Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Going to Colorado

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by dawg1969, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawg1969

dawg1969 Aug 9, 2010 Florida

I am leaving on vacation to Co next Saturday and would love to do some brewery tours and pick up some beers while i am there. Would like to know what breweries to visit and beers I should try? I love IPAs, Barleywines, Stouts and anything BBA.

Also any recommendations on food and places to see would be greatly appreciated.

Salude.

2. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

You should probably post this in the mountain forum. Saying that, if in Denver, go to Falling Rock. Awesome beer list.

KVNBGRY, GetMeAnIPA and dawg1969 like this.
  3. KS1297

KS1297 Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

Great divide! Skip the tour. It's all about the tap room.

GetMeAnIPA, VictorWisc and dawg1969 like this.
  4. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Where in Colorado? Denver/Boulder area is quite different from other parts of the state. Sounds like you would love it at Avery (although it's hard to get the best stuff as it is so fleeting), but there's one gap in your likes--Belgian ales (either strong or sour). If you like those, there are a few other choices in the state. If not, there's always Oscar Blues (which I'm personally not a fan of, but it's popular). In any case, you might want to start by getting a New Belgium mixed 12 the day you get there. I don't know what they have in them now, but it's worth it, even if there is a dud among the mix. Then you can move on to more interesting things. As for breweries, Avery, Left Hand and Oscar Blues are in or near Boulder; Crooked Stave, Wynkoop and Great Divide are in Denver; New Belgium and Odell are in Fort Collins; most of the rest are not ;) (Enter Golden, Colorado in the place search and see what you get) No idea which of these have tours, but all have bars and/or taprooms/shops. Plenty of brewpubs around the state, so consult the BA directory (although it's not always as informative as it might have been--e.g., no information is given if a brewery bottles its own beer or is only a brewpub). Personally, my first visit would be to Avery, then Crooked Stave--but that's just me. Tastes differ.

dawg1969 likes this.
  5. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Aug 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Odell should be first (and maybe last) on your trip. Crooke stave (BBA), Oskar Blues and Great Divide (both for the atmospheres), New Belgium for the La Folie. Falling rock is an absolutely awesome beer bar for stuff you won't find on the east coast. Funkwerks in Fort Collins, also Choice City in FoCo.

dawg1969 likes this.
  6. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Hit Vine Street, Prost, Crooked Stave, Hops and Pie, Freshcraft, Falling Rock,

dawg1969 likes this.
  7. stuart3368

stuart3368 Jan 3, 2011 Colorado

I would skip falling rock and go to Hops and Pie, but that's just me. Not near as many taps but better quality IMO.

buffs9 and dawg1969 like this.
  8. willth

willth Apr 2, 2013 Illinois

Idk where you are going but in the Denver area there are 2 huge bottle stores. Tipsys and Davidsons. It is a must stop.

dawg1969 likes this.
  9. dawg1969

dawg1969 Aug 9, 2010 Florida

I thank you all. I will be making a road trip out of it cutting through Missouri over to Co. Then moving around the Rockies and then south through Tx and back to Fl. I have written down all the information posted and will be hitting as many as possible.

Thank you all for again for the help.

VictorWisc likes this.
  10. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Colorado beer sucks, skip it and go to Texas!

11. DinoFight

DinoFight Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

If you go through Durango, SKA is must stop...... Carver's and Steamwork's are also good stops for good beer and food. Carvers brews up a pretty decent root beer as well. Won't lie that I usually pick up a growler of it along with one of their others brews when I am in town.

dawg1969 likes this.
  12. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I didn't read any post but will now be hearing Led Zepplins Going to California in my head all night.

dawg1969 likes this.
  13. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I hate to give away our gems but you have to trolling right?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado

There's more than 2 ;)

15. willth

willth Apr 2, 2013 Illinois

Well not living there i dont know ALL the hidden gems but my buddy lives in Highland Ranch and everytime i go visit it is a go to. What places am i missing? Ill yell at that sob for holding out the good places.

