Good Beer on Oahu and Kaua'i

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by sanford_and_son, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (285) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Going to both islands in October, haven't been to Hawaii since I was old enough to enjoy beer. Any good beer spots I should check out? Thanks in advance.

2. rrryanc

rrryanc Disciple (310) May 19, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

My advice would be not to get your hopes up too much. There are some reasonable beers and spots scattered around HI, but it's really not a beercation spot by a long stretch. The IPAs tend to be really old (no surprise there), and anything strong doesn't really match the weather. Enjoy the Mai Tais...

jtmartino likes this.
  3. bugdoc

bugdoc Aspirant (208) Apr 4, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Real A Gastropub in Honolulu is solid - I was told that one of the Shelton brothers (that we all know and....love?) has an ownership stake in the place, which would explain the 'loons in the cooler and the otherwise headscratching selection of a place in Hawaii as one of the worldwide Zwanze Day sites this year and last.

Justinsosmart likes this.
  4. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 California

I'll cosign Real A Gastropub. They have a good selection on tap and bottles. I didn't get a chance to check out other places, however.

5. heresy22

heresy22 Devotee (435) Apr 9, 2007 California
    Subscriber

The ABC Stores in Waikiki surprised me by their selection of Coronado and Ballast Point beers.

6. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (656) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Yardhouse in Honolulu/Waikiki.

7. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,289) Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

The Kauai Island Brewery on the southern part of the island is a worthy spot. Their beers aren't great, but they are good/decent, and it's a pretty fun place to hang out. I also heard that a new brewery is opening in Lihue sometime soon. It might already be open, I was in Kauai in May.

Maui brews were easy to find, plus Sierra, Kona, Widmer, and Deschutes. But in general, Hawaii isn't a great place for beer.

8. aquazr1

aquazr1 Crusader (701) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Kauai Island Brewery is only about a year old and worth a visit. Their offerings are decent and there isn't much else on near them. Flexabull pretty much summed it up.

9. islandboi8204

islandboi8204 Aspirant (258) Jul 28, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Mark, you guys should definitely fly over for Zwanze day. I can't kick the keg all by myself :sunglasses:

10. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I highly recommend checking out Side Street Inn in Honolulu. Rogue brews a special pale ale just for this establishment and I haven't seen it served anywhere else. The beer isn't mind blowing, but still hit the spot and pairs real well with their famous pork chops.

11. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Any Maui advice? I'm leaving in two weeks.

ASUBeer likes this.
  12. bugdoc

bugdoc Aspirant (208) Apr 4, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Haha, damn you - if you don't earn the Six Pack badge on Untappd off the Zwanze Day beer, I'll be very disappointed.

Justinsosmart and islandboi8204 like this.
  13. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (153) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

This guy does a pretty good job in keeping Hawaii beer info up to date.

http://beerinhawaii.com/

Hawaii does suffer from being an island. Not a lot of breweries are willing to ship there (freshness issues). For that, craft brewing is growing steadily there. The last time I was there, I really enjoyed the Maui Brewing Company offerings. Look for the cans pretty much everywhere. Big Island Brewhaus is doing well on the Big Island. Hawaiian Island Brewing is also starting up on Oahu.

Here is something for you Californians:

http://beerinhawaii.com/2013/07/09/poll-which-california-brewery-do-you-want-most-in-hawaii/

Many years ago, I used to show up at the beach with a 12 pack of pretty much anything and shared it with anyone who wanted it. That sometimes led to more 'sharing' and sometimes led to some really memorable stories. "do you want to go pig hunting with us" is one of my personal favorites. If you are into stuff like that when on vacation, try packing some good California beer into your checked bag.

Just sharing the Aloha!!!!

14. Justinsosmart

Justinsosmart Disciple (313) May 14, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Maui Brewing has a brewpub in West Maui, it's amazing. There is also a WF by the airport and a bottle shop in Pa'ia.

ASUBeer likes this.
  15. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (153) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

@bugdoc- Almost forgot. Thanks for the info on REAL. That makes total sense now. I knew they had a hookup somewhere based on their selection but never delved into it.

16. sanford_and_son

Thanks for the info everyone. Definitely going to check out a few of these spots.

17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,188) Mar 18, 2010 California

They bottle it and sell it around the island. I got a bottle at one of the Tamura's locations.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  18. sanford_and_son

that blog is awesome! definitely gonna check out the Feral Pig on Kaua'i.

19. eaterfan

eaterfan Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm fairly new to the craft beer scene. Can someone tell me what Zwanze day is? I know it's off topic.

20. islandboi8204

islandboi8204 Aspirant (258) Jul 28, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zwanze day

It's an annual event tapping a Cantillon beer at the same time around the world.

21. goldenchild21

goldenchild21 Initiate (135) Sep 9, 2009 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

You'll enjoy Feral Pig. Good food and the best tap selection on Kauai. Kauai Brewing Company may be open by the time you get there, so check in on them. Kauai Islands Brewing Company is worth a visit as well.

On Oahu, make sure you visit Real. Anyone who says that there isn't good beer to be found on Oahu doesn't live here or hasn't really looked around much. There is a lot available (not as much as on the mainland) but plenty to keep any beer lover happy. There are a handful of great bottle shops as well. Beerinhawaii.com also lists where you can find those.

22. sanford_and_son

Yeah, Real looks very legit. Will definitely go there.

23. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Disciple (305) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I leave for Maui on 8/9 and was about the ask the same question. Cheers.

24. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (262) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

25. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,188) Mar 18, 2010 California

I was in Maui earlier this month to visit my parents. Your best bets for bottles are Whole Foods in Kahului, Tamura's in Kahului, and The Wine Corner in Paia. Maui Brewing is always a good bet, but not so much for their food in my opinion. If you are up for it, there is a brewery tour for $10 that includes a flight of their 4 flagship beers at the end and a token for a pour of anything at the brewpub down the road. I took my dad on the tour with me and he enjoyed it even though he doesn't really like beer.

You can always check out my reviews for other Maui beer spots with these links:

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?city=Kahului&c_id=US&s_id=HI
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?city=Kihei&c_id=US&s_id=HI
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?city=Lahaina&c_id=US&s_id=HI
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?city=Makawao&c_id=US&s_id=HI
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?city=Paia&c_id=US&s_id=HI

26. Hardcore

Hardcore Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Hawaii

Pretty much what everyone has said is good advice. I would recommend looking for Big Island Brewhaus beer on Oahu. Sold in bombers at a few stores Liquor Collection, Tamuras and a few others I'm sure. Check out the Feral Burger at the Feral Pig. It's not on the menu and they also may have one of the Kauai Island Brewery beers on tap there as well. The Brewery here on Kauai has good beer, not great, but worth trying. The nachos are pretty good and so is the service. There is a small wine shop in Puhi called the Wine Garden and they have a small selection, but sometimes they'll have harder to find stuff. I just got Black Butte xxv, Fresh Squeezed and a few Clown Shoes too. Feel free to ask me anything about Kauai.

sanford_and_son likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.