Getting “Locked-In” on One Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ronmarley1, Jul 4, 2019.

1. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,760) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

There is one brewery in Houston (Holler) that I have spent more time and money at than any other brewery. I tend to gravitate to it as they consistently have an updated taplist, and generally brew them well. They always tend to have 2+ lagers on tap along with 2+ NEIPA and usually a couple of beers less than 4% abv which is good if I am driving there. I generally just like the vibe of the place. Now if I had access to FatHeads, then this story might be different :slight_smile:.

MonkeyBread likes this.
  2. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (4,721) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Trader

Whatever bigger brewery has their stuff for ~$12.99/12 pack at the supermarket.

Sierra Nevada, Firestone, New Belgium, Stone, Lagunitas, hell even some of the SA sampler packs when they're on sale.

I still spend $20/4 pack every now and then on some turbid flake malt ipas rotating the same 6 hops though. I'm only human.

Coronaeus likes this.
  3. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (370) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Yes, I find myself locked in on a brewery from time to time. And I love it. There is something really satisfying buying a new beer from a brewery you trust, cracking it open, tasting it and just thinking “yup of course it’s good, it’s [insert brewery]”

It’s usually Half Acre for me, and sometime it’s Firestone Walker or Sierra Nevada. It helps that these breweries do make a wide variety of styles, which keeps me from getting tired of a brewery

MonkeyBread and Bitterbill like this.
  4. beardown2489

So you’re locked into price point. Not to a brewery

5. rodbeermunch

Trader

Sure that's one viewpoint.

Thing is, I'm not buying widgets or tshirts. I'm buying beers, from a brewery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_good

beardown2489 likes this.
  6. beardown2489

Just made an observation.

The thread said brewery.
    You just said from the supermarket. You wouldn’t find those prices at a brewery.

Anyway. I wasn’t trying to be critical. Just observational. Drink good beer at a good price. No one will knock ya for that.

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,674) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Occasionally, I am locked into a brewery but thankfully, I have the key.

8. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (376) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Thanks for all the replies. It seems I’m not alone. Proximity is definitely a common theme here. Have a great weekend everybody!

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. Ronmarley1

Society

If I was locked in a brewery and had the key, I would flush it down the toilet. :wink:

Coronaeus and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,674) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Physically locked in, I would consider that. :wink:

I meant mentally locked in on a brewery. The key is my palate. Lol.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  11. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (713) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

A long long time ago it was Victory.

Now it’s none.

Enjoy

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  12. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (713) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I do the same. I buy whatever the pallet sale beers are plus a 30 Of Hamms.

Enjoy

rodbeermunch likes this.
  13. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

9 out of 10 of my retail purchases are of beers from Summit Brewing. Mostly I get their Saga IPA or their current seasonal. I've never had a poorly made or flawed beer from them, they are so popular here in the Twin Cities that they are always fresh, and at $12.99 a 12 pack they are nice on my wallet. They also make the traditional styles I want to drink.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,241) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm more locked into a style, Lagers, than I am a Brewery and I'll have more to say on the subject after I've relocated to an area where more of them are available on a daily basis.

15. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (249) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I think it's funny that someone would be "locked in" on Fat Heads. In 2019.

SFACRKnight, beertunes and GuyFawkes like this.
  16. rodbeermunch

Trader

I think its funny that someone would think its funny that someone has differing subjective opinion about a product in 2019.

17. Ronmarley1

Society

May I ask why?

18. Boulez

Boulez Initiate (17) Nov 11, 2014 California

What about kegs of Alpine beers being distributed in NorCal restaurants over the last few years? I have assumed it is GF-brewed and the beers have been excellent.

19. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Meyvn (1,026) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

Where I'm at in WA state this is pretty hard to do. We are producing great beer for sure, and the bottle shop selection is getting more and more local, but unfortunately the consistency in quality and likability of any one of these brewer's is not there. We must review ratings and we must diversify our brew portfolios!

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  20. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,833) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

I don’t get locked in as such, way too much of a ticker for that. There are a few breweries I will buy anything I can from without hesitation, though. The ones that come to mind right off the bat are Alesmith, Cloudwater, Anchorage and small Swedish brewery Emmaboda. These are a given, regardless of style and price (almost).

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  21. JerzDevl2000

JerzDevl2000 Poo-Bah (2,786) Oct 7, 2005 New Jersey

Great question! For me, it's an obvious "yes' as that brewery is Other Half in Brooklyn. Yeah, they're killing it right now and their brews are among the highest that I've rated on here but toss in the line share at their weekly releases, the beers that I've traded for while waiting in it, and the friends that I've made over the years from being in it nearly every week and no one else around here even comes close to having their place in my heart.

That's not to say that I *don't* like other breweries, but they have the zeitgeist factor that I have yet to find anywhere else. Brooklyn has been my home away from home since I started driving a yellow cab nearly 8 years ago and my Saturdays wouldn't be the same without seeing everyone there, buying my week's allotment, and touching base with everyone. For me, it doesn't get any better than that!