dawg1969 and Mebuzzard like this.
  16. Mebuzzard

Well, let's see. We got Total Beverage in Westminster, Total Beverage in Thronton, Lukas, and DaveCo. Those I would call huge. Not quite as big, but still large, Argonaut and Applejacks. But sometimes the medium sized stores have the gems.

dawg1969 likes this.
  17. VictorWisc

Note to [not just self]: Not all Colorado Costco stores handle alcohol. The ones nearest Denver/Boulder are dry. So no bargains on that front.

dawg1969 likes this.
  18. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Not sure where you're going to Costco in CO but I can't think of any that I've been in that don't sell alcohol. And I live in Denver. I go to the Costco in Aurora, Westminster and just West of Denver.

19. rkarimi

rkarimi Nov 6, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I thought Colorado law only allowed one Costco in the state to sell liquor. Maybe it's next to a Costco, but are you sure iti is Costco?

20. Mebuzzard

I think the membership crap has something to do with it :oops:

21. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

It's definitely Costco. It's the same with Sam's here. They sell liquor in each one

22. dauss

dauss Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I don't know how it works, but Costco does have multiple locations that "sell" liquor, although there is only one that is inside Costco(I want to say Wadsworth and Quincy location). I'm not sure how the other locations work, the liquor section is in the same building, but it's not connected so you can't walk from the Costco side into the liquor side without exiting the store. Also, I don't believe those locations do not require a Costco membership for the liquor side.

23. VictorWisc

Westmister Costco does not have alcohol. I'm quite certain of that. Not sure of Aurora. The one toward the airport (Arapahoe?) does sell alcohol. It's not hard to find out--just go to the Costco site. I'm too lazy in this time zone this time of night... had a big beer pilgrimage today--3xW00tstout, a few interesting samples and brewing equipment... all done for the night...

In several states, Costco cannot require membership to purchase alcohol. No idea if Colorado is one of them

24. CK21

CK21 Feb 6, 2011 Colorado

My understanding is that the only Costco liquor license held is the one at Wadsworth and I70.

25. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

I am positive that the Costco in Westminster sells alcohol. It is a separate entrance but it sells alcohol. Funny how someone in MA is telling people in CO that the store they shop at doesn't sell something. And you don't need a membership to purchase alcohol in either Costco or Sams here in CO

26. VictorWisc

I spent a good amount of time in CO over the past five years, specifically in Boulder, and shopped at that Costco fairly regularly. Don't assume that everyone's a carpetbagger based on their official "location".

It's not a Costco liquor outfit and is not tied to Costco distribution practices. Being attached to Costco only implies that they are obligated to sell some things and a few other things at specific prices, plus honoring the Executive Membership commitment. But it's a separate business, with its own practices and Costco did not list it on their website as a liquor store location when I last looked, but they might have changed that. They don't use Costco buyers for one-off items like craft beer. The same is true in Massachusetts, where there used to be a strict limit on how many licenses a single business could hold (limit was 3, but it's been changed recently). But there are at least five MA Costco locations with liquor stores. Two of them are independent and carry a subset of what regular Costco stores sell at the same prices. They don't have most Kirkland Signature items which is the house brand. They don't have Costco one-time specials, although they do bring in their own. They have their own employees. And--oh, yeah!--they have a separate entrance. (In fact, they tried to put one store inside the warehouse but in a separated area and the state came in and told them they can't do that.) The only thing that makes it a "Costco" store is the location and some matching prices (because that's part of the lease).

And I did say that most states require warehouse clubs to sell alcohol without membership. Since I have a Costco card, I never had to deal with it in CO, so I did not know if CO was one of those states.

27. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

My point was that I haven't been in a Costco in CO that doesn't have liquor sales. Whether that sale point is inside the official building or is a separate entrance. I shop at that store regularly and was just clarifying that the store does sell alcohol if people wished to go to that store before driving around to find another Costco that isn't as close.

