Golden Road Brewing - Dating Issue

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by joeyjoey104, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyjoey104

joeyjoey104 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2014 California

Here is the situation - never been a huge Golden Road fan, but I read they got a new head brewer and decided to give them a try again. I had their Wolf Among Weeds a couple months ago on draft and really enjoyed it after thinking it was crap when it first was released a few years ago. (I did read they changed the recipe, which is probably why I found it way better).

Here's my issue, I want to buy their cans to try, but they put them in those boxes with no bottled on dates. Risky! I walk into one of my local shops and they have some new boxes of Wolf Among Weeds and Heal the Bay in stock. (Literally just got in from the distributor). I figure they have to be a week old - so I buy both boxes. I get home, the Wolf Among Weeds is like a month old and the Heal the Bay wasn't much better, at like 3 weeks.

I know I am being a snob about a month old IPA, but when you pay what they are asking, it should be fresh. Two issues here, Golden Road puts the bottled on date on the bottom of the cans inside the stinking box, really? Secondly, why does the distributor sell a month old IPA? Was this just sitting in their warehouse for a month? I live in Los Angeles, Golden Road is like 30 minutes away, no reason this should be sold to a bottle shop at one month old. Let me get your opinion on this. Am I off base being annoyed.

2. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (609) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

I agree the date being on bottom of can inside a sealed box is annoying. I have had this issue with a Golden Road too. But complaining about 3 week or 1 month old can from a distributor is off base. That is going to happen often. Very often.

3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,027) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

A month old is not old. Perhaps you'd be best served by only drinking at breweries?

4. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

Maybe you're not looking hard enough as I grabbed a four pack of WAW at my WF Yesterday and the box clearly showed that they were canned May 7th (I believe). And I have seen the dates on many of the other four packs I've bought on the side.

BBThunderbolt and joeyjoey104 like this.
  5. joeyjoey104

Where on the box was this?

6. joeyjoey104

I agree, it isn't super old, but I expect brand new beer at a shop to be at least a week old/two weeks old. Trust me, Citra hopped beers at a week vs a month is a huge difference.

7. joeyjoey104

Is the distributor buying product and not able to push it fast enough to sell at a week old? I follow a lot of bottle shops on Instagram, so they post when they get product in. It usually is fresh when they sell it to the stores, I don't get why this wasn't.

8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,027) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

There's no telling how long the beer sat at the brewery before it shipped to the distributor. Then, maybe it sat a day or two with the trucking company. How long did it sit at he distributors before they got it processed through their system? How many days a week does the store receive deliveries? We are yet to live in a Star Trek world where Scotty can just beam stuff to and fro.

vurt likes this.
  9. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

You are truly spoiled and do not understand distribution constraints of you think this is old.

Pantalones likes this.
  10. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

One of the side flaps I believe. If I'm by there again today I'll snap a pic. The other GR boxes had them as well IIRC.

11. joeyjoey104

Well, when the brewery is 40 minutes from the bottle shop, how do they sell two month and one month old IPAs. I misspoke, the Wolf Among Weeds was almost two months old, packaged on 4/7/2015. We have a lot of breweries in CA, so I know other craft breweries product is always fresh and moves. Maybe supply is exceeding demand and bottle shops are not buying Golden Road as often. Just my assumption for why the distributor would sell a two month old IPA... Not sure.

12. joeyjoey104

You are correct! I did a double check on the box, it states it in super small font... thanks for the heads up! I stand corrected on them not putting it on the box. Good to know for future purchases. Thanks!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  13. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (950) Sep 4, 2010 California

Funny thing is, you'll get month old hoppy beers at the breweries themselves on occasion lol.

Agree though the dating sucks, but a month isn't old.

14. joeyjoey104

I mean, we are in a technically advanced age, doesn't seem like it is that hard to process a beer and get it to the store in a week's time. If you can't do that, don't be in the beer distribution industry is all I'm saying. (Correction, Wolf Among Weeds was almost two months old, packaged 4.7.2015.

