Good hop to pair w/hull melon?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by makisupapolice14, Jun 11, 2018.

1. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Initiate (195) Jun 5, 2005 New York

im making a ne pale ale soon where I plan to feature hull melon. Small bittering addition and significant whirlpool/dry hop. Are there any other hops that would play a good supporting role? If so, what ratio of hull melon to supporting hop would you use?

I have plenty of Ctz, mandarina, halluertau blanc, citra, cluster, le dorado, Cascade, chinook and mosaic.

My gut says to mix with a bit of mandarina or halluertau blanc. I've never used any of these varieties though so I'm all ears.

spersichilli likes this.
  2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (235) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Citra and mosaic or citra and el dorado

3. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (341) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Yeah, pair it with Mandarina and Blanc. And call it a German IPA. Also, use all German grains and yeast. I don’t know for sure if this would be any good, but it is on my list of beers to brew.

spersichilli, Soneast, Lukass and 3 others like this.
  4. makisupapolice14

I love citra and mosaic and use it often. I'm just worried it will overshadow the hull melon maybe.

5. makisupapolice14

That's a solid idea! K97 yeast maybe. Pils and Munich malt

spersichilli likes this.
  6. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Pils and Carahell

But seriously don't pair it with something as strong as Mosaic and Citra unless you plan on
    using a lot less of those. The Huell Melon will be completely lost. I would do an all German
    one if you have those other German hops. It will be a refreshing change. You might have to up the quantities a bit as those hops aren't all that punchy, Blanc seems to be the strongest of the bunch.

7. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (133) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

don't pair it with mandarina unless you want to be disappointed. They're good hops but a combo of huell and MB just don't seem to work well in an IPA unless you pair them with a hop that is going to outshine them. I did a 2oz of each in the whirlpool, 1oz MB/0.5oz HM biotrans dry hop, and 1.75HM/2.75MB/0.5oz Amarillo 3 day DH in a 2.5g batch and it was just mehhhhhhhhhhh. I mean you can triple the amount in the same sized batch but it's not going to give you what El Dorado, Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, etc are going to give you.

Now if you want to make a light crisp, lightly dry hopped law mower beer....

MrOH likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,619) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

And unless you utilize Citra & Mosaic in tiny proportions to the Huell Melon they will indeed overshadow them.

I suspect that Huell Melon is a less than ideal choice for a 'NEPA' but please report back how it worked out for you.

Cheers!

Prep8611 likes this.
  9. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

I just did Huell Melon and Eldorado in my neipa on Saturday as an experiment. I will report back on how this turns out. I used 8oz of each in a 175 degree 30 min whirlpool and I will add 2oz of each tonight for high krausen dry hop

JackHorzempa likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

Premium

Are you experienced in brewing with those two hops (e.g., previously brewed a beer that featured Huell Melon, previously brewed a beer that featured El Dorado)?

Cheers!

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'd add that Nelson would be a nice addition or substitution.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. TooHopTooHandle

I am very experienced with El Dorado (bout 12 beers), but have never used huell melon

13. JackHorzempa

Premium

Have you brewed a beer that solely used El Dorado for flavor/aroma additions? If so, how would you describe the aroma/flavor profile of that beer(s)?

Cheers!

14. Prep8611

Making a good beer was my first point. The huell melon is gonna get lost I agree but it’s gonna make either a bad ipa or be completely lost. Why not try it in a blonde, pilsner, or saison?

JackHorzempa likes this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Premium

I was sorta going in that direction with my post of: "I suspect that Huell Melon is a less than ideal choice for a 'NEPA'..."

Cheers!

Prep8611 likes this.
  16. makisupapolice14

There's a local brewery that does a hazy huell melon pale ale that's super nice, but not a beat you over the head typical ne pale ale. That's kinda what I'm hoping for. I have a 1/2 lb of huell melon and was planning to do 5-6 oz whirl and dry hop. Figured supplementing with another hop that wouldnt mask the melon could be worthwhile.

Interestingly enough it seems in reading up on huell melon some sources state it's ideal for neipa or pale. Whether that's true is another story

17. JackHorzempa

Premium

Please report back after brewing your 'NEPA' with Huell Melon and let us know whether this beer is "true".

The beauty of homebrewing is that we can do whatever we want.

I really do not have much to help you here as regards a 'good' complimentary hop. I have already posted my concerns for Citra and Mosaic hops. Maybe Mandarina Bavaria would 'work'? All of the commercially brewed beers that I had that featured this hop were 'mild' in comparison to Citra/Mosaic hopped beers.

Perhaps at some later date @TooHopTooHandle will relate how his Huell Melon/El Dorado beer turned out?

Cheers!

