Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Great Britain Good Beer Guide styles claptrap

Discussion in 'Europe' started by marquis, Sep 20, 2013.

1. marquis

seanyfo, Zimbo and EmperorBevis like this.
  2. EmperorBevis

Zimbo likes this.
  3. Zimbo

Yes and no marquis. Most of the mistakes in the beer styles section should be easily seen by anyone who really knows anything about beer. The pale vs bitter 'mix up' was truly excruciating. I am however surprised by the fact that CAMRA continues to make these mistakes over the years despite having been corrected in the past. Roger Protz does have some explaining to do. But in a way I'm not disappointed because thanks to this internet which brings us together now 'the cult of the amateur' is all the rage . And its not just affected the world of beer or CAMRA. Its everywhere. People don't respect true researched knowledge anymore. In fact, there's a contempt for it.

*Sigh*

4. marquis

I do feel that when a campaigning organisation is charging people for information it has a duty to ensure that it's as accurate as humanly possible.The cult of the amateur doesn't apply in that case.
    I don't think that Roger Protz has lost the plot, I don't think he ever had it. He seems totally at sea over the whole business and hasn't got any grasp over what's taken place to get beers like they are today.

CwrwAmByth and Zimbo like this.
  5. Zimbo

Totally agree marquis.

I think this also goes back to a point which I have been trying to make for a long time. I truly love cask ale but I'm not convinced that CAMRA still has the interest of cask beer at its heart. And for me the evidence to support this belief just keeps growing.

6. marquis

At the grass roots level this isn't of course true but there are certainly some things I'd like to change.
    I'd like to see CAMRA bringing its guns to bear on the pubcos , or at least the bad ones as there are some quite enlightened ones too.
    At worst what they do is legalised robbery, encouraging people to put their own money in, let them have two or three years when if they work their socks off they can make a good living, then if they are successful ramping up the rent. While they are doing this of course they tie the supply down to their own inflated prices.
    We need pubs and the biggest threat to cask ale is pub closure.

7. CwrwAmByth

Well (mostly) "beer writer" who are in the big leagues of their profession, seem to exist only to recommend well known beers and give out obvious (and mostly false) information, to cater for the masses who know less than us internet beer geeks.

It really bugs me still that these people can still make a living from this knowledge (or lack thereof).

8. Zimbo

Having perused a widish variety of new beer books in various book shops I can only shake my head at CAMRA rolling out of the same old dull formatted GBG for 2014. So lacking in context. So obviously only designed for the same old CAMRA wallies who've used it since 1975. I'm disgusted. Like a bum in a sandwich board pounding the pavement against the might of Sapient Nitro.
    Cask beer deserves so much better.

9. Hanglow

I wonder if they have contracted it out for a number of years so have little choice to go with the editor, or if it's just an old boys club thing.

10. reprob8

I do wonder just how much 'hands on' editing Roger does.

11. rtrasr

This^^^. This not only true about beer but almost everything else. This mindset has infected our whole society.

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  12. marquis

Isn't this even more reprehensible from a professional beer organisation and a professional beer writer? This isn't Fred blogging to his mates , it's people who claim they know what they are talking about doing it for money.

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  13. CwrwAmByth

Yeah, plus the apparent stubbornness to change, as if it's also out of fear of the potential embarrassment of having to admit what they'd said about certain things until now has been wrong. Personal pride taking precedence over writing the truth.

14. rtrasr

It is people who should know better, doing it. It is very discouraging.

15. patto1ro

Subscriber

I gave the style bits of last year's guide a good kicking, only to see all the errors repeated in this year's. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

16. Slam_Dunkels

I only had a glance at it but it looks like there maybe a few interesting interpretations of style in the new 300 More Beers to dry before you die book from CAMRA.

17. Mark

18. marquis

The pub section is generally OK as it'd done by local branches. Pubs can change hands though between the pub survey and the time a GBG owner actually uses it!
    Online, check the CAMRA pub database of around 36000 pubs. It has full details but it doesn't say which ones keep their beer well.
    http://whatpub.com/

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe