was significant. Since we are going all over and making a big loop anyway, it didn’t really matter. But ideally, Munich would have been nicer… Oh well!

I am bringing my own Garmin GPS from home (with Euro maps added by the time we go), so we should be good there!

We do plan on staying at Hiltons most of the trip (we are honors members and have plenty of points to use for hotels along our trip). So we will for sure stay at one of those at the airport. I assume I can plan to drop the car off the night before since we are staying at the airport, so we can avoid any of that hassle the morning of. So that will be nice.

Do you have any recommendations for the best rental car companies to use? Right now I have a car booked with Hertz, as I have used them here in the US at least. But I can easily switch if you suggest a far better option in your experience.

14. steveh

No real suggestions -- I've always stayed at smaller hotels. But If I knew where you were going to base camp I could recommend near-by beer venues -- then again, it is Munich. :wink:

15. biermark

biermark Initiate (71) Sep 9, 2008 South Carolina

We flew into Frankfurt in Nov. We took the train from there. I really suggest not having a car until you absolutely need it as it's another expense for parking and the train is so easy. If you can plan the car need for a straight stretch, use it and lose it. Driving cuts into your drinking. I have used Sixt with good luck but I always take pix before and after due to the rental stories. Cars might be cheaper away from the Flug.

Mühlen was my fav place to eat and most fun place in Köln but I liked Peters the best for beer. You can hit 6 or 7 Kölsch places just walking from the Haupbahnhof to Mühlen. If your there for tradition, those are great places. I would only avoid Sion - sitting near the tap you see how little the waiters wash the glassware..single wash, no rinse.

Along the river in Köln there are several smaller hotels, some of them brewery locations. Mühlen has a hotel but it's a bit spendy.

Don't forget Huber in Freising, they have a much better Dunkle Weisse than the 1040 place - the food is better too. Munchen-Bamberg is really fast on an ICE. the DB app can be a real friend and Lander tix are a great way to save.

Munchen will be the biggest challenge with a car due to parking. Again, I suggest you only have the car for when a train doesn't work, which is rare. Walk off breakfast at Weisses then find a 'garten, 5,000 friends are waiting. So many places, so little time...

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  16. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (3,861) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Trader

Forgot about Keesman! Herrin Pils is an all-time favorite and you can't beat fresh from the source!

jonb5 likes this.
  17. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

I agree that having a car can be a complete pain in a big European city when trying to navigate a confusing snarl of narrow streets with a manual transmission and potential lack of parking. Having said that, I much prefer having a car anyway, even if it curtails my drinking. Although the European train system is excellent, there are still places that it doesn't go, and some (most) of my favorite experiences have been the off the beaten track, random discovery types. Parking the car on the side of the road and hiking through the woods in Belgium to see the now torn-down ruins of Chateau Miranda, talking to a photographer at a scenic viewpoint outside of Munich and being directed to a beautiful little storybook town that I'd never heard of. Following the glow of lights in a small town in the German Alps to find a local semi-pro soccer match, then sitting in the stands with a beer and watching people go insane. And, it's a ton easier to carry that case of Westy 12 or Cantillon to the car parked 50 yards away than it is to haul it around by hand. Guess it's just a preference on how I prefer to travel though.

18. invertalon

Trader

We have already booked an automatic transmission (cost for two weeks was really not bad at all compared to manual, was like $50 more?). While we will have a car 100% of the time, we are choosing hotels in the cities that allow us to park and then we will take the train where we need to go within those cities. For example the day we arrive in Munich, we drive to the hotel which has a parking lot, check in, walk to the train station and head where we want to go. We absolutely do not plan to actually drive around these cities, but just have the car as a way to get to each destination point.

We are literally on the move every day (or every other day) so I don't even care to hassle with returning and re-getting another car a day later. I understand hotels charge for parking, but that's fine... Got that budgeted in! All part of a trip such as this...

Like you @Sparty93 we practically need the car. We like to get off the beaten paths, find those little small towns or things to do not easily accessible in other ways.

Reminds me of San Francisco where EVERYONE basically says avoid a car like the plague, yet both week long trips we had zero issue going anywhere around the city, parking, etc... I wouldn't go to SFO without a car, ever. Never any issue driving around downtown Atlanta, LA, Philly, etc... I doubt Munich or European cities are that much worse than what we have here! If they are, challenge accepted :wink:

Thanks for the all the Köln recommendations! All noted!

JackHorzempa and herrburgess like this.
  19. Dodger75

Dodger75 Initiate (50) Feb 26, 2017 England

Can’t believe nobody has recommended Lommerzheim.

It’s THE place to visit in Koln.

20. Snowcrash000

Trader

Well, it's a little bit off the beaten track and also, in my personal opinion, highly overrated.

21. Dodger75

Dodger75 Initiate (50) Feb 26, 2017 England

It isn’t really though. Only a 20 minute stroll.

It is well worth a look in my opinion.

22. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (276) Nov 3, 2005 California

Looks like you have most everything figured out. My only suggestion going from Duesseldorf to Rust is to maybe stop in Heidelberg or even Strassbourg. Driving the A5 south will probably take you longer than the estimated 4 hours though.

Second suggestion is read up on how to drive on the Autobahn and about German rules of the road, if you haven't already. It can be daunting at times, especially if there's no traffic. You'd be amazed at how fast a Porsche going 200+ kmh shows up in your rear view mirror.

25Comical, rob2654 and herrburgess like this.
  23. steveh

You shouldn't be in that left lane anyway! :grin:

For me, it was the Turkish truck drivers who didn't want to slow down -- even in bumper-to-bumper traffic jams. :astonished:

24. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,267) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

I like the Frankfurt airport. While not as snazzy as the Munich one, I find it to be easier to navigate. My wife and I have had a knack of being delayed and/or repeatedly searched in Munich while Frankfurt has been entirely trouble free.

Driving in Germany wasn't bad the one time I had to. After dealing with the living hell that is driving in Brussels, I found N.R. Westphalia to be pretty easy. Trucks stay to the far right and the rules of the road are mostly the same as the U.S. There's something called the right hand rule to be aware of, but otherwise I don't think there's anything of concern. The "getting passed by a supercar" thing is 100% true, though. I had some sort of Italian sports car pass my little Opel Corsa like I wasn't even moving.

As far as Bamberg goes - Schlenkerla is only one of many, many worthwhile stops in that town. Luckily it's pretty small. You can walk from one end of town to the other in a day and most of the breweries are inadvertently grouped in pairs. The best approach is to plan your daily trek based upon who is open. The various brewery websites have updated hours that you can make a spreadsheet of in a few minutes. From memory - Friday is the day they are ALL open.

Near Munich, I'd say Andechs, the Hofbrauhaus, and a grand tour of the Englischer Garten get my highest recommendations.

25Comical, drtth, Malt_Man and 3 others like this.
  25. steveh

I take it you never got the chance to fly into the old Munich Airport? My first two trips to Germany started at that airport -- I wish I'd taken pictures, a lot of pictures!

Best memory; sitting at one of the refreshment kiosks, waiting on our friends' flight to arrive, watching the Polizei team-of-two make the rounds of the floor -- one with his H&K MP-5 (Google it) slung over his shoulder. Then there was the armored car parked at the front door. It was the bridge of one era into the next.

Bierman9 likes this.
  26. Domingo

Not based upon the timeframes you're talking about. My first trip was in 2004. The airport was definitely far less modern, but it was waaaay past the cold war era.
    Still, even as modern as it might be - I don't like the Munich airport. Out of the 6 times I've flown out of it, something has gone awry for 5 of them. Flying in has been no problem, but out is another story. The problem we've always had is that the ticket kiosk team doesn't show up until about 90 minutes prior to your flight leaving. We've had that issue with multiple airlines. That means that no matter how early you show up, you're still scrambling to make it through security and customs. All of our issues have stemmed from that, too. If there are any complications, you don't have much time to sort anything out. Even if everything goes smoothly, you still don't have much breathing room. The only times we've been able to relax are times when our flights were delayed.

steveh likes this.
  27. steveh

Flying into and out of the old Flughafen was in the early '90s -- not quite cold war, but you could still feel the chill -- the wall had just fallen. :wink:
    All that info is good to take in -- my experiences at the newer Munich facility weren't that bad, but it was some time ago. I'll keep it in mind.

28. Domingo

With some luck, hopefully I'll be able to go back in the next year or two. Those direct Lufthansa flights from Denver to Munich are both convenient and priced right. With no connections to worry about, that takes some of the pressure off. I do still hate that security/customs makes boarding come down to the wire, though. My wife seems to always get flagged by security.

Related to Munich, I hope to re-visit Giesinger. That was my biggest surprise of 2017. I expected something akin to Camba Bayern (or the Kronprinz in Bamberg), but felt they hit everything out of the park. I'd recommend them as a stop for anyone with the time. I certainly wouldn't prioritize Giesinger over places like Andechs, but it's in my 2nd tier for sure.

In Bamberg, nothing beats fresh Herren Pils. I'd go there for that beer alone I think. The fact that there are a more than a dozen other world class beers within 2 miles of it doesn't hurt.

Jwale73, jonb5, Ozzylizard and 3 others like this.
  29. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (343) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Klosterbrau in Bamberg has an awesome Maibock if it’s available, a definite must try.

Bierman9, drtth, barrybeerdog and 5 others like this.
  30. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (225) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

My wife and I are trying to plan our trip for May. Instead of creating a new thread I figured I'd ask here. We're already planning to visit the Black Forest, is Rothaus worth a stop?

31. biermark

biermark Initiate (71) Sep 9, 2008 South Carolina

32. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,414) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

While the Spezial Brauereigasthof (Obere KonigstraBe 10) is across the street from Fassla (O K 19-21), be sure you hit the Spezial Keller on top of the hill (SternwartstraBe 8) - the views of the city are excellent. Both Spezial and Fassla have rooms but I usually stay at the Best Western - it's quiet, has an excellent breakfast, the internet works, and the reception staff speaks English. Fassla is particularly noisy - they start the bottling line at 0500 - internet is shaky, breakfast is mediocre, and there's little English spoken. Other observations: Mahrs-Brau is across the street from Keesmann and has excellent food but, IMHO, the U-beer has fallen off. At Keesmann, the Herren Pils is still excellent and the food is OK. Greifenklau beer seems over-rated but the beer garden is quite nice.

Domingo, Jwale73 and Gutes_Bier like this.
  33. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (71) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Just wanted to add, if you fly into Terminal 2 at FRA, the rental counters are 50 feet from the exit of Customs. And the cars are only a couple minute walk from there. Make sure you take the elevators behind the Relay store to get to the cars (you'll see it as long as the rental company points you in the right direction).

Hertz is fine. I use them all the time, probably 20 + times @ FRA in past 10 years.
    I've also booked with National (serviced by Enterprise) 20+ times in FRA, and they are fine as well.

While the on airport hotels are convenient, you'll have no problem getting to FRA day of departure (especially on a Saturday am).

I like going to Naiv in Frankfurt, and it is pretty accessible by train from airport if you do decide to stay at the airport on the 14th.

invertalon likes this.
  34. Domingo

My wife and I also stay at the Best Western in Bamberg. It's just a few doors down from Spezial. It's comfy and not that expensive. They have good (free) WiFi, a decent sized shower, and it's quiet. That's been our HQ for our last few trips and we'll probably keep staying there. We stayed at Faessla a decade ago. It was nice and super cheap, but the room amenities were nothing amazing. The amenities were a little sparse but the breakfast was good. It looks like both they and Spezial have raised their rates, so they aren't the steal they used to be.

35. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (279) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

We're heading over in the fall. A couple of nights at Spezial, a couple of nights at the Best Western and a couple of nights at Fässla (Spezial was full).

herrburgess likes this.
  36. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,079) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

I almost exclusively stay in Ferienwohnungen. I understand, tho, staying in a Best Western or IBIS. Comfort, modern amenities, and consistency are all plusses. Plus (!) if you're doing it right, you'll probably mainly be there just to sleep.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  37. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,414) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yes, that would work well for someone as proficient in Deutsch as you. For the rest of us poor slobs, partial immersion with some occasional English can be a lot less stressful. My first time over, my vocabulary consisted of danke and bitte, with an occasional wie gehts thrown in, not really conducive to living outside of a military ghetto. But yes, now I only stay in the hotel to sleep and grab a filling breakfast before spending the rest of the day engaged in reisen.

herrburgess likes this.
  38. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,405) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

We have done Ferienwohnungen through Airbnb the last 4 trips. Language skills help a lot, some owners have less English than others.

herrburgess likes this.
  39. Domingo

Yeah, the language barrier has made me a little wary of getting too far out of my comfort zone. I don't need any undue stress while I'm on vacation. Something random goes wrong for us nearly every time (hence I'm familiar with the Munich ER system) and I don't want to compound it :stuck_out_tongue:

herrburgess likes this.
  40. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Initiate (172) Feb 4, 2003 California

My usual rule of thumb is 4-5 days, stay in a hotel; longer than a week a FeWo. In between, it depends.

Just booked a FeWo behind Fässla for nearly three weeks in August. That may change though as I'm waitlisted for a similar period in July (which suits my schedule better);

herrburgess likes this.