VictorWisc likes this.
  28. dauss

dauss Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Looking at the state liquor licenses:
    Sheridan Liquors Inc DBA HB Liquors @ the Costco in Sheridan.
    PC Liquors Inc DBA PC Liquor @ the Costco in Littleton.
    Ron's Liquors Inc DBA Ron's Liquors @ the Costco in Westminster.
    Colorado Liquor Company Inc DBA Costco Liquors in Arvada.
    Parker Liquor Company Inc DBA Costco Liquors at Parker.
    Mountain Liquor Company Inc DBA Costco Liquors at Colorado Springs.

SFACRKnight and VictorWisc like this.
  29. VictorWisc

Looks like the same 3-license limit that we have here... or not... Just checked the Costco website. They no longer list "liquor store" as one of the options--optical, tire store, rotisserie chicken, but not liquor.

30. fds

fds Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Can I piggyback off of this thread?

I live in Nebraska, have a friend driving out to Denver next week. He's going to bring some beer back for me, and wanted a small list of stuff to look for. I really enjoy Dale's Pale Ale so I'd like some of that, but besides that I am somewhat at a loss.

My main two questions are how hard is it to find Russian River beers in the Denver stores? I am dying to try some of those. Second, is Avery Maharaja hard to come by?

Otherwise, any other recommendations for another boring IPA-fan? (I do enjoy almost all beer varieties, just seems that most of my fridges are filled with hop-forward brews.) Thanks!

31. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Right now you might be able to find some Supplication and Redemption but haven't seen anything else for a couple weeks.

Avery Maharaja is a little old right now. Might be able to find some at Grapevine. I still drink it but if you're looking for fresh you aren't going to find it.

Might have him pick up some Crooked Stave. Renagade has a nice IPA in cans. Love Odell's IPA and you can still get Myrcenary.

32. VictorWisc

No longer in Boulder/Denver so can't really answer direct questions about beer in stores. We get a lot of Maharaja here (MA) on the shelves of almost every store--overpriced and getting old, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, just not worth the investment of time and money when there are so many other things. I second Crooked Stave, especially since you're not going to get it anywhere else. I was going to mention it before this response popped up.

33. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

I haven't seen much in the way of Russian River selection lately, though it seems the stores that carry their beers get shipments about once a month, usually on Fridays. If you want a Pliny alternative that is readily available in most of the major stores, have your friend pick up some Firestone Walker Double Jack. For $7.99 a bomber (also available in 12 oz four packs), it's tough to beat. As mentioned above, the Renegade Redacted IPA is quite good, and if you like Dale's Pale, throw in some of the Deviant Dale's for good measure.

34. fds

fds Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a buddy from Chicago who is trading me some FSW Double Jack, but more can't hurt! I think I am hoping he is able to get DPA, Maharaja (age be damned!), Elevated, and Redacted.

Jumbo - I still have some Deviant in my fridge from a recent trip, but yes that stuff is tasty!

FYI, we get Odell here in Nebraska. If you are curious, we get Odell, New Belgium, Funkwerks, Breckenridge, SKA, most Great Divides (haven't ever seen Collette here), Boulder, Twisted Pine. We used to get Left Hand and Avery, but they both have been gone for a couple of years, always rumored to return though.

35. VictorWisc

Avery XX might be a good substitute (if not better than) for Maharaja, if one could be found. There's a whole thread devoted to search for it, but I've seen it in several stores here just sitting on the shelf. Might be the same on location, so to speak.

36. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I don't mean to go back to the CostCo thing... but just saw (and bought) a 24-pack of Upslope for $28.99 (4x 6-packs, Lager/Brown/Pale/IPA) at the Arvada CostCo, helluva deal IMHO, stocked up for labor day

SFACRKnight likes this.
  37. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

I talked to the guys at the costco at 70 and wads. They just rent the space and arent part of costco at all. This is the same as the one off 92nd in Westminster. Otherwise they'd be selling pallets of cheap 3.2 beer if owned by costco. In co only one grocery store per chain can sell regular beer (non 3.2).

VictorWisc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe