Good beer in St Louis this weekend

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Gunslinger711, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Gunslinger711

Gunslinger711 Aspirant (219) Apr 16, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'll be heading to St Louis for a conference this weekend and wanted to know if there's any good seasonal beer to pick up. I'm from Indiana so get a little distribution from that way (Schlafly mainly), I'm interested more in seasonal and special releases.

Edit: Local Mead is also on the table as my wife and I have just got big into that.

Thanks in advance.

2. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Meyvn (1,134) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Side Project should have PN6 and Grisette to go.

Box of Chocolates is a chocolate quad from Charleville that was released a week or 2 ago and can be found on the shelf. Option 2(coffee imperial milk stout) from Rock Bridge Brewing and Bennie(mocha stout) from Logboat Brewing are both great. Most other Logboat beers are good choices as well.

3. drbumwine

drbumwine Initiate (131) Apr 22, 2016 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Fallen Flag from Narrow Gauge Brewing is really good.

Jonc likes this.
  4. Jonc

Jonc Initiate (150) Feb 12, 2007 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Try the OJ Run and Cloud City if you go to Narrow Gauge. Heck, I like them all!

5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (620) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Anything 2nd Shift

6. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Aspirant (216) Sep 25, 2016 Kansas
    Beer Trader

LSD from them is pretty darn good

7. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (446) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Just got back from St Louis. SP has PN 6 and Grissette, 2nd Shift has LSD and LSD coffee plus others and Narrow Gauge has crowlers of everything except Simcoe and Dollar Show. Oast, All the Citrus and Cloud City were amazing. Buy it all. Cheers!

8. Saluki-21

Saluki-21 Initiate (152) Jan 31, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

You picked a great weekend to go. As others mentioned Side Project should have Pulling Nails blend 6 and Grissette to go, and starting Saturday at 12 through their Shared Brewing name they'll have their first ever release with a double dry hopped pale ale Proof of Concept, as well as another yet named beer. Narrow Gauge is also releasing their stout Zavtrak (stout with cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla beans, and coffee) at 11 am. Highly suggest eating at the restaurant that Narrow Gauge is located inside (Cugino's) as well.

9. Gunslinger711

Beer Trader

10. Gunslinger711

Beer Trader

Thanks for all of the suggestions, visited 7 breweries, picked up some good stuff to share with my fellow hoosiers.

11. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

You did good my friend!

12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,501) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Anything this weekend? I'll have an hour or two in the city on Friday where I can step out and either have a beer or two on tap, or pick up some bottles to bring home. I'll be hubbed around the St. Louis University.

Maestro0708 likes this.
  13. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (272) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I'll be in St. Louis as well this weekend (for the very first time). I'm going to try to hit up Perennial, Side Project and 4 Hands. Schlafly is having a stout and oyster festival so I'm going to take the wife to that on Saturday. I'll be checking out the craft beer cellar for bottles as recommended.

Anyone know if there's a chance to find Abraxas?

dogbert617 and Harrison8 like this.
  14. Bigreid74

Bigreid74 Initiate (132) Aug 3, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Abraxas is currently available to-go from the Perennial tasting room. Probably won't find it anywhere else.

Maestro0708 likes this.
  15. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

The Schlafly Stout and Oyster fest is an awesome time. Not a whalezbroz max profits type of event but just good beer/food/tunes

Harrison8 and Maestro0708 like this.
  16. TeeJep

TeeJep Initiate (151) Apr 1, 2016 Iowa
    Beer Trader

You just nailed everything I plan on doing. I'll be in St. Louis for the first time as well this weekend, and I plan on hitting up Perennial, SP, and 4 Hands for sure. Hoping to find Abraxas, as well as some SP bottles to-go. The Schlafly Stout and Oyster fest sounds like a good time!

dogbert617 and Harrison8 like this.
  17. jesus_man

jesus_man Initiate (130) May 8, 2015 Illinois

Subscribed! I am not lucky enough to pull away from the family to get "beer time", but perhaps I can make the time someday to find some of these in one of the stores.

I did get to try the Box of Chocolates from Charleville and I need to get more of that!

18. leglock

leglock Initiate (120) Jan 24, 2017 Missouri
    Beer Trader

You might get lucky with the Abraxas. I have been to the tasting room a couple times in the last month and Abraxas has been on the to-go list both times.

19. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (272) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I visited Perennial on Saturday and unfortunately they did not have it to-go. I was able to try Abraxas 2016 at Side Project and loved it!

20. thedifferencemaker

thedifferencemaker Aspirant (202) Nov 17, 2013 Ohio

Visiting Sunday to Wednesday. My only plan is to check out Schafly, anything else?

gudbrande likes this.
  21. jesus_man

jesus_man Initiate (130) May 8, 2015 Illinois

Try their Ibex Celler Imperial stout. Mmmm

Harrison8 likes this.
  22. stevefenster

stevefenster Initiate (165) Mar 29, 2016 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Just to reiterate since it hasn't been mentioned in the most recent wave of posts: Narrow Gauge is really, really good. I highly recommend it.

zeff80, TeeJep and lemmy187 like this.
  23. shirtless_mike

shirtless_mike Zealot (515) Aug 4, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'll be in town on Sunday for Opening Day. I plan on making the usual stop at Beer Cellar and loading up. Was wanting to take my dad to Bogart's BBQ but they're closed. Any other recommended BBQ joints besides Pappy's that'll be open before the game?

And which brewery has a killer tap list right now? Side Project will be closed. Schlafly, while I love having pints after the game, always has the same usual fare. I'm open to something new.

24. carln26

carln26 Champion (883) Mar 5, 2004 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Side Project Brewery is open on Sundays.I would recommend a stop there and the new 2nd Shift a mile down Manchester

shirtless_mike likes this.
  25. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (149) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Sugarfire or Dalie's (which is out of the way but my favorite BBQ in the area)

26. shirtless_mike

Beer Trader

Ahh. Their website said Closed. Thanks for the heads up.

27. Gregwilsonstl

Gregwilsonstl Initiate (30) Aug 11, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

2nd Shift, Side Project, Narrow Gauge, Civil Life, Urban Chestnut, Perennial, 4 Hands, etc. Endless options in the Lou. Id put narrow gauge at the top of the list though if you like NE style IPAs, but itll be 20 minutes out of your way (but has decent food).

Side Project is top notch, but be prepared for crowds and a big tab.

28. shirtless_mike

Beer Trader

I usually make a lap around the city. The plan is to hit Sump around 11:30am for some cold brew, Side Project for a couple pours, Craft Beer Cellar for some bottles, a brewery I haven't been to yet (2nd Shift, Narrow Gauge, Civil Life), BBQ and then the ballgame. I always see 2nd Shift bottles when I'm in town but never make the jump. You guys give them a lot of love so I think I'll change that this trip.

29. eerickson7

eerickson7 Initiate (145) May 29, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Side Project's brewery is open Sundays (today included).

Their Cellar (a couple blocks away from the brewery) is closed Sundays.

30. bmf823

bmf823 Initiate (159) Jun 25, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Good people of St. Louis,

My boyfriend and I are making the pilgrimage to Side Project this Tuesday as part of a cross country road trip. Given the wealth of incredible beers available (especially if those coffee stouts make it through the weekend), I wanted to extend an invitation to anyone interested in splitting some bottles in the name of variety and thoroughness. We should be there for a few hours beginning at opening.

Cheers!

31. shirtless_mike

Beer Trader

Just wanted to extend thanks for the Narrow Gauge recommendation. I've been burned out on IPA lately. Needless to say they renewed my interest. Walked out with 5 crowlers.

TeeJep likes this.
  32. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (117) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Subscribe

33. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (6,390) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

The Ibex Cellar Imperial Coffee Stout is amazing, too.

34. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (195) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'm going to piggyback on this thread - I will be in STL next weekend. I like NEIPA's and it looks like Narrow Gauge is the way to go. Any other suggestions or things going on?

35. carln26

carln26 Champion (883) Mar 5, 2004 Missouri
    Beer Trader

NG is a great bet, also, Perennial is releasing their new APA Cave Torch in cans this week, and will have variants available throughout the week.

randjuke likes this.
  36. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

Get to 2nd Shift and try their new Little Big Hop IPA, its fabulous and available in 16oz cans. Great flavor, east coast turbid, and easy drinking

randjuke likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.