Good & accessible beer store in upstate NY for Equilibrium?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by mrz200, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrz200

mrz200 Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

driving from Mass to ashveille NC during kids vacation week and I'm trying to snag some local brews without triggering the "no dad, not more beer!" line from the rest of the family....

We are taking 84W and will be passing through Middletown, but won't be during brewery hours. Would love to find a store in the area that would be worth stopping at.

Stopping for the night in Hershey PA...so if anyone's got rec's for a store & beers in that area I'd take it too

cheers

2. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I don't think you can get cans outside of releases. For draught beer there's a place right in Middletown with a growler station, called The Beer King. Right now they have Equillibrium, District 96 and Rushing Duck on tap, and I bet that's pretty typical for them.
    www.beermenus.com/places/25056-the-beer-king

yossle and mrz200 like this.
  3. ingchr1

ingchr1 Jun 4, 2008 New York

4. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Sam the Beer Man in Binghamton has gotten them before, but not consistently.

5. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

Since you are going to Hershey, I'll recommend Funk Brewery. I'm not sure about your intended route from NY, but their main brewery is in Emmaus PA. They also have a brewpub 15 minutes south of Hershey in Elizabethtown. I think their fruity IPA (Silent Disco) and their Citrus IPA are both excellent beers (4 or 6 pack cans).

About 5 minutes away, is a brewpub called Moo-Duck. I"ve only had a couple brews from them, but both were of very good quality. The Joy Is In The Consumption (not being brewed at the moment) and She'll Never Let Us Call It That (DIPA). I believe they only sell crowlers.

I'm hoping to take a trip to south NY next week. I've never had Equillibrium, OH or other beers I've been reading about here on BA. Hopefully we'll both have good fortune. Enjoy your trip!

mrz200 likes this.
  6. mrz200

nice! what's the growler law in NY? seems like every state is a little different and in the process of changing, so it's not easy keeping up with the law. I've got a couple 'blank' (aka sanded off the logo of a brewery I would probably never visit again) ones that I'll probably bring.

7. mrz200

great info, thanks! looks like Funk is 15 minutes from our hotel.

8. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

If you are in the heart of Hershey with little room for movement, then Funk is probably your best bet as far as something you’d not get up your way. Troegs obviously gets up to MA, but they should have some bottles that are local/brewery only. If it’s a situation where you may want to compromise/pacify the rest of the family, I’d say Troegs.

Funk has food, but at last check it was just solid BBQ fare from the place next door. I’ve heard they’re expanding and doing their own food but I can’t say that’s 100% accurate or if it has happened in the past month.

If you want a place to load up on bottles/cans from a variety of places, check out Breski Beverage on Eisenhower Boulevard, probably 15 minutes away from where you’re staying.

mrz200 likes this.
  9. mrz200

awesome. We are actually in Grantville, Holiday inn right off 81 a little north of hershey & harrisburg.

10. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Oh, right. Familiar with that place for sure. From there you’re looking at about 20 minutes to Breski, 30 to Funk, and 10-15 to Troegs.

11. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Those will be good, but there's no limitation in NY- they should fill anything you've got.

mrz200 likes this.
  12. guinness77

guinness77 Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I really wanted to check it out but when we went there we stayed right in the heart of Hershey, but I’d look into giving Pizza Boy a look. That was just a little too far west from where we were coming from and I didn’t want to put the family out more than I already do. There’s a bottle shop on 422 a little east of Hershey called the Brass Rail which was ok. I did score a Mirror Mirror and an Abyss and I can’t get Deschutes where I live.

Second Funk. I picked up a 12-pack of Citrus cans at a bottle shop (brewery was closed) in Emmaus (sp?) and that’s a great ipa. I also scored a 4 of Shape of Hops to Come at the gas station right off the highway for $8.99 which is considerably cheaper than NY.

mrz200 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.