Getting “Locked-In” on One Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ronmarley1, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Defender (649) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

so much great beer out there. Hard for me to be locked in on one brewery. Way back in the day when there were only 1500 breweries in the U.S. I found myself keeping a regular rotation of stuff from breweries that I knew I Liked (New Glarus, Central Waters, Bells, Founders, Great Lakes). But now, I have 4 breweries in walking distance of my house, and well over 20 in my city. Hard to stay focused.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (503) Mar 19, 2012 California

No. I have my favorites which take up about 80-90% of beer purchases for home. However, like last night, I was at a going away and tried a Fort Point IPA. Blew me away. It's great to have "old stand buy's", but it's great to also try new beers because you can find something unexpected.

JoeWalsh likes this.
  3. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (361) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

My parents are out in MT and it is a blessing to be able to get Fremont out there now.

drinkin-beeers likes this.
  4. JoeWalsh

JoeWalsh Initiate (159) Mar 20, 2019 Illinois
    Society

Pretty much what QuakeAttack said.

Off Color and Sprecher are the biggies for me, but Metropolitan, Rogue, and Victory are also mainstays. I always have on hand one or more offerings from each of those breweries. And then there's nearly always something from someone else that I'm trying out...

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  5. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I think you can understand American love of beer choice and variety by picturing someone who has been in jail for a long time, and gets out, and goes with as many women as possible. I don't think you would try to tell this person that choice is overrated. Sure, eventually (probably) that person will settle down, and eventually Americans will settle down to their beer "wife", but (pardon the vernacular) we gonna be whoring around as much as we can until then, and purely loving it. :grin:

6. Fbechdel20

Fbechdel20 Initiate (15) Apr 30, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I’m also from the Williamsport area and have been locked into New trail

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  7. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (90) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado
    Trader

Yes you do! New Image makes fantastic hazy ipas and sours, Cerebral also nails those styles and makes fantastic stouts as well. Cerebral you pretty much have to buy there, new image you can find pretty easily (my shop has about ~8 skus)

SFACRKnight likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,150) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dave, I am uncertain that he can. Marquis has consistently (over years) posted about how cask beers at his local(s) is all that is 'needed'. While I too enjoy Real Ales (I have a batch of Bitter Ale that had just recently completed the bottle conditioning phase) I personally prefer to drink a variety of beer styles which include:
    • Belgian Trappist style Ales
    • Pilsners (Bohemian Pilsner, German PIlsner, Classic American Pilsner)
    • Tmavý Ležák (Czech Dark Lager)
    • Oatmeal Stout
    • 'NEIPA'
    • others
    Cheers!

GuyFawkes, cavedave and Ronmarley1 like this.
  9. cavedave

Trader

I have a very similar, very long list also, and would love to add to it some cask English styles were they available anywhere reasonably near to here.

I likely won't be "settling down" in the way Marquis suggests either, enjoying this wayyyyyyyyyyy too much :grin:

Cheers!

10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,350) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I don't consume huge quantities of beer in a session, and I may only have 1 or 2 sessions a month, so a 4x of anything could last me 2 to 3 months. Weldwerks has been my consistent go to along with old nation.

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,150) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

If you ever decide to visit Philly I would recommend a visit to Yards Brewing. They have beers on cask at their tasting room/restaurant.

At the last Yards Real Ale beer festival on 4/14/19 (this was their 11th event) they had 60 firkins on gravity pour - a wonderful event.

Cheers!

cavedave likes this.
  12. piratefan

piratefan Disciple (341) Mar 18, 2011 North Carolina
    Society

A few years ago I moved just down the street from Lonerider Brewing in NC. Because of proximity and my new-found work from home gig, I would go there to get out of the house a few days a week. I had been there before, and even knew some of the brewers personally, but something about being so close to the brewery led me to drink an inordinate am of their beer over every other good brewery in NC. I didn't notice until a buddy of mine came to the house, looked in the refrigerator, and asked me if I owned stock in the company because of all the Lonerider cans!

For me, it was just easy to drink their stuff! I had the taproom less than a mile from the house, a plethora of canned Loneriders at my local grocery store, and a nostalgic (maybe?) tie in that I had become friends with some of them.

Since then I have forced myself to branch out and drink more stuff. I still have many Loneriders in the beer fridge, but not exclusively Lonerider any more. But I do love me some Sweet Josie!

13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,320) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

OH THANK JEEBUZ!!!!!

I'm happy you're OK, and I think you should be happy you didn't live in the era when we had about 70-80 breweries.

Was a time, in my teens, when Rolling Rock showed up for the first time in Upstate New York, and we found it exotic.

Get over yourself and read some history.

PapaGoose03 and cavedave like this.
  14. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,280) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I sure did. I was too committed to the Bruery. Joined their Reserve Society, and moved “up” (in benefits, but more so on $ spent) to their aptly names Hoarders Society. It was fun, but... to much reliance on one brewery. I still love the Bruery, but it’s been months since I’ve walked through their doors. I like bouncing around, so I felt it was time to cut the chord.

15. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (10,351) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

I'm locked in with Logboat (see avatar). I've known the guys since they were garage brewing. Their beers are great. I obviously buy other stuff, but my every day drinking beer is usually theirs (or some Boulevard).

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  16. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Zealot (599) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada

Good thread topic. I’ve thought about this before and feel like if I had steady, convenient access to a great brewery I’d focus only on them. Unfortunately two problems: 1) Vegas breweries are not good and 2) I’m such a ticker and never someone who likes to buy More than 4 packs max of any single beer that while I’d like to believe this is what I’d want I’m not sure with the opportunity I’d actually do it.

Closest that fits the bill for me is Local Craft Beer (LCB), they make it easy by putting out one beer every 3ish weeks but I almost always get it. They’re very consistent and are making an excellent hazy and west coast ipa style.

If I lived closer to Modern Times I could see myself focusing almost exclusively on them. Maybe a MT location in Vegas one day. Can dream but I doubt it would make financial sense for them.

rodbeermunch and Ronmarley1 like this.
  17. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (384) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Americans are still sewing their oates. But it’s probably time to settle down, some of these pastry beers are sexy, but you might end up with a disease. Diabetes!

Ronmarley1 and cavedave like this.
  18. Bshaw22

Trader

I’m not following your comment relative to my comment. Am I missing something?!

Am I being pretentious because I don’t stick to one brewery? So confused...

rodbeermunch likes this.
  19. beertunes

Trader

I was replying to your comment of " Way back in the old days when there were ONLY 1500 breweries". Some of remember when there were less than 1/10 that number.

cavedave likes this.
  20. Bshaw22

Trader

In the 1980s!
    The craft beer boom has been going on for 25 plus years. Do you realize there are now 7500+ breweries in this country?
    Going from 15 -1500 was cool. But going from 1500-7500, that’s nuts!
    Thats cool that you’re able to boast that you’ve been around since then(I’m not that young either). I just don’t understand your critique and how that’s relative.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  21. cavedave

Trader

I have no dog in this fight, but it is fair to point out that going from 50 (early 70's) to 1500 breweries is many orders of magnitude greater than going from 1500 to 7500

beertunes, stevepat and KarlHungus like this.
  22. Bshaw22

Trader

I’m not saying that wasn’t a big deal. I actually made a point that it was really cool! However, simple math would tell you growing by 6,000 breweries is much greater than growing by 140
    As a result, the hyper local brewery is what is changing the face of the game. People don’t stick to core brands anymore because we are so ultra saturated.
    Breweries that don’t take notice to this are being left in the dust.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. Bshaw22

Trader

*growing by 1400 (not 140).

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  24. cavedave

Trader

I feel that going from almost zero local choices of small batch breweries all across the nation, to some, is the same orders of magnitude greater difference than the obvious one indicated by the numbers. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Cheers!

beertunes likes this.
  25. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,618) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I'm not sure some breweries have the ability to adjust to the hyper-local brewery model. It's also hard to tell if that's going to be a long-term thing as well. It's clear many mid-sized breweries are hurting from the current market. At the same time, tiny hyper-local breweries have the potential to die in a hurry if the market shifts in another direction.

As far as me getting locked-in to a single brewery - I'd say that my adventurousness has partially died. There are now 100+ breweries within an hour of my house and I only regularly visit 10'ish of them. Even of those, maybe 5 get my business more than once a month. Just because something is new or close doesn't make it good. Once novelty and newness wear off it'll be interesting to see how many breweries most places can sustain.

26. cavedave

Trader

Sorry I forgot to add that going from 1500 brewries to 7500 is a five fold increase, but going from 50 to 1500 is a thirty fold increase, which is orders of magnitude greater.

27. rozzom

rozzom Champion (821) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Man - @Bshaw22 getting totally shredded by the AARP division. Guys I don't think he meant any disrespect.

"Listen laddie - back in the day I used to make a coovee of goat piss and bud just to keep things interesting. THAT was considered craft back in the day"

beertunes, Bshaw22, GuyFawkes and 2 others like this.
  28. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (554) May 30, 2013 Ohio

Read then title and thought.... Guess I have to respond, because I’ve almost exclusively bought from on brewery. Ironic that its also Fat Heads.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  29. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (381) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Considering your avatar is a SYF with a Chief Wahoo, not so ironic, really. Ya know, great minds and all that...

ClePaul likes this.
  30. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,027) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

definitely the local spots. between fieldwork, alvarado street and cellarmaker i’ve got every style covered, definitly world class IPAs and DIPAs in my opinion (ba stouts are top tier at all 3 too). toss in sante adairius and russian river and i could probably quit trading forever. all of them release enough new stuff to keep it interesting and old staples every few weeks to keep it good

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  31. Bshaw22

Trader

The point is, the initial craft beer boom (which the AARP lived thru 5 times over apparently) brought initial selection to distribution. This allowed you’ll to stop drinking rolling rock.
    The most recent boom has brought flavor of the day/hyper local mentality. This has hurt liquor stores and big craft brewers (you’ve heard of Dog Fish head right AARP? Or are they too new?). These aren’t things im making up. There is a lot of proof in this pudding.

32. Bshaw22

Trader

That’s not really true. When your team is in last place only place to go is up. This is a general rule of capitalism.
    We are actually seeing the results of massive growth in an already crowed market right now.

33. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (927) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I'd have certainly said Fieldwork until this most recent misstep can release; so glad there's Alvarado Street with their consistent quality to help me forget about those issues.

34. beertunes

Trader

80s?!? LOL!

35. beertunes

Trader

Oh, he totally meant disrespect.

rozzom likes this.
  36. cavedave

Trader

Well going from some, 50 breweries, to more, 1500 breweries, is a thirty fold increase. Going from some, 1500 breweries, to more, 7500 breweries, is a five fold increase. Thirty is six times as much as five. This is a general rule of reality.

I'm out. Cheers!

#116 cavedave, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    beertunes and stevepat like this.
  37. Hasher90

Hasher90 Initiate (18) May 1, 2019 Ohio

My favorite brewery is 3 floyds. I can get at least a 6 pkof zombie dust every week now, and if the carry out is put of that, i get gumball head. So yeah definitely
    Locked into 3 floyds.

PapaGoose03 and Ronmarley1 like this.
  38. AZBeerMan

AZBeerMan Initiate (62) Aug 31, 2011 Arizona

Only when I travel to Houston, then I'm locked in on Karbach. Was disappointed when they sold to AB inBEV, but so far the beers have not changed.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  39. BerkeleyBeerSleuth

BerkeleyBeerSleuth Initiate (144) Jun 22, 2019 California

Knee Deep Brewing Company - The Breaking Bud IPA is my go to.
    Henhouse - A local Santa Rosa brewery that churns out fresh experimental IPA.
    Sierra Nevada - I can hardly think of a beer they make I don't like.

40. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I could get locked into 3 Floyds for those two beers too. Others, especially Alpha King would be just a bonus.