Ginger Beer - looking for recipes

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Pulley9, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pulley9

Pulley9 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2015 Scotland

I'm interested in attempting to brew a ginger beer, but can't seem to find any decent recipes.
    Has anyone here managed to create something good, and would you mind sharing any recipes you have?

2. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (248) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

If you mean a malt-based home brew with ginger in it, you should get some hits. If you actually mean a carbonated ginger beverage, this post will likely get deleted. The monitors are rightly strict about keeping this forum about home brew.

Did you try just Loogling "ginger ale recipe"?

3. Pulley9

Yeah, I was meaning a properly home brewed, malt based, alcoholic ginger beer/ale, as opposed to fizzy juice.

Google was my first port of call, but thought I would try here as well to see what people's experiences of brewing with ginger were like, and whether they could offer any tips.

4. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (248) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

5. Pulley9

That's a great help - thanks!

6. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (236) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

I have brewed Keith Yager's ginger lime ale that he calls Catalyst, which is sort of like a witbier with lime and ginger instead of the usual orange and coriander. It turned out pleasantly gingery and I enjoyed it. If I made it again, I might use even a tiny bit more ginger next time for some extra bite, although it had a good plenty with the recipe as-is.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60418&p=548754&hilit=catalyst#p548754

7. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (253) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

I was thinking a wit beer base with ginger instead of coriander (keep the orange peel)....so pretty similar to what dmtaylor outlined above. A ginger saison maybe with a touch of peppercorns maybe interesting as well...

8. Pulley9

Cool, that looks like one to experiment with as well. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.