Go-To Convert Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DaverCS, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaverCS

DaverCS Zealot (567) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

I am sure many of you have friends/ family members that are not into craft beer. If you had to select a single beer with the goal to try and convert them, what would it be and why?

For example, the beer that converted my dad into a craft beer drinker was Trappist Rochefort 10.

NumberNone, Redneckwine and Phigg1102 like this.
  2. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey

Heady Topper. Converted my girlfriend and a bunch of friends.

3. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (313) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

SNPA is a great entry to craft.

Ryancthomas7, Zorro, twb0392 and 10 others like this.
  4. DaverCS

Perfect example! This was even an excellent stepping stone for me into IPA's.

charlzm and mtvolkens like this.
  5. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (642) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

6. rronin

rronin Initiate (178) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

You took the words right out of my mouth!

19etz55, charlzm and Phigg1102 like this.
  7. rronin

rronin Initiate (178) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

I want to lick my tablet!

8. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis and/or Allagash White.

9. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,696) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Converted one dude tonight with SN Nooner.

LittleGus, lambpasty and Redneckwine like this.
  10. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Alaska

Black Butte Porter from deschutes, I find that porters and stouts are easier to get people to like than other styles

twb0392, Fargrow, donspublic and 4 others like this.
  11. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2012 Michigan

I've had good luck with Belgian styles and saisons.. Specifically: Sofie, La Fin Du Monde, and a local Dubbel. Unique but not too overwhelming or bitter.

Being from Michigan, pretty much everyone will drink an Oberon around here.

I've also found that some palates actually really enjoy mild sours, like Rodenbach, dark English beers, like a nice mild porter or oatmeal stout, and a few even really liked milder barley wines or double IPAs (both complex but with relatively lower perceived bitterness (Gravity/IBU).

12. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

I converted my cousin with Hoegaarden. He still buys mostly BMC (he's a college student) but now will drink IPA's and some Belgian stuff.

DaverCS likes this.
  13. BuffaloBrasky

BuffaloBrasky Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 California

I actually thought I didn't like beer when I tried Pale Ale. Granted I was 18, it wasn't a very good first entry for craft beer. I thought it was too bitter, weird yeasty flavor, and odd aftertaste. 8 years later, I've warmed up to it, but being that I live in Chico, I've had time to get sick of it too.

My recommendations to newcomers are easy drinking beers that are light on hops and usually high on familiar flavors. I've never met someone who dislikes Fresh Squeezed, even people who dislike beer. Chocolate stouts are always a good gateway beer, as they're smooth and sweet with an appealing smell (Sam Smith's, Rogue, Campfire Stout). Wheat beers were how I got into craft beer, and seem to be effective with others too. Stuff like Kellerweis, Coronado Orange Ave, Frankiszaner Hefe, etc.

NolanJones, DaverCS and Redneckwine like this.
  14. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Disciple (368) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I converted my dad a couple years ago with Zombie Dust, given my location. He's never looked back and tries anything new he can get his hands on. He texts me a lot asking about certain beers b/c he wants to try everything. Same with my girlfriend last year, I got her with ZD.

DaverCS likes this.
  15. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2013 New York

For wine drinkers it's Rodenbach, for casual beer folks I'd say SNPA.

charlzm and DaverCS like this.
  16. cck5

cck5 Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 New York

lagunitas sumptin sumptin.

or harpoon ipa.

19etz55 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  17. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,227) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Southern Tier Live
    A great intro beer

18. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,470) Sep 15, 2014 New York

It depends on the person's tastes. I tend to cater to their preexisting tastes. If they already like AALs and light beer, I'd recommend SN Nooner or some other good pilsner. If they are citrus junkies like me, go ahead and start them off with a pale ale. Yuengling and Shiner Bock are also great entry beers. Samuel Adams Boston Lager is also a fine example. Hefeweizens are a good beginner beers, too. Hell, if know this person loves coffee and/or chocolate, I'll recommend Guinness or SN Stout.

19. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Disciple (328) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

I've had good luck with Victory Prima Pils, Hoegaarden, and Dale's Pale. I've also made some converts with my homebrewed honey porter, Belgian wit, and saison. I'm currently drinking a Sierra Nevada Summerfest. I think this beer would work very nicely also.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  20. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Disciple (304) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

I guess you could say I "converted" my girlfriend with Kellerweis, Weihenstephaner Hefe, SA Boston Lager, Fat Tire, Alaskan Amber, and to some extent even La Fin Du Monde. She continues to loathe anything hop-forward, especially if bitterness is a factor.

Unfortunately, I don't think it was a conversion so much as a series of mini eye-opening, "Ah ha" moments that changed her mind from "Beer is swill" to "Beer can be pretty tasty". Though she still prefers hard booze and wine, I'll take her epiphany as newfound respect, and that's ok with me.

DaverCS likes this.
  21. DaverCS

Back when DFH actively produced Noble Rot, that was my convert beer for wine drinkers. I will have to try Rodenbach for them now! Good advice!

