Getting “Locked-In” on One Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ronmarley1, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (381) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

In the Cleveland area, we have a great selection of breweries and styles. However, lately I find myself buying more and more of just one brewery, Fat Head’s. Head Hunter is an awesome IPA, and I’ve bought at least two cases of Starlight Lager since they started canning it this spring. They have a wide variety of styles, and rarely do they make a beer I don’t care for.
    What I’m wondering is, have you ever found yourself getting “locked-in” on one brewery?

2. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (926) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

When I visit my daughter's family in Santa Cruz I make multiple trips to Sante Adairius Rustic Ales to the exclusion of all others except for their somewhat strange operating hours. Here in Cleveland I mostly gravitate to the Bottle House because it's close and I like it better than Boss Dog, which is closer.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,728) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I "adopted" a new local brewery, Remedy, two years ago, adding the brewery/taproom as a place, uploading a picture, and adding and trying all of their beers even styles I'm not into. I've kept up with adding new beers, but haven't kept up with trying them all, now only stopping in every couple of months when they have a new one that really sounds good.

4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I'm not "locked in" but do tend to drink, visit or buy from a few breweries. There are a few reason why great beer of course but also close by, made friends with other drinkers ect.

5. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,126) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

No not one brewery, but I am locked in on the breweries that are in the Chicagoland area at about 60%. The other 40 are outside of that and foreign breweries.

JediMasterLenin and eppCOS like this.
  6. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (231) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

Other Half for me. Their IPAs, stouts, and berliners are all great.

7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

For a number of years I was tending towards getting locked in on Short's beers, but I've pulled back from that and am buying a more varied selection nowadays. However, I still look at the Short's section at the store.

beersampler6, GuyFawkes and laketang like this.
  8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Perish the thought! I'm still a ticker, first and foremost. :slight_smile:

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,349) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Yeah, I have my tried and true breweries that I prefer and tend not to stray from. Weldwerks, Odell, TRVE, Comrade and Dry Dock are my go to breweries. I will try new beers as they show up in my distro, but usually find myself saying "this is good, but I wish I had picked up that new one from ...". Modern times and old nation have been the exceptions to the rule.

10. stoumi

stoumi Zealot (560) May 12, 2015 California
    Society

Yup I am in that scenario now. I am locked in on Tree House Brewing Company out of Charlton, Mass but I live near San Francisco. I have a virtual open pipeline to the brewery though an acquaintance. It seems I spending $100 every few weeks for 12 cans to be shipped out to the West Coast.

11. drinkin-beeers

drinkin-beeers Disciple (363) Jan 29, 2014 Montana

Fremont Brewing. Had been to the brewery my last 5 or so trips to Seattle and had always sought out anything when I was there. They started distro to MT within the last few months and they are a constant in my fridge and “cellar” cough cough. They are consistent, well priced, tastiest options out there. Pretty much can nail any style.

12. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (404) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

For me, it's New Trail. Their stuff is outstanding. They release something every week and although I don't pick up every release, I feel like I should.

Fbechdel20 likes this.
  13. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (777) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

For me, it's Fat Head's as well. Goggle Fogger for example is as good or better than any Hefe I had in Germany just weeks ago. Starlight as delicious as any of the Helles I enjoyed over there, too. Which is huge to me, considering a Helles is my favorite style (along with many other German styles) and better yet, available in cans now year-round... As well as Goggle which is just incredible.

At the brewery itself, what they have on tap available from Vienna Lagers, Festbier, Pils, Kolsch, Smoked Beers, Porters, Stouts, etc... Always awesome. I can't get enough of their beer. You never have to worry about picking out a pint if it will be good or not. If you like the style and appreciate clean, to-style beer. You simply can't go wrong.

Even the Belgian stuff is awesome. I just had a Belgian Strong on tap that was up there with Duvel. So delicious.

Then throw in all the excellent American IPA's they do and you just have a home run of a brewery. Everything is always high quality and brewed extremely well.

Easily get my vote as best all-around brewery anywhere I've been. An additional perk is that I work next door so it's very convenient, as well... Really lucky to have them here.

#13 invertalon, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    ClePaul, MonkeyBread, nw2571 and 8 others like this.
  14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If Fat Head's distributed to Michigan I'd feel the same way, and that's based only on my having Head Hunter and juju in bottles, plus various others on tap in a couple visits to the North Olmsted pub.

15. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (388) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I got locked-in when the GF-brewed Alpine was around. Even though people shit on it, I still bought it up like a madman for almost a year straight. Cause it was still freakin delicious.

My pops and I were locked-in on Sixpoint quite a few years back (he was all about Bengali) and always had at least something from them on-hand.

GOBLIN, SFACRKnight and Ronmarley1 like this.
  16. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (995) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

CO: Weldwerks, Comrade, New Image, Cerebral, Oskar Blues (cheaper), and on and on with locals well represented too.
    NM: Cumbre, Cumbre, and oh yeah... maybe Cumbre as well.
    IL: HALF ACRE*, Corridor, Forbidden Root, Revolution (darker/barrel aged), Dovetail (Euros)
    .... and I'll try almost anything from Cali.
    Cheers!
    *if I have to pick one, it's in bold.

denver10, laketang and SFACRKnight like this.
  17. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,804) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Other Half really does make great "big flavor beers" (no question) and I found myself making the pilgrimage out to Brooklyn quite a bit over the past couple of years for their releases (really loved the 3rd Anniversary and glad they reprised it this year). Most of us are creatures of habit, but if you are like me, that pattern will not last forever: there seems to be a limit to the range of beers any place is really capable of producing, at some point you realize you are on their asymptote, and, if you like novelty, you will start exploring again.

Sláinte and Happy Independence Day!

Jay_P22 and Ronmarley1 like this.
  18. stoumi

stoumi Zealot (560) May 12, 2015 California
    Society

...and this is why I am torn about my addiction to Tree House. We, like so many other areas of the country have excellent craft beer up and down California! So why do I feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars a month to get this beer shipped to me?

Sheppard, Ronmarley1 and eppCOS like this.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,349) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I've been meaning to pick up cans of new image and make the trek up to cerebral. Probably need to do it sooner than later

eppCOS likes this.
  20. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,208) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Get 16 cans. Have them shipped in a large flat rate priority box. $20 shipping and get there faster.

laketang, beertunes and ColdOne like this.
  21. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,452) Dec 25, 2003 California

Firestone-Walker. It is the local good one.

22. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (179) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

Never have and doubt I ever will. Certainly I may buy more beers from say Westbrook, but I beers locally as well as from out of state. I don’t normally buy a bunch only from one brewery.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  23. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (995) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

More thoughts after six beers downed.
    I'd happily get "locked in" to Half Acre. More than half of what I've had to drank today.
    Lock. Me. Up!
    LOCK ME UP!

24. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,695) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I would guess at least half my beer fridge is always full of Founders. Right now it's Green Zebra, Solid Gold, and Mas Agave. Usually there's some All Day in there too.

Zorro, Ronmarley1 and eppCOS like this.
  25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,937) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Nothing here good enough imo to dominate my refer , but the Ohio guys mentioning Fat Heads; Hell ya.

26. CaptainHate

Society

Yeah I gotta get to Fat Heads soon; the trouble for me is it's over 20 miles away.

Sheppard and mambossa like this.
  27. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (856) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Beer clubs tend to lock you in. The vast majority of my beer budget goes to the clubs I belong to ( The Bruery, Modern Times , Alesmith ), thats followed by direct buys from a few local favorites, (Bottle Logic, Firestone, Smog City), leaving a trickle for other local breweries and select bottle shops.

Having said that, I drink a lot of really great beer, so no complaints here.

28. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,467) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Jesus man, that stuff was absolute garbage.

Are you sure it wasn’t some of the legitimately brewed Alpine that was just distributed by GF? You could tell by the logo at the neck of the bottle.

29. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,467) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I’m with you on that. I recently dropped The Bruery to stay with Modern Times and Alesmith. I drink lots of locals from Hopsaint, Monkish, Smog City primarily, and supplement it with readily distributed stuff from Firestone, Sierra Nevada, and Russian River.

QuakeAttack, Thenomad512 and nc41 like this.
  30. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (388) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I had some of both, first few drops were the Alpine brewed and then the GF bottles came next. Sure, the GF versions pale in comparison, but they were still good beers overall IMO.

31. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,308) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

I mostly drink from local/regional breweries, but, if I hadda pick one, it would be Wander. They brew a wide variety of styles, all well done.

Bitterbill likes this.
  32. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,090) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Nope. Not locked in to any one brewery...just too many new ones to me out there to try! Cheers!

33. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (82) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

I usually find myself hitting up craft beer stores since I like ticking off new beers/breweries. But I would say my main go to local brewery is Blackberry Farms Brewery. It used to be Smoky Mountain Brewery but ever since Blackberry opened up I find myself there more and they don’t serve food as Smoky Mountain brewery does.

34. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (498) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'm pretty much "locked in" on Benchtop in Norfolk. If they do a can release of something new in a style I prefer, I'm in line for it. I don't EXCLUSIVELY drink them, but I'm a Benchtop line b!tch.

Sheppard and montman like this.
  35. monkist

monkist Meyvn (1,096) Dec 7, 2016 Hungary

Yeah I can totally see that happening... I have a one-track mind for Sierra, Stone, Port Brewing, Prairie... or wait, you meant there can be only one? :grin:

36. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,339) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

At one time, hmmm ... maybe Stone, a few years back. You could kind of get just about everything from one brewery with nationwide distro: an OG-style WC IPA; a more modern take with Enjoy By; bitter ale with the Bastard; huge and high quality stouts and barleywines; experimental takes and off-year offerings, from Espresso IRS to Saisons to barrel aged brews; a variety of hop experiments with IPAs. Probably not "locked in," exactly, but I probably bought a Stone product every trip to the local bottle shop.

Nowadays, nope. Too much variety, quality, and distribution. I have some mainstays I always trust and will revisit frequently (e.g. Sixpoint, Sierra Nevada), but I'm definitely not "locked in" on any one brewery.

37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,147) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

When it comes to packaged beer I am not 'locked in' but for drinking on-premise I am a fan of the Sly Fox Brewpub. Lots of high quality beer styles to choose from (e.g., Helles, Pilsner. Hefeweizen, IPAs,...). I am not exactly sure which brand I drink the most but it might be Pikeland Pils.

Cheers!

Ozzylizard likes this.
  38. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Meyvn (1,047) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Not locked in by any stretch, but I find myself purchasing a greater amount of my beer from Lawson's Finest Liquids and Frost Beer Works.

Sheppard likes this.
  39. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,059) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Yeah, I get that. Since I moved to Virginia a little less than a year ago, they're one of the few breweries that I get excited when their beer is available (I'm in Arlington). Other breweries I have enjoyed since being here are Ocelot and Triple Crossing. I haven't made it to RIchmond yet, but I've been to Ocelot a few times. Those are the breweries I'll get growlers of at my LBS.

I do have a personal stand by since I moved here. I'm locked in on Ardent Pilsner. It is just a beautiful beer that cuts the dreaded humidity of the DMV area perfectly. I have consumed more of that beer than total beer from any other brewery since moving.

40. CaptainHate

Society

Ok, I took the subject to mean physically being at a brewery and not bottles or cans. With that in mind there are just too many faves. Over ten years ago I would've answered Ommegang but that's been supplanted many times over.