15. joeyjoey104

Month old at Golden Road? Or just at any craft brewery?

16. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (950) Sep 4, 2010 California

It was more of a general statement.

Depending on the size of the brewery, distribution, and tasting room sales, a lot of places could be sitting on month old kegs that they put on in the tasting room.

17. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 California

If beachwood as a small operation can get us their beers within two days of bottling, I'm pretty sure Golden Road with all their resources can get it to us within a week or two of their canning. But unlike Beachwood, Golden Road doesn't really give a crap.

18. Obsidian

Obsidian Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2012 California

You got lucky. Last time I bought Wolf Among Weeds it was 6 months old from Total Wine. Now I rip open the boxes in the store to check the dates.

If GR puts their dates on the outside of the boxes then it is either very new or I have been completely missing it.

19. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

Regardless of resources, distributing a pallet or two of a special release beer to a max distance of 50 miles, is a lot easier to do quickly than distributing several truckloads of beer throughout the state.

Sweet comparison.

20. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2010 California

Could be worse. There was a recent delivery of "fresh" Port Mongo from distro with 11/14 bottle dates...

21. SoNiC21

SoNiC21 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 California

22. joeyjoey104

Beachwood distributes down to SD too, which is more than 50 miles. Just saying! Plus, Golden Road is distributed pretty locally anyways, I think they just started in Nevada and Arizona.

23. Alexgnarcia

Alexgnarcia Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 California

The last time I've bought there beer was around July last year and I got burned that time and once before
    So i don't buy there beer anymore unless it's draft.Canned options like swamis and Modern Times get my $ now days

MiScusi likes this.
  24. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 California

as if distribution is handled by one truck and one company throughout the state. The closer to the distribution nexus, the quicker it should arrive. In Golden Road's case, it takes them a month.

Here's a better comparison for you then. Stone Enjoy By. You get it within a week in northern California. Russian River Pliny, within two weeks in Southern California.

25. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

So, a beer that's released every couple months and started out only being released in limited markets cause that was the only way they could ensure freshness, and a beer/brewery that any distributor would bend over backwards to keep? I don't think those are the best comparisons. Though I think Beachwood might be comparable to the situation Russian River is in (if they're not just self distributed).

That said, and all talk of month old IPAs aside, Golden Road definitely does have some sort of distribution problem. I've had a similar situation as the threadstarter, only the Wolf Among Weeds that had just been delivered in my version was three and a half months old. That's definitely too old for an IPA

26. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 California

Sippin on a month old Heal the bay instead of having popcorn watching this thread ..

Black_Rider likes this.
  27. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (553) Mar 26, 2013 California

glad to hear they finally did this. i talked to someone at pub there a while back and complained about it, and they said they were going to be implementing dating on outside of 4 packs

28. beachwoodbbq

beachwoodbbq Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2007 California

Just to chime in: comparing Beachwood to Golden Road is like comparing apples and oranges. I don't have the exact, current numbers, but it's safe to say that GRB produces 10-15 times as much beer as us. We self-distribute beer to fewer than 200 accounts across 3 counties--this allows us to deliver beer directly to the retailer within 1-4 days of bottling. It is a supreme advantage in terms of guaranteeing freshness, but there are some drawbacks. We send fewer than 500 cases of beer into distro per month (most months far less than that), which means many of our fans/supporters are unable to secure our bottles on a regular basis. We don't want this, it's just the reality or our scale at the moment.

In contrast, GRB because of their scale is able to reach far more consumers, but they have to use (per CA law) distributors--and also retailers who don't know or care as much about craft beer as the rest of us. If you're having problems with the freshness of GRB or Beachwood or any other local brewery, contact them/us. We all care....that is a promise. While a brewery the size of GRB is under some pressure to sell all the beer they make, regardless of timing...it is not they who choose to sell months old beer...that is either the distributor or the retailer. Let them know and see what happens.

29. SoNiC21

SoNiC21 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 California

Any word on an expansion/or bigger production?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.