Go Aeronaut Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by chipawayboy, Mar 8, 2017.

1. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (525) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I was fortunate to be at the brewery last night for the unveiling of Aeronaut's prototype NE IPA -- 2X Hop Hop. Just a stellar/juicy interpretation of the style. Really hope this becomes a regular -- seriously -- the beer is right there w/ Congress St or Swish. Such a totally unique and diverse place --- part hipster bar, part intellectual scene, and part wild wild west -- the dudes of Aeronaut (and the proprietors of the other businesses in the bldg) just do it their way. Whenever I'm near Union Sq -- it's a must stop along w/ Bronwyn -- for some old school German and Eastern European lagers.
    [​IMG]

2. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (141) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

huh, I used to be really interested in aeronaut when they first opened up, but i havent been in a long time because the last few times it's been packed. I still follow them on social media, but judging by that they've become more of an event space than a brewery. I never see any posts about new beers they're working on, expansions, collaborations, what's on tap...it's all just concerts and parties.

3. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

It's a spot I have written off. The beer has always been far secondary to the space for them. It shows. If they can start making better quality beers I may give them another shot. I'm not super hopeful at this point.

#3 Sweatshirt, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (615) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I liked both of these posts because I fall somewhere in the middle. I went back to Aeronaut this past weekend after a few months, and it had been a few months because their beers have just been ok up to that point. Their recent Robot Crusher Pilsner was good so I decided to head back there and try a sampler. The beers ranged from good to forgettable to not good (this was the cask, and admittedly it was at the end and who knows how many days it had been going).

I honestly don't feel they're all that unique and diverse, to me, it's just a regular tap room. Hipster vibe, games, food trucks (stands?), friendly atmosphere...etc. I did like their lab that was open to walk through that I saw. As someone who's worked in labs for over 12 years and a lover of beer, this is interesting to me.

The only tap room that has seemed truly unique to me is Notch. It had the most "German beer garden/hall" feel to me. No samplers, you just go and enjoy a large volume of high flavor low gravity beer.

But I would say I like Aeronaut, definitely enough to go back again. I also partially agree with @Sweatshirt though. A Pilsner is always a good measure of a brewery's chops, and the fact I liked their Pils, tells me they're improving as brewer's.

5. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (484) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you could write down the modern day Cambridge/Somerville stereotype, it would perfectly describe the people and scene at Aeronaut. Not a bad thing, but to me it's almost a caricature. I've enjoyed some of their beers, but none have been great. I'll snag cans or drafts of Nandu at certain bars if the price is right. But I've never felt comfortable at their tap room, and I love brewery taprooms. Mystic is the gold standard around Boston for me, but even that can be packed on weekends now.

6. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (53) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, Aeronaut is fairly straightforward. If you hear "late 20something from Somerville" and think "I am that or am friends with such a person," probably check it out. If that caused your face to scrunch as you envisioned a negative stereotype, you can probably pass.

7. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (286) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm well past my 20s sadly but I've always liked the vibe at Aeuronaut - it just feels like people are excited to be there and that a lot of folks know each other. I haven't been in probably 6 or 8 months though so maybe it's gone past a hipster tipping point since then.

I haven't had a beer there that I've loved but I also haven't had anything I thought was bad. I'll be interested to check out the new IPA.

If I remember correctly their original shtick was that they were really going to experiment a lot with house strains of yeast (and maybe one of the founders is a chemist or something?). Did that ever come to pass in any way?

8. CD00

CD00 Aspirant (232) May 30, 2013 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm going to stick my neck out for Aeronaut here too. Yes, they have a hipster vibe, and yes, they their beer is usually more in the decent category than the great category. But the space is really large and I like the atmosphere of everything going on there. What hasn't even been mentioned here is how many people live within walking distance of the brewery (myself included), and to me that is huge. I'm struggling to think of another brewery in Boston area that can hold this many people and is within easy walking distance of so many. I'm very much against drunk driving, and being able to go there with friends when I want to have more than a beer or a flight of tasters fills a big need for me.

9. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (325) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've never had a beer from them that was better than "this is pretty decent". The space is cool but after a couple rounds the thought of walking to Cambridge Brewing for much better beer in a more comfortable set up wins over what Aeronaut is offering.

10. CD00

CD00 Aspirant (232) May 30, 2013 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

CBC is a good call. Strangely I forgot about them, despite going there all the time :slight_smile:.

kinopio likes this.
  11. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (325) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It is hard to call the Boston area a great beer town when so many people don't live within walking distance to a brewery. Turtle Swamp Brewing is opening soon down the street from me and I've already said to myself and others that I'll be there often even if the beer is just decent like Aeronauts, so I understand your appreciation of Aeronaut.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  12. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (286) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That's a really interesting point I hadn't thought of that helps explain the feel of the place I was trying to describe. I guess you could say it feels "neighborhood-y" since so many people can just pop in without it being much of a destination sort of trip?

13. AlcahueteJ

This is a moot point for me now that we have Uber Pool. With Uber Pool Nightshift, Mystic, Idle Hands...etc. are all typically only a $3-6 Uber Pool away, split between two people. I don't even take the T anymore, even to go to Cambridge. Ends up being the same cost.

Ironically Aeronaut isn't close to a T station. Not as close as the Slumbrew tent (if you consider that a brewery) at Assembly, CBC, or Idle Hands.

Earlier this year I went to Nightshift (waited in line), then Lamplighter (grabbed the last two seats then a line developed), and then went to CBC. It was busy, but not packed, grabbed seats near the bar no problem. And it was the night of their Barleywine Festival.

This tells you something about who's going to many of these tap rooms, because in my opinion, CBC has better beers overall (in a wider variety of styles) and definitely has far more experience than most of these breweries.

14. bla211

bla211 Initiate (168) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I live very close to Aeronaut and I don't go because the beer is so sub-par. Proximity does not outweigh quality.

15. pgbond

pgbond Initiate (140) Dec 3, 2014 Massachusetts

I've been really enjoying the canned offerings from Aeronaut like Hop, Hop and Away and Robot Crush. Really killer beers. Both have been go to's for me when picking up fresh local cans from Redstone.

Ganglani and rhino88888888 like this.
  16. LoganB

LoganB Initiate (108) Jun 10, 2016 Connecticut

Hop, Hop and away is the only beer I've been able to try from them, and was rather impressed for a session.

17. AlcahueteJ

The issue for me with Hop, Hop and Away is that we have Whirlpool, which in my opinion is a better beer. I like Hop, Hop and Away but I haven't felt it offers anything that's different enough (in a good way) than Whirlpool to make me buy it more often.

There's also WAY more Whirlpool hitting liquor stores, and it's a lower ABV at 4.5%, making it more sessionable.

I've picked up Robot Crusher a few times though, and I also like Pfaffenheck. That's an example of two beers in the same style that may be slightly different, but I enjoy both.

bostonwolf and rhino88888888 like this.
  18. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Aspirant (213) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You're aware that their pilsner just won gold at the GABF, right?

Robtobfest, pgbond and rhino88888888 like this.
  19. bostonwolf

Beer Trader

Hell, I live in Belmont. I don't think the town would ALLOW a brewery to open inside it's borders.

20. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

So they have one beer good enough to gold in a smallish style category of a tiny percentage of brewries that decide to send beer in? Amazing. Doesnt change a thing about what I said.

joberlander likes this.
  21. chipawayboy

Subscriber Beer Trader

Just heard a number of new prototype NE IPAs went on tap this afternoon at Aeronaut. The one pictured above -- basically a 7% Congress St kinda beer and another brewed w/ all lupulin powder. Anybody happen to be there ??

rhino88888888 likes this.
  22. chipawayboy

Subscriber Beer Trader

my god dude are you miserable or what?

23. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

Nope.

24. MikeyBadnews

MikeyBadnews Initiate (163) Dec 10, 2013 Massachusetts

Good business is good business. If their goal is to have a "pretty good" beer and use their space as more of a party zone then best of luck to them. They've been successful and it's the best I can hope for anyone. If it's not your deal, then move on.

chipawayboy and rhino88888888 like this.
  25. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (210) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Another thing that's true is that they competed against 65 other entries in the category and beat them all.

26. bostonwolf

Beer Trader

Smallish category? There were 42 categories. Average number of entries per category was 73. Their category had 66 entries. All of whom they beat.

Night Shift sucks too except for the One Hops series, right?

Opinions are like assholes, we all have them. You just act like your opinion is the immutable truth.

#26 bostonwolf, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Robtobfest likes this.
  27. bostonwolf

Beer Trader

No, he's the definition of a beer snob. That's all. Been that way for years. He is consistent, if anything

Rysk22 likes this.
  28. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

So the correction is that they beat out an average number of entries from whatever tiny faction of breweries decide to send beer into the competition. Plenty of banners hanging at mediocre breweries too. I've had enough of their beer that a good pils isn't tipping the scales in any meaningful way.

I only buy OHTT. They have other good beers but that is their best and I choose to support NS very little nowadays for personal reasons with them I've discussed in other threads. Aeronaut sucks, I just choose not to support Night Shift.

Keep pretending like you know me. It's hilarious.

29. chipawayboy

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm all for constructive criticism - and have no problem w/your original posts here - but going on what is essentially an appreciation thread for a brewery and saying they suck is just obnoxious and a total dick post.

30. bostonwolf

Beer Trader

^which is exactly what he is on these boards.

I don't pretend to know you anywhere but here, sweatshirt. Here, you are exactly what I and others have said you are.

kuntmissioner and TheMattJones88 like this.
  31. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

I don't mince words and don't fanboy every beer, brewery, and brewer. Im very supportive of good ones. If that makes my opinions a "dick post" to you oh well. Push up your rose colored glasses and find a safe space.

32. JMFBOSTON

JMFBOSTON Initiate (159) Apr 17, 2011 Massachusetts

yes he is

33. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

You delicate flower you.

34. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (704) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Tireless is more appropriate than snobbish

35. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

36. AlcahueteJ

Ok guys, I think everyone has went their 12 rounds...and unfortunately it's not involving beer.

Back on topic...I'd be curious if anyone heads over to Aeronaut this weekend to try their take on a Dry Irish Stout. You don't see many of those in craft, especially locals.

Gritty's is the only one I can think of. I'll be at Mystic and Nightshift myself today, so I don't think a trip over to Aeronaut is in the cards. Not to mention with an actual event going on, it will likely be packed.

37. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (167) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts

That medal-winning pils was the first Aeronaut beer I've had that didn't taste like somebody's halfway decent homebrew, so I guess they're on their way up!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. AlcahueteJ

I'm a harsh critic of Pilsners, and I enjoy it. I seem to remember their Doppelbock being decent as well, and maybe their Hefeweizen.

I wonder if one of the brewer's has some experience with German brews, or brewing in Germany.

39. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (53) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Slightly off-topic but Lamplighter introduced a dry Irish stout on nitro yesterday that I really enjoyed.

AlcahueteJ and rhino88888888 like this.
  40. AlcahueteJ

Interesting. I liked their Altbier, their IPAs were ok. I think I tried a sour of some sort that had an excessive amount of wet horse blanket/dirty sock taste to it. That could have been what they were going for though, I believe Brett at varying levels/ages can give off this flavor.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.