Phigg1102 likes this.
  22. MA_hops

MA_hops Initiate (0) May 18, 2015 Vermont

Victory at Sea by Ballast Point.... I've discovered that many who do not like hoppy beers, do in fact love big bodied, dessert like stouts/porters.

23. Relik

Relik Initiate (152) Apr 20, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)

Stopped trying the whole convert. learned its easier to let them come around to it on their own time and develop their own journey. Also means more beer in the mean time for me.

24. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (197) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Industry

[​IMG]

Luke...Abrasive is your father!

25. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Zealot (540) Apr 17, 2015 Washington

I don't think there's one beer that will do the job. It depends on the person.

Some might be converted with a Stout or Porter, others with Berliner Weisse or Saisons. I know I've converted Bourbon drinkers with a Bourbon barrel stout and wine drinkers with barrel aged sours.

Personally, I think IPAs are an acquired taste. So, starting off with a hopbomb might not be your best bet.

26. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (731) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I'm not a beer evangelist.

But if I really wanted to convert someone I'd ensure I was equipped with the following:

1 x Black Tuesday chilled to 55F
    1 x snifter
    1 x packet of unsalted crackers
    1 x glass of filtered water
    1 x sturdy wooden chair
    1 x large pair of pliers
    1 x hammer
    2 x rolls of duct tape

Good luck

27. CMB2012

CMB2012 Aspirant (221) Nov 26, 2008 Colorado

Just a random comment really, but I have to say that as a bartender who frequently serves zombie dust I have found many drinkers of all kinds gravitate towards this beer for its lack of bitterness, yet full hop flavor profile. To give and example:
    "I'll take a Miller Lite."

"Sorry we don't carry Miller Lite, or any light beer for that matter. But, what I do have is listed on the chalk board over here."

"Oh you have Zombie Dust? I'll take one of those."

It's quite shocking actually how many will drink this beer in great quantity without really giving a shit about beer...

28. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (856) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Lately, I would say Rothaus Pils.

But Weihenstephan Original is more ubiquitous and works as well.

Aside from that, a plane ticket to Germany. Then another ticket to a NERAX festival in the US to try UK cask ales. This is a nice way to coax someone into trying something beyond IPAs and barrel-aged stouts.

Oh, that’s probably not what you meant. :wink:

BrettHead, VictorsValiant and vurt like this.
  29. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (499) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

There are many entrances into the building; and people have different entry points with what their expectations or tastes desire, so I really have no idea. If I ever had the desire become a beer proselytizer; I would definitely not drop them off in the deep end of the pool with big, challenging meat falling off its appendages beer. Since it's summer, I'd go with easy drinkers and easy drinking styles that speak softly but hit left handed.

30. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (482) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Don't try to covert people. If they express an interest, I'll be more than glad to help. Don't get the obsession with wanting to convince others to drink craft beer.

31. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,387) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia

Right brewery, but I would have said their hefeweissbier. Vitus is a little bit high in ABV and the hefe is absolutely delicious.

32. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (217) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Ghost face killa

That way I know they're truely worthy.

hunninghake likes this.
  33. vurt

vurt Savant (961) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

I gave up trying to "convert" people years ago. There's no point to it. People drink what they want to drink and change when they want to change. Nothing wrong with that.

You might as well ask, "What is your go-to band to convert people to good music?"

34. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Meyvn (1,473) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

I went from swill to Blue Moon and then to Hoegaarden. I then tried out Summit EPA which led me to try some New Glarus offerings like Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel. I then started watching DFH's show and then started seeking out their beers and the rest is history.

DaverCS and charlzm like this.
  35. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,686) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

A good German Lager
    A really good red/amber ale

or....

Leffe

twb0392 likes this.
  36. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

My girlfriend hates beer. That being said, she likes acidic sour beers enough to ask for second and third sips. Flemish Reds and some of the tarter wild ales. I think it's lactobacillus that's her new friend.

However, I just made a damned tasty all-brett beer that she doesn't care for. Not sour enough and too funky, she says.

For the record, she only drinks Fireball, Bailey's and alcopop stuff.

Cameron_como likes this.
  37. KurtE

KurtE Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois

After a trip to 3F's I picked up 4 cases of Zombie Dust(my wife was my mule) and I selectively converted a hand full of people that were regular BMC drinking people. Over the years though, I have converted people with all sorts of beers, I myself was converted by Fat Tire, or Sierra Nevada's pale ale.

38. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,321) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Allagash White. Start easy and work your way up.

andilane likes this.
  39. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,333) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

None. If they want to try something of their own volition, fine and I will be happy to oblige. In general, my friends drink what they like, I drink what I like. I have friends who drink craft and friends who drink martinis and margaritas. They are all still friends.

utopiajane and TongoRad like this.
  40. GamehendgeBrewingCo

GamehendgeBrewingCo Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Massachusetts

I'm not one to evangelize, but La Fin Du Monde did it for me. A great example of the style, not too intense, and reasonably priced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.