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  22. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,083) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Dude, what is missing? Just in the Puget Sound, I-5 corridor, I think we have every style covered. Lagers? Chuckanut focuses on 'em, and a lot of other breweries make 'em. Murkbombs? Structures, Skookum, Urban Family, and Matchless. Belgians? Sound sorta focuses on 'em, and lots of others brew 'em. Stouts, everybody.

The only couple styles I see a lack of are Hefeweizens and Wits, but there's usually a few around.

Roguer likes this.
  23. Glider

Glider Zealot (519) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Not locked in, as I am a big fan of variety, but Jack’s Abby and Notch get a lot of my beer dollars. Would be even more if I lived closer to either of their taprooms, but the lagers they send to distro are still some great stuff.

SFACRKnight and Sheppard like this.
  24. PolskaKielbasia

PolskaKielbasia Initiate (26) Dec 24, 2018 Minnesota

I used to be all about trying the latest and greatest beers. After being burned over and over again by awful beers, I have streamlined my purchasing from 3-4 breweries. Between them they have about 10 beers I love, and I only drink a 6-pack's worth of beer a week, so that is more than enough to keep from getting bored.

KarlHungus and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. Oh_Dark_Star

Society Trader

Man, I never said we didn't have good beer. As a matter of fact I said we are producing great beer. I also never claimed that there were under-represented styles. The thread is regarding getting locked into one brewery, and your reply reiterates my point: we have great brewers that either focus or excel at one or two styles. I personally could only get locked into one brewery if that brewery alone did pretty well at the other styles, as I can't drink one type of beer constantly. If you're happy with just stouts or just murkies for months on end, then sure, one WA brewery could do it for ya.

26. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,595) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Well, true admissions and all, I have consumed more Budweiser in my life than any other brand, by far, not even close, for about 7 years it was my go to, so Anheuser Busch. Since then? No, just the opposite.

27. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,147) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I'm locked in on Jack's Abby, in my home town. They make a wide array of beers all at a high level of quality, put them in agreeable packaging, price them affordably, and make them available at any beer store around me with better freshness than other in-state breweries, AND donate $$$ to charities in our town. But aside from being a homer, I buy their beers out of principal that other breweries can't/don't figure out how to deliver on even half of the points above.

SFACRKnight and Ronmarley1 like this.
  28. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,083) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Again, I ask, where are we missing these parameters, regardless of style?

29. Oh_Dark_Star

Society Trader

Yes. I needed to clarify that I meant consistency across styles produced by one brewery.

Most of the folks I visit breweries with or do bottle openings with share my sentiment, but it was not my intention to speak beyond my local peer group. We all have our opinions and bias.

This is mine, I stand by it. It is the reason why I love WA breweries and a lot of their beer, but have never “locked-in” to one brewer to drink mostly or solely their brews for any noteworthy period of time.

Again, the thread is about personal experience and drinking habits; not a testament to the ultimate truth of the Washington beer spectrum.

If you felt I was attempting to speak for all of Washington, my apologies again.

Otherwise, there really is nothing to disagree with here, so I’m not sure what you’re gunning for.
    To each their own.

#69 Oh_Dark_Star, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  30. Ronmarley1

Society

My thinking exactly.

31. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,624) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Nope, not locked into any brewery, although I will buy any Modern Times brew I run across, which are few and far between here in NW PA. I do try to drink a Schlenkerla marzen every evening - I just scored three cases between Shangy's and State Line Liquors so I'm good for the next two months.

zid and Ronmarley1 like this.
  32. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Champion (895) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Yes and no. The one local brewery I tend to drink the most from, and rarely miss a release is Bellwoods. In terms of local consumption, they are probably 75% or more of what I drink. That said, I do drink from some other locals, but less consistently, and I do a bunch of trading for out of market stuff.

I doubt, with all the great stuff available today, I could ever get fully locked in to any one brewery.

33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,330) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Does BA have a safe space? Asking for a friend...

rodbeermunch likes this.
  34. marquis

marquis Crusader (771) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

When I began beer drinking my area was dominated by two local breweries which owned nearly every pub. But they were excellent breweries which would be called craft these days and we never tired of their beers. As is the case with good session beers each pint tasted better than the one before and we never felt any desire to change.
    Choice is somewhat overrated, it enables you to find something that you like, but we already had that.

35. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (46) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

sierra fucking nevada

36. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (249) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

So what are you listening to on your fucking Walkman?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  37. rodbeermunch

Trader

"I NEED YOUR SKUUUUUUUUUULLLLLS . . . "

zid likes this.
  38. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (70) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Get with the times kid......Modern Times

MonkeyBread and SoCal_Matt like this.
  39. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (46) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

Walk among us

rodbeermunch and zid like this.
  40. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Devotee (403) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

I guess I could say we were 'locked in' to a couple of local breweries, both have some really good beer, but there are 40 - 50 others in the area that also have good beer.

The fiends and the vibe are the more of a factor than the beer. There is a group of us, probably 20+ that we have become good friends with through the tasting rooms. We follow the specials that some breweries offer on different days, and on any day there will be a dozen of us gathered around a large table.

Beer purchased for home consumption spans a wider range of breweries, Almost exclusively local breweries though, but that includes SN, NB, and OB

Bshaw22 likes this.