18. TooHopTooHandle

I have done one pale ale with El Dorado. I find it very fruit/tropical and packs a heavy pineapple flavor/aroma. Combine it with Denali and it makes one nice combo.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. TooHopTooHandle

I will for sure post back with my results. I will be kegging it mid next week.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  20. bryantc3

in this day and age where galaxy goes for insane money (if you can even find it by the pound in the last 4 months) and cryo hops are flying off shelves, hop sellers are going to say any hop that has the slightest hint of tropical/citrus aroma/flavor is good for NEIPA so they can sell them. Hell, chances are the big hop farm are even spending to get content pieces written on third party sites to push the plethora of hops sitting on the shelves as "good for NEIPA" so people buy the $10/lb HM hops to clear shelves.

just like breweries throwing "DDH" on everything, it's a marketing ploy.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  21. epk

epk Initiate (162) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

If you were actually looking, some Aussie hops have landed - http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/Import_Hop_Pellets_2017_s/2053.htm - they still have 2 and 8 oz. left of galaxy now. The full lb. bags went quick, I guess.

bryantc3 likes this.
  22. bryantc3

thanks, ordered some Vic Secret. been dying to make a vic secret + mosaic after having that combo from Other Half last year.

epk likes this.
  23. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (464) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Believe me, it will. Hull melon gets drowned out easily. Use hops with low AA% and moderate aroma/flavor profiles. Try Rakau.

24. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (464) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I’m brewing an all Huell Melon Kolsch on Thursday. It will be awhile before it is ready but I will report back...for science.

25. JackHorzempa

Premium

Please do report back.

I enjoyed drinking Sixpoint Köld Schauer – a Kolsch.

Cheers!

26. TooHopTooHandle

I figured I would give an update on these hops. I have not gone in the keg yet, but my beer has made a weird turn once I started cold crashing it. I have used this same exact grain bill for over 10 neipas and have not had a single issue before, but here is what it now looks like since starting cold crash.
    [​IMG]
    It turned a weird brownish red color and normally it's a nice bright orange juice color. I did everything exactly the same in my process and ingredients as my other neipas. Maybe I did something wrong somewhere, but the only difference in this beer and process is the hops from 47hops. I'm kind of lost here as I am about 95% sure I didn't make any mistakes. Does anyone have any insight to what caused this color I've never seen it happen before. The beer has been in the same vessel since the start and when i start cold crashing I always put a balloon full of co2 on the end of the blow off tube to prevent it from sucking in oxygen.

*edit* it has been 1 week since brew day**

27. JackHorzempa

Premium

I can't think of any reason why using differing hops would cause a darkening in color. I can think of only one reason for the why beer would be darker than expected but I'd rather not speak its name.

Hopefully the beer will taste OK despite the color change?

Cheers!

28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,206) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

29. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (791) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Maybe the hop oil content wasn't high enough to bond with the yeast cells? Lack of bio-transformation? So everything dropped out, rather than remain in suspension, resulting in a darker appearance due to lack of particulate.

MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Premium

Maybe @Soneast is onto something here? Maybe it is just a case that the permahaze did not develop like it did in previous batches and therefore this batch has a darker appearance?

Cheers!

31. Prep8611

While possible I tend to think oxygenation happened somehow. I’d be interested in knowing how it tastes.

32. JackHorzempa

Premium

Well, that would be the 'acid test'. Hopefully @TooHopTooHandle will report back on that topic at a later date. And hopefully the report will be that the beer tastes OK.

Cheers!

Prep8611 likes this.
  33. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (489) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I'm with Soneast on this one.
    If you did the same process you always do. I doubt you have oxygen ingress. I'm more of the mind it's the hops you are using do not have the various science bits as the other hops various science unementionables which yeast can get involved with and cling onto.
    You are in a different group of compounds which make up the aromatics, and the flavor profile.
    Brewers are getting acclimated with this space by discovering bio transformation. But... Cannabis friendly sites do a far better job of breaking this down than hop providers for some reason.
    re: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/terpenes-the-flavors-of-cannabis-aromatherapy

34. TooHopTooHandle

I find it hard to believe its oxygen ingress since only being 7 days since pitching yeast and its stayed in the same vessel the whole time. I'm thinking the hop oils have something to do with it

35. TooHopTooHandle

Once I get it kegged I will report back on the results. Like I stated before I really think it's related to the hops. I have my neipa process down pretty solid.

36. JackHorzempa

Premium

If the difference is hop variety related my guess is that this is due to varying levels (and types?) of polyphenols vs. an essential oil aspect.

Cheers!

37. TooHopTooHandle

@JackHorzempa well I pulled a sample from the keg tonight. It's not fully carbed yet, but it def lacks big time in the hop character, is very muted, aroma is not there, and weak compared to my previous versions. For having 20oz of hops in this beer it should not taste/smell like this. The aroma is even muffled. I have made beers with 6oz of hops that expressed more character than this. I just ordered some hops from Yakima valley and will be doing the same exact grainbill, water chem, and same 8th gen London 1318. If it turns out the same with these new fresher hops then I know it's the yeast and it has taken a bad turn. The yeast or the hops is the only thing It can be. I am very familiar with this recipe/process so I know it's not that. I have to brew my saison next then I'll do the neipa again. I'll report back on what happens.

JackHorzempa likes this.