good deals

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by crusian, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

I know these come up here and there,but i just got a damn good deal.
    At a bar by my moms house in washington.
    To go, i just got 12 la folie 2014 and a mix case of almanac sours for $5 a botttle.
    Wtf? They said they didnt want them, and they were not selling. 2013 bbomb, $9 Sour in the rye, $9. Wow

2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,687) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Wtf!!!! Bbomb for $9 a bottle. Where is this place (and what's its name)?

Can you BM me (if you don't want to divulge its name). I'll be driving up to Tacoma this weekend, and for $9 Bbomb, I can definitely make a slight detour!

3. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (130) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Cool story bro.

4. crusian

Trader

The sours were the only ones they would sell to go, and between my brother and i they asked us to buy them out. Bbomb selling quickly, almost gone tuesday. Pic attached for proof... buck off bottles during happy hour. As you can tell, they are confused on some things.
    [​IMG]

5. dphi

dphi Initiate (120) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Jesus, how hard is it to read the label on the bottle when you're typing something like that up?

beerophilia and sharpski like this.
  6. crusian

Trader

Yeah. Ordered the almanac wild ale knowing this, i assumed it would be an almanac sour at least... and lips of faith wild2 came out. They also had kopi speedway on tap... on nitro... and it wasnt kopi.

7. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Aspirant (242) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

This is blowing my mind right now. Half of these bottles are selling at or below COST. They must have lost their buyer and didn't know how to sell it after or something? It makes zero sense that the same place that would know enough to bring in those bottles would have zero understanding of the beers or how to sell them.

Reminds me a little of a story I heard from a rep at Maletis who found an account in one of the deeper suburbs (I think it was an elks lodge or something) that had ordered a case of the Deschutes/HotD Conflux and hadn't moved but one bottle a year later (hardly surprising, considering the location/audience). He traded two cases of Bud Light for it (!!) and drinks one of the Conflux every few months. I've been able to taste a few and they are have been pretty spectacular.

sharpski likes this.
  8. crusian

Trader

Pretty much my response. She said they are trying to get rid of them. I said how many do you want me to buy. All of them, please... she made me feel like i was doing them a favor.

vurt likes this.
  9. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,176) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Glad I'm not the only one scratching his head over that. "You knew enough to seek out and order those beers, but didn't know how to move them in your market?"

10. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (374) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Where is this place?

11. crusian

Trader

Seeing how they dont really have any of the bottles left, im not going to say. I dont want people to go there and say anything derogatory to them.

12. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (374) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

It says Bottle Beer Special Tuesdays on what you're holding. So sounds like they do it every Tuesday.

beertunes likes this.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,533) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Looks like it's somewhere family friendly, as there seems to be crayons behind the beer beer glass in the pic.

14. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Interesting, always nice to get beer at cheaper rates. I know I'm hoping to score some 120 minute for 2 bucks again.

15. beerophilia

beerophilia Initiate (93) Oct 8, 2011 Washington

Another good reason not to post the name of the place is the WSLCB. The Tuesday specials won't be around long if those folks find out about the pricing...

16. crusian

Trader

Wslcb? Guessing washington state liquor control board? Seriously? Why can't people charge what they want?

17. whiskey

whiskey Disciple (320) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Trader

Huh, they never seemed to affect the pricing of beer, just liquor. At least from my experience living in WA.

18. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,533) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

IIRC, we have a rule that must be a certain minimum mark-up (I think 10%) from wholesale. There are some legitimate reasons for some of these rules (eliminate favoritism, fights against collusion in pricing, etc), but yeah, a place should be able to blow out old stock.

19. beerophilia

beerophilia Initiate (93) Oct 8, 2011 Washington

There isn't a 10% rule that I've seen in the code, but there is a rule stating that no alcohol can be given away or sold for less than wholesale cost.

beertunes likes this.
  20. crusian

Trader

Maybe we should delete this thread then?

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  21. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

nah, it's cool to see peeps getting stellar deals

jason_nwx and chinochino like this.
  22. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (591) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Portland's Whole Foods Pearl location is having a Spring Cleaning sale. Certain bottles are tagged with a green Spring Cleaning label, some deals better than others. Picked up 2013 Pelican Stormwatcher and 2013 Alesmith Decadence doppelbock, each for $5 off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.